Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 [11]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Stevenage V Oxford united Official matchday thread  (Read 13791 times)
kaufman

« Reply #150 on: Friday, April 2, 2010, 15:55:51 »

Interesting to see Exeter beating Colchester 2-0 at this moment.
Have to play both very soon
BelfastRobin

Ignore
« Reply #151 on: Friday, April 2, 2010, 15:58:08 »

Indeed! Exeter's away form is atrocious.. won twice away all season..Colchester aren't in form evidently either! Good for us..if Exeter keep racking up points...then they will have less pressure when they face us.

"Eric Sabin - the new Thierry Henry"
DUNSWORTHY

Ignore
« Reply #152 on: Friday, April 2, 2010, 15:59:13 »

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha Pox lost!!!
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #153 on: Friday, April 2, 2010, 16:01:46 »

Interesting to see Exeter beating Colchester 2-0 at this moment.
Have to play both very soon

Exeter have hit a bit of form...I've always been wary of them since 79/80, when we beat Bury 8-0, had only conceded something like 6 goals at home, then lost to them 2-3 on Boxing Day in the next game  Sad
One F In Fitton

« Reply #154 on: Friday, April 2, 2010, 16:06:02 »

...it's not really hatred, but pantomime villainy for the majority of Town fans.

I think it can be summed up by saying age has a lot to do with it. People who are old enough to remember games in the 60's or earlier, still like to look down on O*ford and pretend that they don't REALLY matter to Town fans - wrong. It's not just on here, I've noticed this for years with friends/family of mine. It seems to be older people that are pretty much out of touch with the younger generations of Town fans that think like this.

The reality is that - although everyone still loves to look down on them - they ARE hated (and not pantomime hate) by pretty much all Town fans that grew up from the late 70's onwards.
Iffy's Onion Bhaji
petulant

Ignore
« Reply #155 on: Friday, April 2, 2010, 16:12:31 »

With Colchester seemingly falling away it's a good time to play them next week. By all accounts Tranmere and Exeter are poor away from home as well so I really do think we could get 9 from those games. That means tomorrow would be a huge bonus if we get anything at all. I'll certainly take 10 from the next 4.
dell boy

« Reply #156 on: Friday, April 2, 2010, 16:15:18 »

I think it can be summed up by saying age has a lot to do with it. People who are old enough to remember games in the 60's or earlier, still like to look down on O*ford and pretend that they don't REALLY matter to Town fans - wrong. It's not just on here, I've noticed this for years with friends/family of mine. It seems to be older people that are pretty much out of touch with the younger generations of Town fans that think like this.

The reality is that - although everyone still loves to look down on them - they ARE hated (and not pantomime hate) by pretty much all Town fans that grew up from the late 70's onwards.

I'm probably a youngest like yourself Wink - been watching Town for 40 odd years.

Even though Oxford were a rival when they came on the scene, Bristol City always held my real hate and still do.
One F In Fitton

« Reply #157 on: Friday, April 2, 2010, 16:18:31 »

Which brings us to the Scum.  This is not about banter or joshing.  Reg and others may have a point on history and certainly gates  (no one said Milwall attract the biggest crowds at Chelsea or West Ham) but its about intensity.  If seeing the yellow and blue scummers on the pitch or the terraces doesn't arouse a uniquely intense feeling of hatred then IMO (and no insult intended) you would be missing one of the essential facets of being a Town fan.

Brilliant. Bang on. This is exactly how I - and many others - feel.
One F In Fitton

« Reply #158 on: Friday, April 2, 2010, 16:34:08 »

I'm probably a youngest like yourself Wink - been watching Town for 40 odd years.

Even though Oxford were a rival when they came on the scene, Bristol City always held my real hate and still do.

Ha, yeh I reckon we're sort of in-between young & old eh. You started going just a few years before me.

I totally understand & respect that Swindonians & those West of Swindon grew up hating City the most (& still do). But I also feel that surely it loses something when they are far more concerned about their city neighbours than us.

Overall though I think it's great that we've got so many enemies. It makes the whole thing more interesting, and it means more games with an atmos & more £££ for the Club. And more potential for clobbering someone in the mush and kicking them in the bollocks, for those that enjoy that sort of thing.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 [11]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: