Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: How has the recession hit you, as a football fan?  (Read 2069 times)
Meltdown

« on: Thursday, March 25, 2010, 12:41:14 »

Hello –

I am currently in the process of researching and authoring a study on how the recession has hit football.
The general consensus of ‘experts’ in 2007 was that football was “recession-proof”. I think the past three years have probably indicated that this was not (and is not) entirely the case. A startlingly small amount has thus far been written on the topic too – we get the odd bit here and there but nothing detailed and certainly nothing comprehensive.

Part of my research comprises a short questionnaire, the results of which I intend to put to football finance experts, fan bodies and a selection of clubs themselves. This questionnaire is aimed at fans; primarily how the recession has influenced their spending on football and attendance of games themselves.

I would be extremely grateful if you could spare a couple of minutes of your time and complete this survey (located at http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/football-recession ). It comprises 18 questions and should only take 2 or 3 minutes to complete. I am aiming to get responses from fans of every league club in the country.

It would be of huge benefit to me if you could help with this. If you have any questions (or, indeed, something to say on the subject), feel free to contribute them to this thread & I’ll do my best to answer them.

Mods – I hope this is in the correct part of your forum, thanks.

Thank you, & good luck for the rest of the season!

Meltdown

http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/football-recession
mexico red

Demasiado no es demasiado

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: Thursday, March 25, 2010, 12:44:57 »

done. who do you support and what are your feelings on it?
herthab
TEF Travel

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: Thursday, March 25, 2010, 12:46:37 »

I support Swindon! My feelings are that it hasn't really affected me at all.

Thanks for asking KOT, it's nice to know you care.

It's All Good..............
mexico red

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: Thursday, March 25, 2010, 12:47:16 »

Im a lover not a fighter
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: Thursday, March 25, 2010, 13:51:00 »

Im a lover not a fighter
Although not great at either, allegedly

Done the survey. Good luck with the study
Meltdown

« Reply #5 on: Thursday, March 25, 2010, 17:14:47 »

Thanks everyone.

Sorry, I did reply to this earlier - internet difficulties kicked in and the post obviously didn't go through.

I'm actually a West Ham fan  Doh

I'm in two minds about the impact the recession itself has had. I do think a lot of clubs have very unstable foundations, built on credit. They need credit in order to operate. When this credit dried up, they run into difficulties. So in that sense, the recession has hurt a lot of clubs. Saying that, the general state of football finance is a mess at the moment. Look at Pompey for example - you could argue all of their problems are down to financial mismanagement and bad decisions on behalf of the owners.

From a fan's point of view...well, attendances are, on the whole, decreasing. Ticket prices have been rising for years and it looks like (with this decrease in attendance) they have started to steady and, in some cases, decrease already. So the clubs are beginning to react to that. There are a number of clubs trying to wheel in ST holders with 'gimmicky' schemes as well (buy next year's ST now, get your money back if England win the World Cup...I can't remember which club is doing this off the top of my head).

I'll be interested to see how much fans actually cite the recession as a reason for a decline in attendance. A lot of studies have been done (Virgin Money have done some excellent work) on how the cost of attending a football game has risen. Not a lot has been done though, as to WHY attendances have tailed off. Arguably, it was a natural thing when prices got to an unsustainable level. The recession is another option. I'll post my results when they're in.

Thanks again, it really is appreciated.
mexico red

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: Thursday, March 25, 2010, 17:28:34 »

our attendances are going up Smiley
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: Thursday, March 25, 2010, 17:53:28 »

Because the board have absolutely slashed ticket prices for the last 2-3 years, and we're doing well.
suttonred

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: Thursday, March 25, 2010, 21:26:50 »

I'm going to far more matches than i did 10 years ago, more to do with more spare time and disposable income, now my daughter is a bit older than any negative affect a recession might have, plus we are good to watch, and the social side of it is good.
JOHNNY REEVES

« Reply #9 on: Thursday, March 25, 2010, 21:31:55 »

back in the town end next season
DMR

« Reply #10 on: Thursday, March 25, 2010, 21:46:13 »

Are you doing this for a reason... journalist, dissertation etc, or are you just a bit of a geek? Done the survey btw!
Meltdown

« Reply #11 on: Thursday, March 25, 2010, 21:57:30 »

Are you doing this for a reason... journalist, dissertation etc, or are you just a bit of a geek? Done the survey btw!

ta! Bit of both the first two mate, journalistic dissertation. However, as I'll effectively be freelance in a couple of months time (saying that, I am effectively a freelance now...lots of unpaid stuff for papers, websites, etc.), this could end up somewhere better than a lecturer's desk. I'll see how it turns out & go from there!
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: Thursday, March 25, 2010, 23:52:05 »

It hasn't. hope that helps
redbullzeye

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: Friday, March 26, 2010, 00:06:17 »

Hi Meltdown, done the survey and best wishes with the research.  Just as an aside, I would have thought a recession would have boosted gates as people would have needed a panacea for their dismal lives!

sheepshagger
Suburban Capitalist........

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: Friday, March 26, 2010, 10:28:54 »

Done - I think the thing is that thre are always going to be supporters (like a lot on this forum) who will find the money to see Swindon play.

The much more difficult thing to guage is those "floating" supporters - the ones who pick and choose their games.

I would think they are more likely to go less due to money issues - but it is very hard to survey them as no-one knows who they are or how to reach them....

Wise men say........
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Print
Jump to: