Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Kewell sues Lineker over soccer column  (Read 3377 times)
Whits
Morphined Up

« on: Wednesday, June 8, 2005, 22:04:04 »

Former England football hero Gary Lineker is being sued for libel by Liverpool player Harry Kewell.

Midfielder Kewell, 26, is seeking damages over comments made by the sports presenter in a newspaper column in July 2003.

The case centres around the content of an article, headlined "Kewell move made me feel ashamed of the game", in which Lineker criticised the Australian's transfer from Leeds United to Liverpool.

Kewell is suing Lineker and the Sunday Telegraph in a contested case expected to last up to seven days.

It will be heard by Mr Justice Eady and a jury at London's Law Courts.

Former England captain Lineker is named as first defendant in the proceedings.

Kewell alleges that the article was defamatory of him, claiming that it discredited him.

After news of the legal action was announced last year, the Sunday Telegraph issued a statement saying: "We were surprised that Harry Kewell decided to issue a writ ten months after the article was published.

"Mr Lineker is entitled to express his opinions, which are respected for their integrity throughout the world of soccer."

Kewell said that he couldn't quite believe it when a friend contacted him in Switzerland about the article headed "Kewell move made me feel ashamed of the game".

"I said it can't be true, but eventually when I came back I saw the article and I was shocked. I was amazed by what he said ... I couldn't believe he wrote something like that."

He said: "When I read the article I felt like I was badly assaulted."

Coming from someone "so high up in the profession", it had hurt him on a "professional level".

"It brought shame to me because people out there think I am a dishonest person and I am not.

"I am a very honest person. I stand by my word and it just shocked and amazed me that he could say things like that without even consulting me."

Fook off Kewel

http://www.itv.com/news/britain_205597.html

Plays in midfield and his name is Tommy Miller,
signed him from Huddersfield his name is Tommy Miller,
first touch is average but his second is a killer,
heeeeeey Tommy Miller!
STFC Village

« Reply #1 on: Wednesday, June 8, 2005, 22:06:48 »

What a cock-jockey. Kewell that is, Lineker is a legend, Kewell is scum on a par with El-Hadji Diouf :evil:
sonicyouth

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday, June 8, 2005, 22:07:41 »

Kewell is a fucking useless twat!
Simon Pieman
Original Wanker

« Reply #3 on: Wednesday, June 8, 2005, 22:09:07 »

What a piece of knob cheese. It said "Kewell made ME feel ashamed of the game"

ffs it's an opinion, get over it cunt face :roll:
Whits
Morphined Up

« Reply #4 on: Wednesday, June 8, 2005, 22:12:39 »

free country my arse, can't say anything without offending some aussie cunt  Cheesy

Plays in midfield and his name is Tommy Miller,
signed him from Huddersfield his name is Tommy Miller,
first touch is average but his second is a killer,
heeeeeey Tommy Miller!
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: Thursday, June 9, 2005, 08:50:52 »

Coming from someone "so high up in the profession", it had hurt him on a "professional level".

Playing like a turd and crying off so often has done more harm at a "professional level" than a Lineker article ever has.

Also the idiot hasn't realiseed most of us had never even seen the article. Now it's splatterd all over the media.
janaage
People's Front of Alba

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: Thursday, June 9, 2005, 09:14:05 »

I used to rate Kewell, when he was at class he was class.  He's now a grade a cunt.  Let's deport the wanker!
Asher

« Reply #7 on: Thursday, June 9, 2005, 09:19:08 »

Lineker will win this and kewell will be faced with a massive legal bill! What a pleb, and what a word, pleb, thats my word of the day
janaage
People's Front of Alba

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: Thursday, June 9, 2005, 09:21:38 »

How can a man change so much though, that's the question.  He was such a talent at Leeds then almost as soon as he joined the scouse twats he just feel apart.  I know he's struggled with injuries but even taking that into account, he's attitude stinks nowadays.
Asher

« Reply #9 on: Thursday, June 9, 2005, 09:31:09 »

Big time charlei, thought he had made it, stopped making effort
walrus

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: Thursday, June 9, 2005, 09:31:55 »

He did have his problems with his injuries at Leeds but did enjoy a couple of good seasons there where he looked to be going on to bigger and better things.  It was shameful the manner in which he treated Leeds, as many other of the so-called "big" names did, and I cannot see the justification for Kewell sueing Linekar.  Kewell is a nobody, he has proven nothing at Liverpool - he couldn't even finish the Champions League Final without coming off injured.  Linekar is a legend, and a gentleman into the bargain.
janaage
People's Front of Alba

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: Thursday, June 9, 2005, 09:44:35 »

According to my BBC sources Gary Lineker's a nice fella but a gentleman he is not.  According to him Linekers a bit of a ladies man, who loves to play away from home.  Thing is none of the papers will run the story because they fear a public backlash due to Gary's popularity.  He is a legend though, and that's something coming from me.
Boeta

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: Thursday, June 9, 2005, 13:14:14 »

Fuck off and pour me a beer you Aussie twat
Piemonte

« Reply #13 on: Thursday, June 9, 2005, 13:15:41 »

kewell is an underachieving whinging crybaby cunt.

As OST said in his thread, his is the epitome of what is wrong with the modern footballer.
reeves4england

We'll never die!

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: Thursday, June 9, 2005, 13:21:50 »

lineker is a legend and has the respect of every English football fan in the country, and many who aren't!

Kewell was a great player when at Leeds but then fame got to his head, he treated the club like shit, his agent screwed them over and now look what happened. I think he should be punished by being forced to play for leeds or pay them the other £5m that went to him and his agent.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
Print
Jump to: