Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 ... 14   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Stadium Redevelopment Gathers Momentum  (Read 33731 times)
jayohaitchenn
Wielder of the BANHAMMER

« Reply #90 on: Friday, March 5, 2010, 12:24:36 »

I think we should rotate the pitch 180 degrees to put the opposition off.
Talk Talk

« Reply #91 on: Friday, March 5, 2010, 12:27:29 »

Paul is spot on about the open space in Central Ward. The longer term residents were already fuming about the loss of the sports grounds along the Shrivvy Road to high density housing before the old board/St Modwens fantasy of moving to Shaw and covering the CG site with yet more houses.

In a lot of ways those sports grounds were an opportunity lost, they would have been ideal for (e.g) a relocated cricket pitch if the council planners had had more foresight.
THE FLASH

Quick as a Flash!

Ignore
« Reply #92 on: Friday, March 5, 2010, 12:28:07 »

At half time!

Clems Army!
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #93 on: Friday, March 5, 2010, 12:29:21 »

I'd still like to see a cantilevered Stratton Bank that we can just tip up on hydraulic legs and tip Lids/Wovers/Saints fans out the back of the stand if they start getting hufty. Or just for our own amusement
Sippo
Living in the 80s

I ain't gettin on no plane fool

Ignore
« Reply #94 on: Friday, March 5, 2010, 12:29:39 »

Just put the ground on a rotating table, then let the wind do the rest.

If my calculations are correct, when this baby hits 88 miles per hour, you're gonna see some serious shit...
Barry Scott

« Reply #95 on: Friday, March 5, 2010, 13:48:25 »

I'd still like to see a cantilevered Stratton Bank that we can just tip up on hydraulic legs and tip Lids/Wovers/Saints fans out the back of the stand if they start getting hufty. Or just for our own amusement

I've always liked the idea of adding a roof to the Stratton Bank, using it exclusively for away fans and to install a sprinkler system in the roof to rain on them with icy cold water in all weathers. Maybe even supplement it with a snow machine and iced seats or something.
jonny72

Ignore
« Reply #96 on: Friday, March 5, 2010, 13:56:35 »

Paul is spot on about the open space in Central Ward. The longer term residents were already fuming about the loss of the sports grounds along the Shrivvy Road to high density housing before the old board/St Modwens fantasy of moving to Shaw and covering the CG site with yet more houses.

In a lot of ways those sports grounds were an opportunity lost, they would have been ideal for (e.g) a relocated cricket pitch if the council planners had had more foresight.

The cricket pitch isn't an open space though is it, so objections to that being built on would be limited, and if that went it would leave plenty of space for the running track and some open space as well as plenty of land for development.

I got the impression from Fitton that the redevelopment would to a large degree be self funding, I don't see how they could even get close to that unless at least some of the surrounding land was used as well and the club were involved in the development deal for it. Or is there some massive income potential I'm missing?

Ignore
« Reply #97 on: Friday, March 5, 2010, 14:01:21 »

i think the club should be allowed to do something with the area behind the stratton bank.its a shitty run down rec now that has been left in a right mess the last few years.smashed glass on the crumbling paths,dog shit and litter all over the place.
that area could be spruced up by developing it without the need to touch the cricket-athletics-bowls clubs
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #98 on: Friday, March 5, 2010, 14:01:39 »

The cricket pitch isn't an open space though is it, so objections to that being built on would be limited, and if that went it would leave plenty of space for the running track and some open space as well as plenty of land for development.
No-one said it was. They were two separate points:
1) Moving existing facilities (cricket ground/athletics track/bowls green)
2) Not being able to just build on CG extension because of loss of open space
Power to people

Ignore
« Reply #99 on: Friday, March 5, 2010, 14:15:02 »

And the pavillion would have to go somewhere as well or get used for something as it is a listed building I beleive although I am led to beleive it can be moved

There is an option for something as both the athletics facilities and cricket pitch are not up to certain standards and if they was improved they could be used more often bring in more money, and hold county events but from what I vaguely recall laying a new cricket strip takes quite a while to bed in and they would not want to move when they could not play.

I would like to see the CG and surrounding area turned into a Sports centre so that different types of sports can be played and the facilities used all year round, let's face it the Oasis and Link are falling apart and I'm sure the council probably has not got the money to do much with them so there is an opportunity.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #100 on: Friday, March 5, 2010, 16:26:08 »

I've said it before and I'll say it again....I love the way when talk of new ground comes along, people get completely carried away.

If you read, Watkins' statement in the Adver, it gives a pretty clear idea of the sort of thing in their mind....

“It is a company which has got a raft of experience in and around the areas we are looking at, which is redevelopment of a stadium in situ, maximising the potential capacity during that redevelopment."

pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #101 on: Friday, March 5, 2010, 16:59:04 »

Well, yes, they've always said that's the preferred option. That's not a surprise to anyone, surely?
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #102 on: Friday, March 5, 2010, 17:01:18 »

Well, yes, they've always said that's the preferred option. That's not a surprise to anyone, surely?

There's a few posting here, who seem to think we're looking at shifting out the CC, SAC and the Bowls Club.

Maybe AF got a few ideas from Barry Hearn on Saturday.
Talk Talk

« Reply #103 on: Friday, March 5, 2010, 17:13:48 »

Indeed. The topic comes up every six months or so and the same suggestions ensue about huge development, a brand new stadium, moving all of the other facilities etc etc etc.

Can we find one of the more detailed threads from the past and sticky it?
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #104 on: Friday, March 5, 2010, 17:15:15 »

There's a few posting here, who seem to think we're looking at shifting out the CC, SAC and the Bowls Club.

Maybe AF got a few ideas from Barry Hearn on Saturday.
They're not mutually exclusive though. "In situ" means that they're looking to redevelop the stadium on the current site and probably within the current footprint. That doesn't preclude that they'd want to do that as part of a wider redevelopment of the overall site, which would bring these factors into play.

Incidentally, AF wouldn't need to have spoken to Mr Hearn on Saturday to get some ideas about building flats etc into the ground - we included these kinds of ideas in the Trust proposals published 3 years ago which we know the board have looked at as part of their overall investigation into what would be possible.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 ... 14   Go Up
Print
Jump to: