Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Paynters Contract Negotiations On Hold  (Read 3480 times)
STFC_Gazza

« on: Wednesday, March 3, 2010, 09:38:29 »

Well well, Billy Paynters contract negotiations are on hold until May, can hardly blame him I suppose. He could hit 30 goals for the season and would likely get Championship clubs with more money sniffing around. Atleast we got Austin and Pericard should Billy seek pastures new. Paynter has been pretty pants most places he has been so hope he stays here knowing he will be idolised here and have the right coaching but after having his best season you can hardly blame him for keeping his options open for him, his family and 2 young kids. Personally I think he will stay though. Probably just waiting to see if we get promoted as would get more money if we are in the CCC. That said he could get a clause in his contract saying he gets X increase if we go up!
jayohaitchenn
Wielder of the BANHAMMER

« Reply #1 on: Wednesday, March 3, 2010, 09:50:42 »

I think Paynter has his eye on playing in the championship next year, with or without us.
Colin Todd

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday, March 3, 2010, 09:55:36 »

I'll probably get a load of shit for this but I dont think he'd be a huge loss.

We would miss him and he's clearly had a very good season. I rate him as a player. However, I have the nagging feeling that he's a decent player having a great season rather than someone like Cox or Parkin who was clearly too good for us and should have been playing at a higher level.

I hope he signs on, but replacing him will be much less of an issue than replacing cox was because A. Cox was a much better player, B. We'll have 2 good strikers on the books already if he goes.

« Last Edit: Wednesday, March 3, 2010, 10:35:01 by Colin Todd » Logged
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday, March 3, 2010, 09:57:46 »

Agree with Colin mostly, although I'd say he's better than decent, but the general point about him not being as good as Cox, and the fact that we have possible replacements already on the books, is taken.
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Things can only get better

« Reply #4 on: Wednesday, March 3, 2010, 10:19:36 »

I agree with CT and nemo on this, yes he would be a loss but for his wages I am certain we could replace him with as good for similar wages as he wants...especially if we do go up to the Championship.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
DMR

« Reply #5 on: Wednesday, March 3, 2010, 10:27:38 »

I'll probablly get a load of shit for this but I dont think he's be a huge loss.

We would miss him and he's clearly had a very good season. I rate him as a player. However, I have the nagging feeling that he's a decent player having a great season rather than someone like Cox or Parkin who was clearly too good for us and should have been playing at a higher level.

I hope he signs on, but replacing him will be much less of an issue than replacing cox was because A. Cox was a much better player, B. We'll have 2 good strikers on the books already if he goes.

Agree 100%, in fact I'd go further and say if he thinks after a decent 5 months he can hold us to ransom he can fuck himself.
jonny72

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday, March 3, 2010, 10:39:05 »

I'd add on the fact that he seems to need the right player alongside him to hit top form, ie Cox or Austin, and without the right player he looks decent but nothing more. There are plenty of similar players about that we could pick up over the summer so I'm not too worried about losing him. I reckon he's taking a bit of a risk as come the summer if we're promoted we might start looking elsewhere rather than giving him the contract he wants.
tans
You spin me right round baby right round

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday, March 3, 2010, 10:42:53 »

No doubt his agent is being a cunt too.
STFC Bart

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday, March 3, 2010, 11:46:32 »

Agree with DMR
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday, March 3, 2010, 11:57:24 »

I'd add on the fact that he seems to need the right player alongside him to hit top form, ie Cox or Austin
Yes he does but what makes me rather keener to keep him than some seem to be is, as I've said before, the flip-side of that argument. ie that while by himself you can argue he's average, when we do get decent strikers, he seems to form very good partnerships with them. It's not that easy to buy good strikers - it's nigh on impossible to buy a good partnership. At best, you're always going to be buying a good striker of the "right type" to go along your existing striker and hoping the partnership works. So, if you have an existing partnership that's working well, as we do, I'd be very nervous about breaking it up.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday, March 3, 2010, 12:00:35 »

I have doubts he would make it in the championship ( But i may be wrong.) Given that, he's just trying to get the best deal while his stock is high rather than engineer a move to a higher league. Who wouldn't.  If he signs great, if not we'll put him in the grant smith bin  of greedy bastards and move on.
Phil_S

Who changed my Avatar ?!

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday, March 3, 2010, 12:05:04 »

Couple of points:
He has indicated he wants to sign. I know they all say that whatever, but it was the club who said we want to put it on hold.
His agent used to play under Danny Wilson at the scum in the slavetrading town. I think they have a reasonable relationship.
Billy must also realise that some of his success is the partnership he has.

Will he stay or go? I'd say that the odds are in favour of staying about 65/35

From the Dark Side
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday, March 3, 2010, 12:08:59 »

Another thought, if he's not signed a new contract yet, either because he wants a better one here or because he's holding out for an offer from above, then he really is going to have to play his socks off until the end of the season isn't he? So, it's all good for us really, as Batch says. You can start by putting five past Wovers on Saturday, Billy
Simon Pieman
Original Wanker

« Reply #13 on: Wednesday, March 3, 2010, 12:29:53 »

A bad run of form and the fans will be on his back again. Billy's had a struggle to fit in here, unfairly so in my opinion. Wouldn't blame him at all if he left.

I reckon the club are offering a proportion of his contract as goal or appearance bonuses and he wants it as regular wage.
random_five

Downton, Wiltshire

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday, March 3, 2010, 12:44:50 »

I'm inclined to agree with DMR as well..
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Print
Jump to: