Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Broken collar bone  (Read 3626 times)
Talk Talk

« on: Monday, March 1, 2010, 20:09:57 »

Ah the perils of a promising sunny day.

I decided to ride my Honda to work today. Hit a patch of ice on the back road to Cricklade and lost it. Bike is ok, just a few scratches but I took the fall on my right shoulder and busted my collar bone.

Anybody had a broken collar bone before? This is a straight fracture. How long do they take to heal and stuff? I'm supposed to be driving a minibus to Southampton in three week's time. Any chance?
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: Monday, March 1, 2010, 20:13:23 »

At least the bike is OK

Smiley

Sounds painful. No idea on recovery time but surely its got to be 4-6 weeks min- Get well soon

http://orthopedics.about.com/cs/brokenbones/a/collarbone.htm

How long does it take to recover from a collarbone fracture?
Clavicle fractures should heal completely within 12 weeks, but the pain usually subsides within a few weeks. Often patients are back to full activities before 12 weeks has passed, especially with younger patients.

As a general guide to return to activities, nothing should cause worsening pain. If not wearing a sling causes pain, wear a sling. If driving hurts the fracture site, don't drive. If throwing a ball hurts, don't throw. Once an activity doesn't cause significant pain, a gradual return can be attempted.

Recovery is usually complete, with a full return expected. Patients may notice a persistent bump where the fracture was (often for months or longer), but this should not be bothersome.

That's you stuffed!
« Last Edit: Monday, March 1, 2010, 20:15:47 by Batch » Logged
DMR

« Reply #2 on: Monday, March 1, 2010, 20:15:30 »

My younger bro broke his on the trampoline a few years ago and I think it was pretty much as good as new in a month or 5 weeks... although he was only 12 or 13 at the time so probably would've healed quicker. And he was strapped up the whole time. So I'd say your minibus chances are between nil and fuck all.

Oh, and hahahahahahahaha.
Samdy Gray
Dirty sneaky traitor weasel

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: Monday, March 1, 2010, 20:41:24 »

Fuck your collarbone, how's the bike?!
leefer

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: Monday, March 1, 2010, 20:48:00 »

Will heal fairly quickly but
Ah the perils of a promising sunny day.

I decided to ride my Honda to work today. Hit a patch of ice on the back road to Cricklade and lost it. Bike is ok, just a few scratches but I took the fall on my right shoulder and busted my collar bone.

Anybody had a broken collar bone before? This is a straight fracture. How long do they take to heal and stuff? I'm supposed to be driving a minibus to Southampton in three week's time. Any chance?

Get well soon....any room on the mini bus?
suttonred

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: Monday, March 1, 2010, 20:49:29 »

Yep, in the drivers seat.
jayohaitchenn
Wielder of the BANHAMMER

« Reply #6 on: Monday, March 1, 2010, 23:01:28 »

Yep, in the drivers seat.

Cheesy
herthab
TEF Travel

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: Monday, March 1, 2010, 23:04:11 »

I hope you die.

It's All Good..............
spacey

« Reply #8 on: Monday, March 1, 2010, 23:45:36 »

I still miss my dog
Talk Talk

« Reply #9 on: Tuesday, March 2, 2010, 00:06:44 »

I wasn't after sympathy you cunts, I wanted some bone mending experiences.

And yes Leefer, seats still going. Even if someone else has to drive (but they won't because I'm well 'ard).
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday, March 2, 2010, 00:08:26 »

My broken ankle took about six weeks to heal, my broken hand about three weeks.  Smiley

Am I right in thinking that bones heal quicker when you are younger?
Talk Talk

« Reply #11 on: Tuesday, March 2, 2010, 00:12:48 »

My broken ankle took about six weeks to heal, my broken hand about three weeks.  Smiley

Am I right in thinking that bones heal quicker when you are younger?

When you say 'heal', were they immobile or could you work up doing stuff with them before then?

Bones heal just fine at the age of 25 :-p
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday, March 2, 2010, 00:19:59 »

My ankle was in plaster, so I could walk on crutches straight away. My hand was in a splint. Collar bone I imagine is awkward because it's on your main "trunk", is your arm strapped to your body?
Talk Talk

« Reply #13 on: Tuesday, March 2, 2010, 00:27:40 »

My ankle was in plaster, so I could walk on crutches straight away. My hand was in a splint. Collar bone I imagine is awkward because it's on your main "trunk", is your arm strapped to your body?

Nah, they just gave me a crappy sling which I managed to singe with cigar ash five minutes after leaving A&E. To be honest the arm feels more comfortable left hanging rather than strapped up, apparently they do that to take the weight off your shoulder and stop it drooping as that is what the stupid fragile wanky bone is supposed to do in the first place. I have it on good authority that 4lb of pressure on the shoulder is enough to snap it and that it is the most common fracture.

The RAC man who recovered my bike this afternoon (and pushed it around, manhandled a bike trailer etc) broke his collar bone two months ago doing motorcross  Cheesy
LucienSanchez

Is this hospital called St. Croc of Shit?!

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday, March 2, 2010, 07:50:30 »

You probably should have quizzed him about recovery then...!

We made a promise we swore we'd always remember... no retreat, baby, no surrender
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
Print
Jump to: