Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Swindon's Club Crest  (Read 3807 times)
stfcinbmth

« on: Friday, February 19, 2010, 23:47:52 »

This has been puzzling me for years. Can someone explain why all the changes to the crest over recent years. I was bought up on the train version, then we had the orrible triangle version, then the round STFC version(I might have these the wrong way round so forgive me) I'm a great believer in tradition and I'm glad that the original has been reboorn, but can someone talk me through the changes please
Simon Pieman
Original Wanker

« Reply #1 on: Saturday, February 20, 2010, 00:09:47 »

The crest with the train I think was linked to the old council/town crest (I'm sure I've read that somewhere). I know the latin motto underneath the crest is the town's one too.

The diamond version was brought in to signify a brand new era, supposedly putting things like financial irregularities behind us. Ahem.

The current badge which replaced it was to try and make things a bit more traditional, especially as the diamond badge wasn't well liked. In reality a certain marketing company probably receives royalties from its use.

Don't know much about the other badges.
jonny72

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: Saturday, February 20, 2010, 02:43:07 »

My part time train spotter of a brother pointed out that the no loco's were ever made in Swindon with the bogie configuration the loco on the current badge has.

He said they shouldn't have made an error like that. I said get a life.
Talk Talk

« Reply #3 on: Saturday, February 20, 2010, 07:14:34 »

My part time train spotter of a brother pointed out that the no loco's were ever made in Swindon with the bogie configuration the loco on the current badge has.

He said they shouldn't have made an error like that. I said get a life.

I need to get a life too - the loco should be GWR green, not LMS red. Also, you don't get many white robins. It's a negative!
Phil_S

Who changed my Avatar ?!

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: Saturday, February 20, 2010, 09:35:10 »

I remeber Mr whippy inviting himself along to a Trust meeting at the Moonraker, when we were very concerned about the future of the club. We were all concerned about his "it's in my head" plans for building 400 houses around the County Ground, Sandy Grays prediliction for forgetting VAT (She's in an Advert on GWR now, I'm sure), the Will's subservience to a man who loved brown paper bags stuffed with cash, rumours of a relocation to Junc 17 etc
Mr Whippy wanted to discuss changing the club badge (He seemed to think he could win us over to supporting the shower that were in charge then) & droned on about it for ages until he was basically told to shut up.

From the Dark Side
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: Saturday, February 20, 2010, 11:35:08 »

The present thing is an abomination and should be binned forthwith...

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: Saturday, February 20, 2010, 11:37:24 »

what reg said
Spencer_White

« Reply #7 on: Sunday, February 21, 2010, 11:48:15 »

I always thought the ST logo was the absolute bollocks. Smarten that one up.

Didnt mind the diamond so much. I liked that other people slagged it off, because I like banter with other clubs fans.

I think supporters of other clubs think our new one is more acceptable, but really its a bit of a joke.
Spy

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: Sunday, February 21, 2010, 11:51:25 »

The diamond one was rubbish. It looked like some ill-advised attempt to "update" the badge. We ended up with something that looked like we have fuck al tradition.

I'm glad we changed it to the current one.
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Things can only get better

« Reply #9 on: Sunday, February 21, 2010, 12:35:15 »

The current one is vastly better than the diamond and the ST logo, both very poor, the only thing that needs to be changed is the train at the top, very poor piece of research by whoever designed the badge.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Harold Shipmans Glasses

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: Sunday, February 21, 2010, 12:36:43 »

best thing abouit the diamond was that it was easy to draw on your pencil case at school
Phil_S

Who changed my Avatar ?!

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: Sunday, February 21, 2010, 12:43:43 »

The current one is vastly better than the diamond and the ST logo, both very poor, the only thing that needs to be changed is the train at the top, very poor piece of research by whoever designed the badge.

Bit like Whippy's stadium (it's in my head) designs

From the Dark Side
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: Sunday, February 21, 2010, 13:01:21 »

[url width=800 height=600]http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y154/Reg__Smeeton/DSCF0023.jpg[/url]

If you want tradition it should look like this

leefer

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: Sunday, February 21, 2010, 13:11:03 »

Agreed though i love the pointy retro ST of the 70,s....the round crest with ST in the middle.
nevillew
Tripping the light puntastic

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: Sunday, February 21, 2010, 13:58:03 »

[url width=800 height=600]http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y154/Reg__Smeeton/DSCF0023.jpg[/url]

If you want tradition it should look like this

Without the 'DIV III' bit though Reg, then I'd agree wholeheartedly

Paolo Di Canio, it's Paolo Di Canio
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Print
Jump to: