Poll
Question: You moved to Swindon because...
...cheaper house prices and could commute to Bristol/Reading/London
...got a job in Swindon
...family moved here
...wandered for years and liked it here
...marooned and couldn't escape
...got a contract with Swindon Town :-)
...other (please state)

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Why did you move to Swindon?  (Read 6980 times)
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: Monday, January 11, 2010, 16:26:04 »

Anyone calling Swindon a shit hole has clearly never been to Basingstoke. I worked there in the late 90's commuting every day - the shit road that takes you there is a warning of what's to come. The town centre was shit and there was only one night club, the people I worked with said it was safest to take a knife with you if you went there.

Anyone who says that about Basingstoke clearly hasn't been there since the late 90's!  They knocked most of the Town Centre down and put up a nice modern arcade (Festival place) with a cinema and eaty places at one end.  Oh, and a new club (RIP Martines)!

It ain't exactly bluewater, but it takes the piss out of Swindon it terms of lack of shabbyness. Annoying because if Basingstoke managed it so should have Swindon, and then some!

Still at Swindon is better than Slough! That should be on the 'city limits' signpost - "Swindon, better than Slough!".

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: Monday, January 11, 2010, 16:27:54 »

i saw loads of trouble in brunel or outside.one time the bouncers took a right beating off a load of black guys.that is the only time i've seen bouncers on the receiving end.they took a right fucking hammering that night.
i got ejected for fighting in there when i was in the wrong place at the wrong time,and some bloke tried smashing a milk crate over my head outside.
another time i saw a bloke throw a toilet at the doors(i kid you not)
suttonred

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: Monday, January 11, 2010, 16:30:19 »

Ah yes Martines, used to be one of my haunts, along with the Brunel and  The Target In Reading, Brunel was easily the best of the 3.
Simon Pieman
Original Wanker

« Reply #33 on: Monday, January 11, 2010, 16:32:23 »

i saw loads of trouble in brunel or outside.one time the bouncers took a right beating off a load of black guys.that is the only time i've seen bouncers on the receiving end.they took a right fucking hammering that night.
i got ejected for fighting in there when i was in the wrong place at the wrong time,and some bloke tried smashing a milk crate over my head outside.
another time i saw a bloke throw a toilet at the doors(i kid you not)

I suspect you went in a different era to me. If I've guessed your age right, you'd have thought all that ecstacy would have stopped the fighting, no? Smiley
jonny72

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: Monday, January 11, 2010, 16:38:30 »

Anyone who says that about Basingstoke clearly hasn't been there since the late 90's!  They knocked most of the Town Centre down and put up a nice modern arcade (Festival place) with a cinema and eaty places at one end.  Oh, and a new club (RIP Martines)!

Last time I was there they were just about to start demolishing the town centre. To be fair the work they'd done up till then looked pretty good but I never got to see the finished article.

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: Monday, January 11, 2010, 16:41:58 »

I suspect you went in a different era to me. If I've guessed your age right, you'd have thought all that ecstacy would have stopped the fighting, no? Smiley

fridays were the rave nights a trouble free generally. saturdays were the drinking ones back then.most of the trouble was on the saturdays for sure
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: Monday, January 11, 2010, 16:42:16 »

Last time I was there they were just about to start demolishing the town centre. To be fair the work they'd done up till then looked pretty good but I never got to see the finished article.

you are right though, the old town centre was a complete shit hole!
Simon Pieman
Original Wanker

« Reply #37 on: Monday, January 11, 2010, 16:44:43 »

fridays were the rave nights a trouble free generally. saturdays were the drinking ones back then.most of the trouble was on the saturdays for sure

Aha makes more sense.

I've probably missed a load of incidents anyway, I was always dancing with girls and probably making a tit of myself.
Bogus Dave
Ate my own dick

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: Monday, January 11, 2010, 16:52:13 »

It ain't exactly bluewater, but it takes the piss out of Swindon it terms of lack of shabbyness. Annoying because if Basingstoke managed it so should have Swindon, and then some!

Still at Swindon is better than Slough! That should be on the 'city limits' signpost - "Swindon, better than Slough!".

Slough Town center pisses all over swindons

Things get better but they never get good
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: Monday, January 11, 2010, 16:59:14 »

Slough Town center pisses all over swindons

"Swindon - not even as good as Slough". That's depressing.
Bogus Dave
Ate my own dick

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: Monday, January 11, 2010, 17:03:15 »

To be fair the rest of swindon looks like paradise from the rest of slough. Thats always been the issue with swindon though - A decent town let down buy a rubbish middle

Things get better but they never get good
leefer

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: Monday, January 11, 2010, 19:28:59 »

Swindon puts Slough to shame.....the people down the road in Windsor are thinking of building a wall.
Posh Red
Posh by name, Posh by nature

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: Monday, January 11, 2010, 19:42:17 »

Never have lived in Swindon, and probably never will.
Doore

« Reply #43 on: Monday, January 11, 2010, 19:43:17 »

Never have lived in Swindon, and probably never will.

Not posh enough for you?
chalkies_shorts

« Reply #44 on: Monday, January 11, 2010, 20:26:28 »

Born and bred here. My parents moved here in the 50's as part of the London overspill. It was Swindon or Basignstoke - I struck gold. From living in a slum flat in London, my dad was offerred a job as a labourer and one of the new houses in Park South - with garden. As a family, we owe Swindon a lot.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up
Print
Jump to: