Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 9   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Advice Needed  (Read 10608 times)
aroamin

« on: Sunday, January 10, 2010, 21:50:09 »

Hi guys,

I have a request to make.

The missus and I are relocating down to the swindon area in the next few weeks or so and was hoping someone from this site could give me a better insight into life in swindon.

I'm going to view some property in the next week or so and would love some input.

Which areas, closer to the town centres, would be nice enough for a young couple to live in?

Are there any complete no go areas? 

Or indeed any hidden gems?

Whats the general mood/feeling in Swindon. I've heard mixed reports, some suggesting its a relatively nice place, low crime rate, friendly people; and others suggesting the atmosphere is a bit tougher than that.

Are there any must-visit local amenities (cinema's and the like)

cheers in advance for any replies, it'll be much appreciated
Lash_sumthin

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: Sunday, January 10, 2010, 21:57:01 »

generally speaking the rule of 'p' applies. If it begins with p look elsewhere Smiley
sn5_red

« Reply #2 on: Sunday, January 10, 2010, 21:59:36 »

generally speaking the rule of 'p' applies. If it begins with p look elsewhere Smiley

peatmoor?
aroamin

« Reply #3 on: Sunday, January 10, 2010, 22:00:06 »

haha,

well thanks, not much of a choice I'm afraid. I'm sure It'll be ok, if it was just me I would probably just wing it. But with the missus an all, I'd like to give ourselves a bit of a head start.

Cheers anyway mate
Lash_sumthin

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: Sunday, January 10, 2010, 22:11:06 »

peatmoor?

the exception to the rule maybe
Doore

« Reply #5 on: Sunday, January 10, 2010, 22:14:42 »

I've not lived in Swindon for a few years, so I can't really say much about specific areas (although, having grown up in Old Town, I will say right now this is the best part of Swindon), what I would say is that as a place it doesn't wholly deserve the stick it sometimes get nationally.  It is in most ways almost exactly average for a town of its size in this country.  The populace are generally quite friendly, although the town centre is quite run down and in need of regeneration, and is chav-tastic on Friday and Saturday nights.

Oh, and they have a wonderful football team with a ground situated in the centre of town.  Go along.

Miss Angry

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: Sunday, January 10, 2010, 22:18:41 »

the exception to the rule maybe

Priory vale
aroamin

« Reply #7 on: Sunday, January 10, 2010, 22:20:23 »

I've not lived in Swindon for a few years, so I can't really say much about specific areas (although, having grown up in Old Town, I will say right now this is the best part of Swindon), what I would say is that as a place it doesn't wholly deserve the stick it sometimes get nationally.  It is in most ways almost exactly average for a town of its size in this country.  The populace are generally quite friendly, although the town centre is quite run down and in need of regeneration, and is chav-tastic on Friday and Saturday nights.

Oh, and they have a wonderful football team with a ground situated in the centre of town.  Go along.

Cheers mate.

I'm currently looking at accomodation in the town centre, well, I think south west of the centre primarily, any bad spots there?

Chav-tastic doesn't worry me a whole lot, generally more noise than proper crime (at least its the case in manchester, mostly) is it the same there?

I was planning on going to the football as much as I can. I'm a big football fan, so will be nice to go see a team when i relocate. Tickets arent too much are they?
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: Sunday, January 10, 2010, 22:26:48 »

Are there any must-visit local amenities (cinema's and the like)

Standard fair for a large town really, 2 cinemas (I prefer the one in Greenbridge), Ice Rink, Bowling Alley, Tennis courts, numerous gyms, the oasis leisure centre (best before 1985), shopping outlet centre, etc, etc. Oh and the magic roundabout.

Where to live? Old town seems to fit the bill,  but can a git for parking! Well maybe its better if you are a resident with a permit:) .

As said, Swindon town centre is a bit shabby and chavtastic at night. Don't worry, there was a plan to rebuild it. In fact they have had one for the last 20 years and will have it for the next 20.

Erm, did I mention the free wifi coming soon to everyone...
Doore

« Reply #9 on: Sunday, January 10, 2010, 22:28:02 »

Town centre and south west of it are pretty good I would say (although again, pretty close to my old area, so I would say that!)

Ticket prices have come down a bit in the past couple of years - I think I payed about £15 quid when I travelled down for a game over Christmas.

I think it is mostly noise rather than nasty crime, but again you probably need the opinion of someone who still lives there.

TEF, Swindon branch - help the man out.
sheepshagger
Suburban Capitalist........

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: Sunday, January 10, 2010, 22:29:57 »

Town centre not too bad an area to live - mostly noise rather than trouble.

Old Town is probably the best area - and depending on how old you are can be the safest and least "chavvy" place to go out for a beer....

Stratton is also quite nice - good area to live.

We have the famous Oasis Leisure centre - good pool and slides etc...
Big Cinema at a place near Stratton called Greenbridge

Loads of Chinese and Curry places, a few good Italians, lots of places deliver which is a bonus !

Not the worst place to live - sometimes a little dull but I guess it's what you make it !!

And of course the saving grace - the County Ground Smiley

Wise men say........
aroamin

« Reply #11 on: Sunday, January 10, 2010, 22:31:28 »

Erm, did I mention the free wifi coming soon to everyone...

Thanks mate, I was originally looking in Old Town, however, I think I'm going to try somewhere a little cheeper til I find my feet really. I'm not sure how long-term it will be you see.

Is the "free wifi" a council scheme thats never taken off then?

aroamin

« Reply #12 on: Sunday, January 10, 2010, 22:33:35 »

Ticket prices have come down a bit in the past couple of years - I think I payed about £15 quid when I travelled down for a game over Christmas.

£15 is not bad at all, its peanuts in comparison to what i pay currently. I go pretty regularly here, (though am not usually in the country long enough to warrent a season ticket) and for the last two games I've paid £42 each. Factor in travel, beer, obligitary balti pie and the missus and I'm shelling out well over £100 per visit!
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: Sunday, January 10, 2010, 22:34:37 »

Is the "free wifi" a council scheme thats never taken off then?

Well it hasn't taken off yet, but its on schedule. The first install was planned and installed just before Christmas (in Highworth). They hoped to have the whole thing up by April. But being Swindon Borough Council that's optimistic.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-1228506/WiFi-town-Swindon-offer-free-wireless-internet-access-all.html

(apologies for the Daily Mail link, it was Google's first hit).

Can't really help on the town centre accommodation front, I'm sure someone will sooner or later though
« Last Edit: Sunday, January 10, 2010, 22:36:19 by Batch » Logged
aroamin

« Reply #14 on: Sunday, January 10, 2010, 22:35:35 »

Town centre not too bad an area to live - mostly noise rather than trouble.

Old Town is probably the best area - and depending on how old you are can be the safest and least "chavvy" place to go out for a beer....

Thanks a lot mate, I was hoping someone would say something like that. I'm coming across as pretty feckin ball-less here, but i'd much rather be safe than sorry.

Judging by the people here I'm sure I'll enjoy the place (hopefully you guys are an accurate representation of the rest of the population!  Grin )
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 9   Go Up
Print
Jump to: