Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Adver News: TOWN'S GREATEST XI: Who is your pick on the right-wing?  (Read 5089 times)
News Monkey

« on: Thursday, January 7, 2010, 12:00:09 »

TOWN'S GREATEST XI: Who is your pick on the right-wing?

CASTING an eye over Town’s history, the club’s strikers have always been served well from the flanks, and this month, the Swindon
  Advertiser is asking our readers to vote for Swindon Town’s greatest right midfielder. Here are just a few of our suggestions.

http://www.thisisswindontownfc.co.uk/news/headlines/4837139.TOWN_S_GREATEST_XI__Who_is_your_pick_on_the_right_wing_/?ref=rss

alanmayes

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: Thursday, January 7, 2010, 12:17:28 »

Jimmy Davis was a very good player but not ours,so i don't see how he can be included in this poll.
If the Adver are going to use this criteria, we might as well have included Given,Carrick and
Nicky Coleman in previous polls.

The best right winger i've see at the Town was Ian Miller.Pace to burn,team player,but with the
ability to cross whilst at full pace.The crosses to Andy Rowland on the far post were sublime.
Incidentally, he's now coach at Leeds.

"It's not delusions of grandeur sir,it's intolerance of mediocrity and minimal performances."
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: Thursday, January 7, 2010, 12:24:03 »

Jimmy Davis was a very good player but not ours,so i don't see how he can be included in this poll.
If the Adver are going to use this criteria, we might as well have included Given,Carrick and
Nicky Coleman in previous polls.

The best right winger i've see at the Town was Ian Miller.Pace to burn,team player,but with the
ability to cross whilst at full pace.The crosses to Andy Rowland on the far post were sublime.
Incidentally, he's now coach at Leeds.

My thoughts entirely when I read this Adver bit...also agree that you can't include loan players, Milner was better than Jimmy Davis.

Windy was great fun...I don't think David Moss gets a mention and he was seriously good.
alanmayes

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: Thursday, January 7, 2010, 12:26:11 »

Windy was great fun...I don't think David Moss gets a mention and he was seriously good.

I always thought of Mossy as a left winger,admittedly he could play on the right,but he spent
most of his career with us and then Luton,playing on the left.A very fine player.

"It's not delusions of grandeur sir,it's intolerance of mediocrity and minimal performances."
Bogus Dave
Ate my own dick

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: Thursday, January 7, 2010, 12:27:19 »

Ricky Shakes

Things get better but they never get good
alanmayes

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: Thursday, January 7, 2010, 12:32:53 »

Team combination play of Trollope,Miller,Mayes and Rowland.

Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: Thursday, January 7, 2010, 12:32:54 »

I always thought of Mossy as a left winger,admittedly he could play on the right,but he spent
most of his career with us and then Luton,playing on the left.A very fine player.

Well for me, I always think of Mossy as more of a right winger, with firstly Tommy Jenkins and then Trevor Anderson more the left sided player, although Trevor Anderson would be more tucked in than line hogger.
Rich Pullen

« Reply #7 on: Thursday, January 7, 2010, 12:39:35 »

There's no way on earth Jimmy Davis should be on the nomination list. He had ability but these pointless lists are surely reserved for those who played more than 13 games for the club - players who played less than 50 should be questioned!

alanmayes

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: Thursday, January 7, 2010, 12:41:32 »

Mossy's hatrick against the Scum on Easter Monday 78,will always hold him in hero status  Smiley

The boy from Witney done good!

Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: Thursday, January 7, 2010, 12:47:07 »

Mossy's hatrick against the Scum on Easter Monday 78,will always hold him in hero status  Smiley

The boy from Witney done good!

Indeed... Smiley

One of only two players to score a hat-trick in a Swindon/Scum derby, the other being King Arthur.

Oh and Roy Carter never played on the right wing...more of a utility player, he could play out there, but was more often an inside forward, or surprisingly often centre half.
blah blah

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: Thursday, January 7, 2010, 16:19:11 »

I vaguely remember Miller hugging the touchline in my youth, but of those I remember more clearly, Mark Walters has to come into contention. Equally comfortable on either flank, he possessed a quality that very few Town players of recent years did. It would be criminal if he was wasn't included in at least the nominations.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: Thursday, January 7, 2010, 16:23:57 »

I vaguely remember Miller hugging the touchline in my youth, but of those I remember more clearly, Mark Walters has to come into contention. Equally comfortable on either flank, he possessed a quality that very few Town players of recent years did. It would be criminal if he was wasn't included in at least the nominations.

Good point....I tend to forget those years, as some of our performances were so bad, but Walters was a class act.
Doore

« Reply #12 on: Thursday, January 7, 2010, 16:25:00 »

I'll back Walters.  He livened up a very dull time to be a town fan.
Simon Pieman
Original Wanker

« Reply #13 on: Thursday, January 7, 2010, 16:42:25 »

Sammy Igoe has to be up there
adje

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: Thursday, January 7, 2010, 17:17:14 »

Summerbee's gonna stroll it

quot;Molten memories splashing down
 upon the rooves of Swindon Town"
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
Print