Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: wired internet help  (Read 763 times)

Ignore
« on: Saturday, October 24, 2009, 12:11:48 »

currently have my ps3 connected wirelessly to my router.getting a bit pissed off with lag and slow download times so want to connect by wire.
i reckon i'll need around a 7-10 meter cable but i've seen they come in different colours.does that mean anything important?
also anyone knowing where they are cheap etc, or any other info would be welcome.
ta.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: Saturday, October 24, 2009, 12:18:42 »

You are probably OK with a straight cat5e Ethernet cable, colour irrelevant in this case.

Personally I'd get one off ebay

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/10-Meter-CAT5e-RJ45-Ethernet-Network-LAN-Cable-Lead-10M_W0QQitemZ360200912287QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Computing_CablesConnectors_RL?hash=item53dda5bd9f

but if you are in a hurray you can get one made up in Maplin for several times that price.

Lastly are you sure its the wireless that is the issue? Personally my PS3 had been unplayable online for a while, turns out Netgear screwed the firmware in my router - I rolled back a version and its OK again!

Not saying it isn't a wireless issue, but it could be something else (but £2 for a cable to find out isn't too much of a risk!).
jonny72

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: Saturday, October 24, 2009, 12:19:56 »

Just make sure you get a straight through cat 5 cable and not a cross over.

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: Saturday, October 24, 2009, 12:24:56 »

thanks you two.
to be fair it's not a major problem batch as it works alright.i'd just prefer it a bit faster, and end the occasional lag on fifa.

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: Friday, October 30, 2009, 10:55:45 »

took delivery of item courtesy of scab postman today.
works a treat. thanks again batch.
sheepshagger
Suburban Capitalist........

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: Friday, October 30, 2009, 11:04:21 »

Had the same problem with my PS3 on wireless....

Also too far away from router for a cable - so went for one of those network cable plug into the wall jobbies.....

Absolutely excellent - getting 130mbps no problem at all - can stream HD to the PS3 no problem now...

Although don't get the Netgear ones - they are shocking - the cheapo ones off Amazon are 10 times better....

And Postman - what is going on ?  I thought they were on strike - but my usual postie has delivered to me yesterday and today ?!?!?

Wise men say........
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: