Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Winchester  (Read 1153 times)
leefer

Ignore
« on: Wednesday, October 21, 2009, 20:21:14 »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/hampshire/content/articles/2008/06/05/cathedral_diver_feature.shtml

Heard of this guy before but didnt realise just what work he did...the amount of work he did underwater in almost total darkness.....then cycled home 150 miles at the weekend!...after that workload and cycle home bet he was a bundle of laughs with the missus....seriously its a great story IMO....its actually built on water...and the old beams used in the 13th century had rotted away,he basicly stopped it falling down.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: Thursday, October 22, 2009, 11:34:05 »

Years ago I used to visit Winchester connected to work, so often went in the cathedral. I knew of Walker's work.

Winchester is often quoted by those who think that medieval builders used dowsing techniques to site their buildings....a bit like feng shui.

In other words, the presence of underground water dictated site and layout of buildings.

It's argued why build a cathedral on such a wet place otherwise.

Adherents to dowsing also think that prehistoric sites like Avebury and Silbury Hill were built with reference to underground water...
suttonred

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: Thursday, October 22, 2009, 11:55:50 »

I visited the Cathedral a few weeks, ago. Didn't see any reference to this at all, which is a shame.
Nick Bamosomi
Bitter & Twisted

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: Thursday, October 22, 2009, 18:21:47 »

I lived in Winchester for a while and there used to be a little memorial/figure of a diver in a glass case with the history told next to it in the catherdral.
Maybe you missed it, or they have removed it.

Never , under any circumstances, take a sleeping pill and a laxative on the same  night
Nick Bamosomi
Bitter & Twisted

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: Thursday, October 22, 2009, 18:24:57 »

http://www.flickr.com/photos/13227526@N00/280147422

Ok so maybe not in a glass case, but there he is.

Never , under any circumstances, take a sleeping pill and a laxative on the same  night
suttonred

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: Thursday, October 22, 2009, 18:37:55 »

Guess i missed it, doesn't look that big, what i did see lots of was the graffiti dating back to the 1600's, on most of the pillars, was quite impressed with that.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: