Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Tranmere Away (Halloween)  (Read 7668 times)
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: Friday, October 30, 2009, 15:41:21 »

Went last season. The ground's ok(ish) but it has to be one of the most depressing drives ever. When you see the scenery you'll know what I mean.

Many years ago, approx 1971, I did a bit of tour of the Wirral peninsula, to see what it was all about...what a shit hole, nevertheless very interesting. On the Welsh side of the Dee you had Shotton steel works and Connah's Quay, which served it, and seemed to consist of a place in a swamp. Blacon, just the English side, a sink estate nominally attached to Chester but hidden away. Then on the Mersey side the ace Port Sunlight, where back in the day, you could taste the soap in the air. Tranmere's ground in a place called Prenton, I suppose in Birkenhead or maybe Wallasey and the jewel in the crown, New Brighton.

I did like New Brighton...think putting Severn Beach in Avonmouth, and hoping to develop a resort.

NB once boasted a league side....New Brighton Tower, named after the ill fated Blackpool look a like, which for a brief spell before demolition in the 20's was the tallest building in Britain.

I dread to think what it's like nowadays, with its proximity to Scouseland.
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #16 on: Friday, October 30, 2009, 15:47:49 »

Went last season. The ground's ok(ish) but it has to be one of the most depressing drives ever. When you see the scenery you'll know what I mean.

The industrialized North Wales/Cheshire coast after the M53 is a sight to behold!

My Dad lives in Runcorn and it basically starts there and goes all the way to Scouseland, theres a siren that goes off when the air quality is so bad they advise you not to leave your house!

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
alanmayes

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: Friday, October 30, 2009, 16:14:10 »

The industrialized North Wales/Cheshire coast after the M53 is a sight to behold!

My Dad lives in Runcorn and it basically starts there and goes all the way to Scouseland, theres a siren that goes off when the air quality is so bad they advise you not to leave your house!

The industrialised development along the Mersey between Ellesmere Port,with the chemical works,
oil refinery and Birkenhead with the Vauxhall plant on the old RAF site,feels as if it's never ending.

The northern side of the Wirral with Hoylake,where they held the Ryder Cup and West Kirby,
are a world away from the Mersey sided industries.

"It's not delusions of grandeur sir,it's intolerance of mediocrity and minimal performances."
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #18 on: Friday, October 30, 2009, 16:18:47 »

Its actually quite pretty at night driving own the M53 and seeing all the lights, its like an explosion in a Christmas decoration factory, flames from the lit gas and so many different colour lights, in the daylight its a very different story though!

As you say Neston, Hoylake & West Kirby are miles apart though.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: Friday, October 30, 2009, 17:21:02 »

The rugby league triangle of Widnes Warrington and St Helen's are proper grim. Wigan isn't too bad at all.

Think Runcorn had a side for a few years who were hopeless, as were Huyton who kind of morphed into Runcorn. The only thing I know of Huyton other than an ineptitude for Rugby League, was its being the constituency of the great Harold Wilson Smiley
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: