Pages: 1 ... 67 68 69 [70] 71 72 73 ... 99   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Pay Up Pompey,Pompey Pay Up!  (Read 253519 times)
jonny72

Ignore
« Reply #1035 on: Wednesday, August 4, 2010, 20:56:06 »

As Ardiles says, this was gone in to in some detail a while back and the rule is that they wouldn't be replaced and it would be a 23 team division for the season. Pretty certain they then relegate one less club through all the divisions to balance things back up again.

If it did happen it's highly unlikely it would be the end of Portsmouth. When Southampton were facing the same problem they spoke with the non-league associations and they were guaranteed a place in the conference (I think, maybe one league below at worst) if they folded and then formed a new club to carry on. Only a matter of time before this happens to a club.
otanswell

Fuck em all...

Ignore
« Reply #1036 on: Wednesday, August 4, 2010, 20:59:06 »

i bet cotterill wished hed stayed at notts county now...corrupt as they are too..

Ignore
« Reply #1037 on: Wednesday, August 4, 2010, 21:13:01 »

i bet cotterill wished hed stayed at notts county now

He obviously believed AA's spin on how easy it was for the club to pass the CVA...

BAZINGA !!

Join the Red Army Fund and donate at www.redarmyfund.co.uk

Join the Football Supporters Federation for FREE at www.fsf.org.uk/join.php
Doore

« Reply #1038 on: Wednesday, August 4, 2010, 21:34:36 »

If there was any way at all that we could implement the German system that insists on a minimum 51% supporter body stake in any football club, I would take it in a flash.  If that means (and it would) that the top Premiership clubs are no longer able to pay their players £100k/week, so be it.  Financial sanity, and more level playing field, greater incentive for young English players to progress.  Everyone (except a few foreign magnates and global media barons) wins.

Ardiles, you should be running the game in this country. 
ghanimah

Ignore
« Reply #1039 on: Thursday, August 5, 2010, 07:35:12 »

As Paul says, hope it doesn't come to that.  But I do remember this being discussed in the Sheffield local press a few months ago (shortly after our day out debacle at Wembley).  One way or another, they concluded that neither they (Sheff Weds, as Championship 22nd place finishers) or ourselves would benefit if Portsmouth died.  Instead, the Championship woud operate as a 23 team division in 2010/11.

Surely it's a logistical question of fixtures. Given the all the possible connotations that have to be taken into account when drawing them up, I doubt it would be as easy as either us or Wednesday simply taking Portsmouth's place at this short notice even if they wanted to.

For example Portsmouth and Sheffield United quite often play at home on the same Saturdays this season. I think South Yorkshire's finest would have something to say if Wednesday were to take Portsmouth's place, thus meaning both Sheffield clubs play at home at the same time.

"We perform the duties of freemen; we must have the privileges of freemen ..."
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #1040 on: Thursday, August 5, 2010, 08:07:48 »

Pretty sure Ardiles is right - on common sense alone, you'd keep the Championship as a 23 team division. If you promote/don't relegate to keep the Championship up to 24 teams, you simply transfer the 23-team problem to the division below and potentially (if you follow that through) create a cascade effect down the pyramid. Granted "common sense" and "football authorities" are not often seen in the same sentence, but at this stage it would be madness to do anything other than keep a 23-team Championship.

However, I'm confident this will remain academic. I expect Pompey to win the case today and even if they don't, the "gun to the head" stuff from their QC was as much courtroom melodrama as anything. Does anyone seriously think that if they lose today, they're going to ring the FL and tell them they can't fulfill their fixtures? No way
Saxondale

Ignore
« Reply #1041 on: Thursday, August 5, 2010, 11:43:39 »

Slightly off topic, but did I really just hear Sam Allardyce on the radio whinging that we cant attract top quality players because of the tax rate and arguing that we should drop the tax rate because of this?

He really is a tool, wrapped up in premier league bollocks.  Raise the tax rate for these pampered twats to 90 percent I say.

Never knowingly overstated.
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #1042 on: Thursday, August 5, 2010, 11:48:45 »

Yes Sam...because one of the most pressing problems facing the country today is the difficulty it faces in attracting talented footballers from overseas to play in its top league.

Idiot.
richt1976

« Reply #1043 on: Thursday, August 5, 2010, 11:52:46 »

In fairness to him, Allardyce is just confirming what people in other sports are saying. Usain Bolt has stated several times this year that he wont run in this country because of the Tax levels, so its something which is a bigger issue than just football.
Stegenfreud

Say what now?

Ignore
« Reply #1044 on: Thursday, August 5, 2010, 11:57:08 »

Slightly off topic, but did I really just hear Sam Allardyce on the radio whinging that we cant attract top quality players because of the tax rate and arguing that we should drop the tax rate because of this?

He really is a tool, wrapped up in premier league bollocks.  Raise the tax rate for these pampered twats to 90 percent I say.

What a muppet he is.....

simon FERRY cross the avon... do do.
Anteater

Ignore
« Reply #1045 on: Thursday, August 5, 2010, 11:58:19 »

In fairness to him, Allardyce is just confirming what people in other sports are saying. Usain Bolt has stated several times this year that he wont run in this country because of the Tax levels, so its something which is a bigger issue than just football.

Makes him a twat as well then !
Saxondale

Ignore
« Reply #1046 on: Thursday, August 5, 2010, 12:02:28 »

I dont do fairness to Sam.  He's a nob.

Frankly if tax causes all the rich greedy idiots who feel it is right that they earn more in a week than most do in a year for slapping about a pigs bladder for a few hours a week, then good, fuck off.  

Maybe we can start again with people who love the game and would be willing to play it without the concerns of ridiculous fame and money.  Yes we'd eventually lose the top ones to clubs abroad, but sod it, that just means they've lost their soul and they are welcome to run off abroad chasing money not glory for football.

Ah Im such a dreamer aren't I!

Never knowingly overstated.
Stegenfreud

Say what now?

Ignore
« Reply #1047 on: Thursday, August 5, 2010, 12:09:05 »

Frankly if tax causes all the rich greedy idiots who feel it is right that they earn more in a week than most do in a year for slapping about a pigs bladder for a few hours a week, then good, fuck off.  

Maybe we can start again with people who love the game and would be willing to play it without the concerns of ridiculous fame and money.  Yes we'd eventually lose the top ones to clubs abroad, but sod it, that just means they've lost their soul and they are welcome to run off abroad chasing money not glory for football.

The world needs dreamers... I would love to see a league structure built on managerial skill in a football league brimming with homegrown talent rather than a one where how much money ego inflated foreign managers can throw at a futile attempt to get intothe 'champions league' rules supreme. Meh back under my rock.

simon FERRY cross the avon... do do.
ghanimah

Ignore
« Reply #1048 on: Thursday, August 5, 2010, 12:16:15 »

Sam has a point, if all the 'greedy rich' people fuck off then the lost tax revenue the Treasury would otherwise earn has to be picked up by everyone else. It is a pretty well established principle.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laffer_curve

"We perform the duties of freemen; we must have the privileges of freemen ..."
donkey
Cheers!

He headed a football.

Ignore
« Reply #1049 on: Thursday, August 5, 2010, 12:17:38 »

Sam has a point, if all the 'greedy rich' people fuck off then the lost tax revenue the Treasury would otherwise earn has to be picked up by everyone else. It is a pretty well established principle.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laffer_curve

Yeah, but we hear this crap every few years.  If your commitment to this country is so paper thin, just fuck off.  We'll manage fine without you.

donkey tells the truth

I headed the ball.

eeeeeeeeeeeeeee-aaaaaaaawwwwwww
Pages: 1 ... 67 68 69 [70] 71 72 73 ... 99   Go Up
Print
Jump to: