Pages: 1 ... 86 87 88 [89] 90 91 92 ... 99   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Pay Up Pompey,Pompey Pay Up!  (Read 253258 times)
Summerof69

Ignore
« Reply #1320 on: Monday, August 13, 2012, 20:51:46 »

It's a budget for the whole season. It doesn't mean they have to have the whole amount at the beginning of the season.

They'll get a few hundred thousand in TV revenue, and say they average 10k on gates this season, they will exceed their £1.5m wage bill in income.

BAZINGA !!

Join the Red Army Fund and donate at www.redarmyfund.co.uk

Join the Football Supporters Federation for FREE at www.fsf.org.uk/join.php
jonny72

Ignore
« Reply #1321 on: Monday, August 13, 2012, 21:16:12 »

Think some people may have misread that article, or I have;

Portsmouth boss Michael Appleton has called the potential new owners of the club "unprofessional" after being told his transfer budget has been slashed. Appleton was believed to have been promised a budget of £4m for new player acquisitions in May, but that figure has now changed to around £1.5m.

Says to me that they've got £1.5m for transfer fees rather than their wage bill, which I reckon will be substantially higher than that - on gates of 9k we could afford a £3m wage bill and still break even.

That is a shit load of money for signings players at League One level, how many clubs spend that? Don't think even Southampton did and they were pissing money away left, right and centre.
« Last Edit: Monday, August 13, 2012, 21:19:01 by jonny72 » Logged
Power to people

Ignore
« Reply #1322 on: Tuesday, August 14, 2012, 11:58:34 »

Think some people may have misread that article, or I have;

Says to me that they've got £1.5m for transfer fees rather than their wage bill, which I reckon will be substantially higher than that - on gates of 9k we could afford a £3m wage bill and still break even.

That is a shit load of money for signings players at League One level, how many clubs spend that? Don't think even Southampton did and they were pissing money away left, right and centre.

But it also talks about players he has recruited that they will not now be able to afford....not sure who they have on trial ready to sign
Saxondale

Ignore
« Reply #1323 on: Wednesday, August 15, 2012, 08:03:29 »

And now Chanrai pulls out.  Its not looking good.

Never knowingly overstated.
LittleRed

Ignore
« Reply #1324 on: Wednesday, August 15, 2012, 08:55:30 »

Didn't they have some sort of deadline to meet by the 14th?
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #1325 on: Wednesday, August 15, 2012, 09:02:59 »

I hate to say it - but I think, at long last, the end is coming in to sight for Portsmouth FC.  I've known a good few Pompey fans down the years (incl one of my current neighbours from a few doors down), and every one of them will be feeling a bit stunned right now.  One by one, the options are falling away.  I'd give them a 50/50 chance of still being there at the end of September.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #1326 on: Wednesday, August 15, 2012, 09:08:34 »

So does this leave the Trust as a last option?

Not good. But things can and do change at the last minute (3 amigos, Fitton).
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #1327 on: Wednesday, August 15, 2012, 09:11:06 »

And now Chanrai pulls out.  Its not looking good.

That's probably a good thing...leaves the field open for their Trust to take it on.
reeves4england

We'll never die!

Ignore
« Reply #1328 on: Wednesday, August 15, 2012, 10:26:58 »

I'd hate to bea Pompey fan right now - it's either going to be a long old season for them or a very very short one.
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #1329 on: Wednesday, August 15, 2012, 11:44:03 »

That's probably a good thing...leaves the field open for their Trust to take it on.

The Trust is the only option now.  But there does seem to be a growing feeling (and I'm judging this, admittedly, on anecdotal comments from a few message boards, paper articles etc.) that the Trust will not be able to resuscitate the carcass of the old club.  Instead, some of their fans are simply calling for them to buy the badge and the name, and start again from the bottom.  In their shoes, I think this is what I would be aiming for.  I'd be surprised if Fratton Park survives as a football ground for a lot longer.
thedarkprince

Hubba-hubba

Ignore
« Reply #1330 on: Wednesday, August 15, 2012, 11:47:44 »

So what happens for this season? If they start the season and then fold, what happens to the points accrued?  And how would releagtion/promotion work?  3 relegated or 5 promoted? 
BenTheRed

Ignore
« Reply #1331 on: Wednesday, August 15, 2012, 11:51:43 »

as bad as it sounds, they must be better off just starting again from scratch in a wimbledon styleee. The club as it stands is toxic throughout.
If the fan base stays with them, it wont take them long to climb back on the leagues.

the only way they'll be rescused is if they find someone with more money than sense..

Town were never that bad were we?
ghanimah

Ignore
« Reply #1332 on: Wednesday, August 15, 2012, 11:53:16 »

So what happens for this season? If they start the season and then fold, what happens to the points accrued?  And how would releagtion/promotion work?  3 relegated or 5 promoted?  

Same as was the distinct possibility last year, points accrued would be expunged

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/portsmouth/9116601/How-Championship-table-would-look-with-Portsmouths-results-expunged.html

Edit: Rules are:
12.2 Cessation of membership. If a Club (or Clubs) ceases to be a member of The League for any reason (including, without limitation, pursuant to Article 4 of the Articles of Association or by way of relegation or expulsion for disciplinary reasons):

12.2.1 during any Normal Playing Season, its playing record shall be expunged and the number of relegation places from the relevant Division for that Season shall be reduced by the number of Clubs ceasing to be members;

http://www.football-league.co.uk/regulations/20120702/section-3-the-league_2293633_2125717
« Last Edit: Wednesday, August 15, 2012, 11:55:27 by ghanimah » Logged

"We perform the duties of freemen; we must have the privileges of freemen ..."
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #1333 on: Wednesday, August 15, 2012, 11:57:47 »

Town were never that bad were we?

No.  And on a completely different scale.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #1334 on: Wednesday, August 15, 2012, 12:08:34 »

The Trust is the only option now.  But there does seem to be a growing feeling (and I'm judging this, admittedly, on anecdotal comments from a few message boards, paper articles etc.) that the Trust will not be able to resuscitate the carcass of the old club.

Doesn't the trust bid rely on a council loan anyway.

If Chanrais "nobody loves me everybody hates me" speech is to be believed then the terms of that loan aren't great.
Pages: 1 ... 86 87 88 [89] 90 91 92 ... 99   Go Up
Print
Jump to: