Pages: 1 ... 84 85 86 [87] 88 89 90 ... 99   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Pay Up Pompey,Pompey Pay Up!  (Read 253419 times)
jonny72

Ignore
« Reply #1290 on: Tuesday, July 24, 2012, 13:04:52 »

a lot of it has to go down to the amount of fans and if the grounds they're going to can handle it!

Exactly, if they still have Fratton Park and some money behind them the Conference will be more likely. If they're playing on the local rec and have a whip round to pay the wages each week then it's going to be a lot lower. Think the only actual rule in this situation is an FA one saying a club reforming has to go down a minimum of two divisions.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #1291 on: Tuesday, July 24, 2012, 21:14:54 »

Administrator turning up the heat saying the club COULD go into liquidation by August 10th if they can't get the big earners off the books.

After Rangers anything is possible, but to me the administrator is not going about things in the best way by airing in public. Perhaps he is genuine, but perhaps he's playing brinkmanship.
tans
You spin me right round baby right round

Ignore
« Reply #1292 on: Tuesday, July 24, 2012, 21:26:28 »

Im beyond caring.

I dont remember them caring about us when we nearly went under

Fuck em
ChalkyWhiteIsGod
TOLD YOU SO

Ignore
« Reply #1293 on: Tuesday, July 24, 2012, 21:32:45 »

We'll be caring if they start the season, we get the three points at Fratton Park and lose them if they go bust mid season.
Abrahammer

A legitimate dude sighting

Ignore
« Reply #1294 on: Tuesday, July 24, 2012, 21:44:44 »

Im beyond caring.

I dont remember them caring about us when we nearly went under

Fuck em

Bit different back in those days to easily show support for teams in trouble, i.e. pre-social network days 

I bet if you asked most Pompey fans back then if they wanted us to go bust they would have said no.

Most fans don't want any team to go bust but they aren't gonna go to a huge effort to show it
Jimmy Glass is an Alien

« Reply #1295 on: Wednesday, July 25, 2012, 07:35:17 »

Although I wish no specific harm to any one club, I do think that we need a club to go to the wall for everyone else to realise that you can't always expect a saviour to arrive at the 11th hour to save you.

We were fortunate that Fitton et all were prepared to save us all those years ago, and we haven't looked back since. However football as a business really needs to learn to cut its cloth accordingly. The only way it will learn is if it see's one it's own going bust and for fairer distribution on funds.

Unfortunatly I think football will never learn.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #1296 on: Wednesday, July 25, 2012, 08:31:05 »

Although I wish no specific harm to any one club, I do think that we need a club to go to the wall for everyone else to realise that you can't always expect a saviour to arrive at the 11th hour to save you.

We were fortunate that Fitton et all were prepared to save us all those years ago, and we haven't looked back since. However football as a business really needs to learn to cut its cloth accordingly. The only way it will learn is if it see's one it's own going bust and for fairer distribution on funds.

Unfortunatly I think football will never learn.

Plenty of clubs have gone to the wall, in the time I've been watching football....either disappearing altogether, or having to start again down the pyramid.  Started with Accrington Stanley, and includes the likes of Aldershot, Chester, Scarborough, Maidstone, Newport County, Rushden and Diamonds, Workington and Bradford Park Avenue.

Pompey, need to liquidate and start again, around Conference South level....sell up at Fratton Park and ground share with Havant and Waterlooville.

It will be a shame for us, as Div 3 this season is horribly norvern, and Pompey has always been a decent fixture down the years.
kerry red

« Reply #1297 on: Wednesday, July 25, 2012, 09:10:23 »

Horrible plod at Pompey.

Got lifted there years ago for doing absolutely nowt - perhaps I was breathing too loud or something
blah blah

Ignore
« Reply #1298 on: Wednesday, July 25, 2012, 09:28:16 »

Plenty of clubs have gone to the wall, in the time I've been watching football....either disappearing altogether, or having to start again down the pyramid.  Started with Accrington Stanley, and includes the likes of Aldershot, Chester, Scarborough, Maidstone, Newport County, Rushden and Diamonds, Workington and Bradford Park Avenue.

Pompey, need to liquidate and start again, around Conference South level....sell up at Fratton Park and ground share with Havant and Waterlooville.

It will be a shame for us, as Div 3 this season is horribly norvern, and Pompey has always been a decent fixture down the years.

But most if not all of those were 4th division clubs who went bust predominantly because their attendances were too low to cope with the most basic professional players wages. Pompey are, like it or not a big, well known club who played in the FA cup final & Premier League not so long ago. They may be further down now, but hopefully this will have a bigger effect (along with the Rangers scenario) than the ones you mentioned above
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #1299 on: Wednesday, July 25, 2012, 09:34:54 »

But most if not all of those were 4th division clubs who went bust predominantly because their attendances were too low to cope with the most basic professional players wages. Pompey are, like it or not a big, well known club who played in the FA cup final & Premier League not so long ago. They may be further down now, but hopefully this will have a bigger effect (along with the Rangers scenario) than the ones you mentioned above

That's the problem...they're not.  They are a mid-size club that would typically attract crowds of 15,000 in the Championship before their owners started throwing cash around in an unsustainable spending spree.  Premiership status and the FA Cup were effectively bought.  But the saddest part of all is that their fans bought in to the idea that little old Pompey, with its rickety ground and yo-yo history, had a rightful place at the top table of English football - where players routinely earned multiples of £10,000 per week.  It was a massive self-delusion.  They are now paying the price.
blah blah

Ignore
« Reply #1300 on: Wednesday, July 25, 2012, 09:38:15 »

That's the problem...they're not.  They are a mid-size club that would typically attract crowds of 15,000 in the Championship before their owners started throwing cash around in an unsustainable spending spree.  Premiership status and the FA Cup were effectively bought.  But the saddest part of all is that their fans bought in to the idea that little old Pompey, with its rickety ground and yo-yo history, had a rightful place at the top table of English football - where players routinely earned multiples of £10,000 per week.  It was a massive self-delusion.  They are now paying the price.

Well yes I agree with that, but the fact that they were in the FA Cup Final & The PL, makes them a bigger name to most people than the likes of Chester, Accrington etc
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #1301 on: Wednesday, July 25, 2012, 09:48:25 »

Wasn't having a go (and see what you're saying).  I just think folk need to realise that, without the unsustainable spending, Pompey's history over the last 10 to 12 years would more likely have resembled clubs like Bristol City or Ipswich.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #1302 on: Wednesday, July 25, 2012, 10:20:22 »

So what you are saying is that Pompey are more important, because more people have heard of them than say Chester....

Personally I'd say that argument was bollocks....my contention was that lots of clubs have gone bankrupt, been liquidated and fallen out of the league...Pompey will just be one more.  What has been shown by the likes of Newport County, though, is that it is possible to get yourself back, as long as the spirit remains as it should with the fans.
blah blah

Ignore
« Reply #1303 on: Wednesday, July 25, 2012, 10:27:10 »

So what you are saying is that Pompey are more important, because more people have heard of them than say Chester....

Personally I'd say that argument was bollocks....my contention was that lots of clubs have gone bankrupt, been liquidated and fallen out of the league...Pompey will just be one more.  What has been shown by the likes of Newport County, though, is that it is possible to get yourself back, as long as the spirit remains as it should with the fans.
No I'm not saying they are more important, especially to the fans each club is just as important whatever level they play at. What I'm trying to say is that seeing the likes of Pompey or Rangers go bust is more likely to make more people stand back and think about the state of footballs finances than a 4th division club that a lot of people dont give a toss about.

Whilst I dont particularly like Pompey (but have no idea why to be honest!) I hope they can follow the examples of Accrington, Aldershot etc and get back into the FL, the city is too big not to have some sort of presence.
Power to people

Ignore
« Reply #1304 on: Thursday, July 26, 2012, 19:47:12 »

Pompey do not own fratton park it is owned by one of the previous owneers but I beleive that company is either in administration or receviership so it is thought that it someonew hopefully pompey trust can buy the club they cna get the ground as well which would help in the future, but if it goes to chainrai I fear he would split the ground and the club.
Pages: 1 ... 84 85 86 [87] 88 89 90 ... 99   Go Up
Print
Jump to: