Pages: 1 ... 81 82 83 [84] 85 86 87 ... 99   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Pay Up Pompey,Pompey Pay Up!  (Read 253713 times)
lambourn red

« Reply #1245 on: Monday, July 16, 2012, 13:24:19 »

2 of the trialists are Brian Howard and Izale McLeod....both not bad at this level.

Why would either of those players want to go to Pompey ? there has been a lot of speculation about Mcleod it would seem odd for him to choose a club that cannot pay there players.
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Things can only get better

« Reply #1246 on: Monday, July 16, 2012, 14:40:50 »

Simon Gillett ex Saints and Donny Rovers and Luke Rodgers ex of Port Vale and Shrewsbury are also among the trialists.

Don't know how they stand though as Pompey cannot sign anyone due to the transfer embargo.

Appleton has taken several trialists and youth-team players to Spain and the Pompey boss says it will be a useful exercise in bonding his squad.

Among those triallists are Izale Mcleod, Simon Gillett, Brian Howard, Moustapha Dumbuya, Jon Harley, Simon Eastwood, Luke Rogers and former Leeds winger Lloyd Sam.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
sonicyouth

Ignore
« Reply #1247 on: Monday, July 16, 2012, 16:30:53 »

I'd have Howard back if he could withstand a Paolo pre-season.

Didn't realise Luke Rodgers had left Lillestrøm already, he's become a proper journeyman of late.
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Things can only get better

« Reply #1248 on: Tuesday, July 17, 2012, 09:28:50 »

Now talks down in Bournemouth about a merger between them and Pompey.

http://www.bournemouthecho.co.uk/sport/9820117.Cherries__Mitchell_plays_down_merger_talk_with_Portsmouth/

Cherries: Mitchell plays down merger talk with Portsmouth

7:00am Tuesday 17th July 2012 in Sport Photograph of the Author By Neil Perrett

EDDIE Mitchell admits he is envious of Portsmouth’s supporter base but has played down suggestions the two clubs once discussed the possibility of a merger.

The Daily Echo understands the proposal may have been mooted several months ago, around the time crisis-hit Pompey filed for administration in February.

At the time, the Fratton Park-based outfit was owned by Convers Sports Initiatives, a company which had tried to buy Cherries in July 2010, only to be rebuffed by Mitchell.

Pompey, who are due to host Cherries on the opening day of the season, last week had a number of sanctions imposed on them by the Football League, including a 10-point deduction.

In an interview yesterday with the Daily Echo, Mitchell politely declined to be drawn on whether Cherries had spoken with Pompey’s previous owners about a merger.

Discussing the subject in general, he said: “Eventually, I think it is the way football will go. In years to come, to stay afloat and to compete, smaller clubs will combine. Clubs with 30 or 40 miles between them are not that distant.”

Mitchell, who picked up the pieces at Dean Court after Cherries had come through administration, added: “I sympathise with the people of Portsmouth. Our club had to go through it due to similar circumstances and it is only right that other clubs should face punishment.

“I feel for their supporters but, hopefully, in the long run, it will help united the club. We were subjected to various sanctions and I think that galvanised us.

“Portsmouth have got a fantastic platform to work from with their supporter base and they get 10,000 to 15,000 more people to games than we do. If there was any help we could offer them, we would. It is all down to hard work, sensible planning and having someone to drive it forward.

“It is a fine balancing act – supporters want success and chairmen may overspend to get it. It is a difficult situation. It is every club’s dream to reach the Premier League and the rewards are so unrealistic compared with the normal day-to-day running of a club.

“The most important thing to me since I have been here has been to work hard to try to improve everything and get more people to come. We have got a big enough catchment area and should be getting 10,000-plus not 5,000-plus.

“We would look pretty foolish building the fourth stand for it to be left empty and that is one of the reasons I haven’t pushed it too hard. If we hadn’t been able to facilitate everybody, that stand would have been up by now. If we were to go up, we would be able to fill the stadium regularly.”

Mitchell predicted Pompey would give Cherries their “hardest game of the season” at Fratton Park next month. He also revealed the restaurant at Dean Court had already almost sold out for the return fixture in February.
That won't ever happen IMO.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
The Grim Reaper

Ignore
« Reply #1249 on: Tuesday, July 17, 2012, 09:40:03 »

"Discussing the subject in general, he said: “Eventually, I think it is the way football will go. In years to come, to stay afloat and to compete, smaller clubs will combine. Clubs with 30 or 40 miles between them are not that distant.”

Utter tosh. So we'd be likely to merge with Oxford then? Not in a million years. Its not a new idea though, Oxford/Reading was rebuffed by fans as was Fulham/QPR. Too much rivalery in football for this too happen yet this guy talks as if it was Co-Op merging with Summerfield. Never going to happen.
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #1250 on: Tuesday, July 17, 2012, 10:15:20 »

Quote from: Eddie Mitchell
Discussing the subject in general, he said: “Eventually, I think it is the way football will go. In years to come, to stay afloat and to compete, smaller clubs will combine. Clubs with 30 or 40 miles between them are not that distant.

And with that, Eddie proved that he knew fuck all about football.
lambourn red

« Reply #1251 on: Friday, July 20, 2012, 16:11:10 »

Looks like the end is drawing even closer for Pompey

http://www.portsmouthfc.co.uk/LatestNews/news/Portsmouth-FC-Commences-Redundancy-Consultation-3542.aspx
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #1252 on: Friday, July 20, 2012, 16:24:44 »

Putting pressure on staff to sign compromise agreements.
bigbobjoylove

Ignore
« Reply #1253 on: Monday, July 23, 2012, 10:39:17 »

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11095/7928354/Pompey-on-the-brink

"The club is heading for liquidation in just a few weeks, perhaps two weeks if these players don't leave or compromise on their wages," Birch said.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #1254 on: Monday, July 23, 2012, 10:47:21 »

Putting pressure on staff to sign compromise agreements.

As above
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #1255 on: Monday, July 23, 2012, 10:55:58 »

What would you do in Kanu's shoes?  Owed £3 million in back pay.  If he sticks to his guns, is there any realistic prospect that he would get any of it?  I have some sympathy with him (and Kitson etc.)  None of the mess is their fault and they are owed what they are owed.  Very tricky.
bigbobjoylove

Ignore
« Reply #1256 on: Monday, July 23, 2012, 11:14:17 »

Find it hard to have any sympathy for the club. Apparently, a few weeks from going under and the manager is on about signing Premier League players ...

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11095/7928430/Appleton-admits-Derry-interest
walcot red

Ignore
« Reply #1257 on: Monday, July 23, 2012, 11:19:07 »

I thought that if a club was in admin they were put under a transfer embargo? why are players still wanting to sign for portsmouth knowing that they may not get paid?
suttonred

Ignore
« Reply #1258 on: Monday, July 23, 2012, 12:11:41 »

Find it hard to have any sympathy for the club. Apparently, a few weeks from going under and the manager is on about signing Premier League players ...

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11095/7928430/Appleton-admits-Derry-interest

They are never going to get it are they? Might as well pull the trigger. If the body isnt yet dead the brains clearly are.
The Grim Reaper

Ignore
« Reply #1259 on: Monday, July 23, 2012, 12:39:40 »

Won't have to put up with that knob end fan of theirs and his fucking bell.
Pages: 1 ... 81 82 83 [84] 85 86 87 ... 99   Go Up
Print
Jump to: