Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: swindon v colchester official matchday thread  (Read 18256 times)
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #165 on: Sunday, September 13, 2009, 08:27:01 »

Putting aside the fact we didn't win it, that was one of the best displays of controlled passing football I've seen from a Swindon side since 1996.  Some of the movement and little interchanges were a joy to watch.

Overall we probably should have got the win but I am happy with a point.  I see people are split on Colchester, well I think they are a good League 1 side and we controlled them yesterday.  They are strong, big and well organised but nothing fancy and we managed to nullify their threats bar one or two slips.  We also kept the ball away from them for long periods and created a few chances against a very strong defensive team.  They won't win many plaudits and many fans will think they are rubbish, but I think they'll be around the hunt for the play offs until near the end of the season.

I thought everyone of our team did their bit today.  Revell looked good, decent workrate and held it up well but doesn't get carried away like Paynter can and try too hard to win it back - saves energy for being a forward.

Huthinson will come good in a month or two I think, he's got something but I think his lack of experience combined with our formation mean he's taking a while to come through.  Tope I'm really warming too, he's a real mixed bag but I bet defenders hate facing him.  He's like a lower league Asprilla, all legs and looks awkward at times, but he's got enough to keep players honest defending him.  I'd take a player like him if he keeps chipping in with goals.

Back 4 were strong and Cuthbert will be stepping up in a season or so even if we don't.

Middle 3 look a cut above this league when combined.  Ferry is a cracking little player and we've done well to get him here, he could easily be playing in the Championship on loan.

I like the fact we could change a few players today and still look a good team, it bodes well for later in the season so long as we can extend a few loans or make some permanent in January.  McNamee being dropped is a good thing, it keeps him on his toes.  I think he's been good so far this season but still a little inconsistent, that should make him remember there are other options available to the management.  Paynter got a nice rest and came on fresh and could have scored.

If we can maintain this start then I am happy with how our season will pan out.
OOH! SHAUN TAYLOR
- FACT!

Ignore
« Reply #166 on: Sunday, September 13, 2009, 08:27:44 »

None of the 3 strikers that we started the game with actually belong to us: When was the last time that happened?

I'm reasonably confident that it's never happened before, and a new record was set today in the fine and glorious history of Swindon Town.
I'm sure that's right. It's fairly unusual to even play three up front and historically, we've never had that many loan players (no more than two) It's only in the last few seasons that we've had three of four in. So yes, a new record indeed.
OOH! SHAUN TAYLOR
- FACT!

Ignore
« Reply #167 on: Sunday, September 13, 2009, 08:29:28 »

Most of the time I can't believe the football we play either, in fact I spend most of the match shaking my head in disbelief.
You seem to be a bit out of step with the general consensus jonny Huh?
OOH! SHAUN TAYLOR
- FACT!

Ignore
« Reply #168 on: Sunday, September 13, 2009, 08:30:57 »

For me, it's hard to remember a time when there has been better on the ground distribution from defence to attack. Yes
What about the Ardiles 'samba soccer' years??
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #169 on: Sunday, September 13, 2009, 09:10:26 »

For me, it's hard to remember a time when there has been better on the ground distribution from defence to attack. Perhaps Reg will disagree as another oldie.  Smiley  Just fix the attack and it's sorted!  Grin
Greer has been fantastic compared with previous CB's, rarely wasting a ball when not under pressure, and they're all doing it now! Hope he's not too badly injured, that would cock things up.
Looking forward to watching them now, there were some hoofball spells previous seasons when only my season ticket dragged me out there.  Yes

The Ardiles/Hoddle/Gorman years, were the last when we played more or less pure ground based football. King's PO side, did play some stuff....you couldn't have Stefani Miglioranzi, Sammy Eyeglue and lardboy Howard in your midfield and be considered a long ball team.

Yesterday was encouraging to see Phil Smith rolling the ball out quite a bit, at one time Hoddle preferred Hammond to Digby, because he distributed by hand as his kicking was shit.
leefer

Ignore
« Reply #170 on: Sunday, September 13, 2009, 09:45:18 »

Yeah, I wasn't being negative. It seems quite odd these days to have a regular starter not talking to the press.

Might not talk to the press but he certainly lets players on the pitch know his thaughts...him and Lescinal were at each others throats after the first goal...Douglas gave him a right ear bashing(not his right ear,sort of both ears )
Simon Pieman
Original Wanker

« Reply #171 on: Sunday, September 13, 2009, 09:52:14 »

On reflection these are my more detailed thoughts on yesterday:

First half we started poorly and looked nervous. Just when we were beginning to gain some momentum we conceded a sloppy goal. For the rest of the half it reminded me of an England game before Capello got them playing well; kept the ball but couldn't create much against opposition who sat very deep. Then we got a break which I thought Hutchinson and Tope did very well, also credit to Amankwaah for trying to get up there with them and I think he helped create a couple of gaps.

Second half was a joy to watch in terms of passing. The thing I like most was the forward runs from the middle of midfield. Ferry was very good at it, even Timlin was doing it when he came on. There were a couple of occassions where Colchester could have grabbed a goal themselves and I thought theit forward players were dangerous.

Overall the way we handled possession and the chances we had makes me think we should have won, but ultimately this result maintains the momentum against a team who are up there with us so I'm not displeased.

Also, I take back what I said about McNamee, Amankwaah is actually the best winger at the club.

« Last Edit: Sunday, September 13, 2009, 09:53:53 by Si Pie » Logged
leefer

Ignore
« Reply #172 on: Sunday, September 13, 2009, 10:00:24 »

Yes Sie...got to say Amankwah has come on big time under Wilson...
A Gent Orange

Ignore
« Reply #173 on: Sunday, September 13, 2009, 10:05:31 »

Thanks for all these thoughts and reports everyone. The arrival of the nipper on Wednesday morning meant that going yesterday was never going to happen and Sky Sports News with the sound down while the relatives coo over her isn't the same.

It's interesting to hear such wildly differing views of the same game - and the same players - Hutchinson in particular.
leefer

Ignore
« Reply #174 on: Sunday, September 13, 2009, 10:23:08 »

Congrats Gent...was sed nipper a boy or girl?
A Gent Orange

Ignore
« Reply #175 on: Sunday, September 13, 2009, 10:28:06 »

Ta leefer.

She's a girl. A not very sleepy girl. Hence I've watched the Football League show three times in the last twelve hours.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #176 on: Sunday, September 13, 2009, 10:28:20 »

Congrats Mr. Orange.

One of the guys I sit with Mrs is due today. He was there with the mother-in-law leaving the wife home alone. I was willing a  "can ...report to the nearest steward, his wife is in labour" annoncement so much.

Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #177 on: Sunday, September 13, 2009, 10:32:13 »

Congrats Gent...was sed nipper a boy or girl?

I think the use of the feminine personal pronoun is a bit of a clue.
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #178 on: Sunday, September 13, 2009, 10:33:49 »

Many congratulations, Gent.
A Gent Orange

Ignore
« Reply #179 on: Sunday, September 13, 2009, 10:35:24 »

Congrats Mr. Orange.

One of the guys I sit with Mrs is due today. He was there with the mother-in-law leaving the wife home alone. I was willing a  "can ...report to the nearest steward, his wife is in labour" annoncement so much.

Despite the advent of the mobile I had hoped to do the same for the Southend game.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15   Go Up
Print
Jump to: