Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: swindon v colchester official matchday thread  (Read 18277 times)
Berniman
Sits in front of JFW

Miserable cnut (AKA Happy Clapper)

Ignore
« Reply #150 on: Saturday, September 12, 2009, 18:51:24 »

I thought it was a good game today for a 1-1!  I thought Col U looked a decent outfit first half but second half we dominated without looking like scoring (apart from the 35 yard thunderbolt)

Greer and Cuthbert were immense today, Cuthbert shading it over Greer for MOTM today.  He will be playing at a higher level in the next 3 years if he carries on like that.

Revell looked decent, workrate of Cox with not as much quality, but capable of bringing others into the game.  Even though it would be 2 big men I think him and Paynter would work well together because for a big man he is much more mobile than Paynter.

Even though he scored a goal Tobe failed to impress me enough today, though there is something there.  Hutchinson needs a goal.  Smith did well but MOTM, WTF!  He had nothing to do for 80% of the game.

What a difference between the STFC team of last year and this!  DW has transformed the style of play and brought in some quality additions, I still worry about up front though.  Not convinced with Tobe, not sure about Hutchinson but I believe that Revell could work with Paynter, but whether enough goals would come from the pairing is argueable!  Douglas, Ferry, Greer and Cuthbert are a class apart though IMO.

If a decent offer comes in from Norwich we should snap there hands off IMO.

As far as the match goes I totally agree with Batch!
« Last Edit: Saturday, September 12, 2009, 18:54:09 by Berniman » Logged

“Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.” ― Marcus Aurelius

When somebody shouts STOP! I never know if it's in the name of love, if it's HAMMER TIME, or if I should collaborate and listen...
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #151 on: Saturday, September 12, 2009, 19:07:42 »

On the MotM point, remember the game where Kanyuka was man of the match and the whole crowd collectively started laughing?
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #152 on: Saturday, September 12, 2009, 19:08:51 »

The champagne goes to their heads.
sonicyouth

Ignore
« Reply #153 on: Saturday, September 12, 2009, 19:09:46 »

fair play to smith for having a decent game after stepping in at short notice...but he wasn't even one of the top 5 players on the pitch today.

col u also have two very good forwards, so i think today's result is a decent indication of where we're at.

oh and the three whinging moany cunts sat behind me (row w, 210ish) haven't changed one iota since 2005, they're still complaining about the same things.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #154 on: Saturday, September 12, 2009, 19:11:40 »

"The Coach" was in fine shouty voice today. He often gives great advice from his seat like "no don't kick it out of play" and "pass it to the man", "get it out wide" etc etc. If he was manager we'd be champions by Christmas.
sonicyouth

Ignore
« Reply #155 on: Saturday, September 12, 2009, 19:14:09 »

sounds a bit like the gems from the cunts behind me then, such words of wisdom like "he missed that!" or when a pass is slightly too long/heavy you're bound to hear "what a waste of time/space/oxygen, useless"

even my girlfriend was giving them evils in the second half.
dell boy

« Reply #156 on: Saturday, September 12, 2009, 19:16:17 »

I enjoyed the game today, got to disagree with most and say I thought Colchester were a poor side, long ball hoofers. Platt looked dangerous for them what a handful he is, must be 7 foot tall, luckily we have a real man in defence in Greer this season who is prepared to put any part of his body and inflict wounds on any part of the opponents body to stop the buggers breaking through.
It took us 20 minutes to have a shot at goal in the first half and before  Colchester scored they  closed us down well and stopped us playing from the back, then mysterious they dropped off the play and it really gave us the initiative.
Douglas in the first half was fantastic, some of the one-touch football was light years away from early season Malpas last season.
We should have one the game. Talking to four or five Colchester fans in the car park they couldn't believe the football we played. One said I heard Swindon were fodder and a cert for relegation, let me tell you Swindon are the best footballing side we have played this season.
adje

Ignore
« Reply #157 on: Saturday, September 12, 2009, 19:19:51 »

Does Jonathan Douglas ever talk to the press or radio (which I don't listen to)? I don't think I've heard anything from him since he joined.

that's a good thing

quot;Molten memories splashing down
 upon the rooves of Swindon Town"
Rich Pullen

« Reply #158 on: Saturday, September 12, 2009, 19:23:04 »

Yeah, I wasn't being negative. It seems quite odd these days to have a regular starter not talking to the press.
reeves4england

We'll never die!

Ignore
« Reply #159 on: Saturday, September 12, 2009, 19:33:58 »

I was a bit dissappointed as I came away from the game, perhaps because we didn't have that quality in front of goal, or even to create chances. however, in reflection I'd say I'm pretty happy with the point. Colchester did not come and play good football, but they are very good at being a team of big awkward lumps. For the first few minutes we were under serious pressure, mostly through aerial bombardment. After that though we managed to get the ball on the deck and started ripping them to shreds through the middle of the park. Then we switched off for a couple of minutes and they went 1-0 up.

It didn't really look like we were going to score many today, but we did catch them on the break a few times, and quite frankly if we'd failed to score from Hutchison's long break out of defence then I'd have been very pissed off. Hutch did very well to take the ball taht far, and wait until the pass was on rather than rushing it like everybody around me wanted. Slipped it nicely into Tope who picked his spot and smashed it in.

In the second half they didn't create much at all. We pushed forward and eventually started giving eachother options both in wide areas and through the middle, and only looked threatened when we made silly mistakes and gave the ball away too easily - thankfully Colchester never punished us. Revell's shot was a cracker, and I was amazed the keeper seemed so relaxed about it given that it eventually beat him. Also, Ferry should have scored. There was no need for him to turn back inside the defender, and even after he had, he should have put it in the net.

I was impressed with Revell today. I thought he made good runs and was unpredictable, and it was so good to see somebody have a shot from long range. As others have said, Revell and Paynter could work as a partnership. I'd imagine they'd bring the midfielders into the attacking play a lot so goals would be shared around, rather than them getting 20 each! The big question is whether or not Wilson is willing to go with 2 up top.
Rustle
Prediction League Champion 2012/13

TEF World Cup Stunners Champion 2010

Ignore
« Reply #160 on: Saturday, September 12, 2009, 19:40:44 »

I can't make my mind up if we we're lucky or unlucky,on one hand we had enough chances to win the game  they should have had what was a clear cut penalty where greer pushed their man over in the penalty area.

I thought revell was very good considering it was his debut,for a tall lad he's quite mobile and his first touch is better than any of our other centre forwards,Tope  frustrates me at times but not as much as hutchinson who is lazy in my book and wont chase a ball unless it's a tad infront of him.

As for mom do these people actually know anything about football.

All in all i enjoyed todays game and im glad we got wilson and not boothroyd,It's now becoming a pleasure watching swindon under danny wilson's guidance.
michael
The Dude Abides

Ignore
« Reply #161 on: Saturday, September 12, 2009, 19:44:05 »

None of the 3 strikers that we started the game with actually belong to us: When was the last time that happened?

I'm reasonably confident that it's never happened before, and a new record was set today in the fine and glorious history of Swindon Town.
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #162 on: Saturday, September 12, 2009, 20:12:08 »

Chaps (& Luci)

Many thanks for the excellent match reports this evening.  I can't remember the last time we had in depth post match analysis from so many who went to the game.  Those of us who couldn't make it do appreciate it.
jonny72

Ignore
« Reply #163 on: Sunday, September 13, 2009, 00:33:23 »

Talking to four or five Colchester fans in the car park they couldn't believe the football we played.

Most of the time I can't believe the football we play either, in fact I spend most of the match shaking my head in disbelief.
normy

Ignore
« Reply #164 on: Sunday, September 13, 2009, 08:20:28 »

For me, it's hard to remember a time when there has been better on the ground distribution from defence to attack. Perhaps Reg will disagree as another oldie.  Smiley  Just fix the attack and it's sorted!  Grin
Greer has been fantastic compared with previous CB's, rarely wasting a ball when not under pressure, and they're all doing it now! Hope he's not too badly injured, that would cock things up.
Looking forward to watching them now, there were some hoofball spells previous seasons when only my season ticket dragged me out there.  Yes

ust be the oldest
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15   Go Up
Print
Jump to: