Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: The Gayers.....  (Read 5387 times)
sheepshagger
Suburban Capitalist........

Ignore
« on: Wednesday, August 12, 2009, 13:11:07 »

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/8197306.stm

Bless them  Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

Wise men say........
reeves4england

We'll never die!

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday, August 12, 2009, 13:18:54 »

I understand the need to protect players from serious abuse over their sexuality, but I think reports go too far in so much as most "homophobic" chants are things like suggesting a player is gay, despite the fact he has a wife and three kids. I don't really see too much of a problem with that, it's just banter, the only real problem in my view would be fans abusing somebody specifically because they ARE gay.

Even then I think the idea of docking points from the club is ridiculous - the league table should not reflect what goes on in the stands.
BANGKOK RED

« Reply #2 on: Wednesday, August 12, 2009, 13:32:44 »

docking points

Stop it.
jonny72

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday, August 12, 2009, 13:40:11 »

Has anyone ever heard any homophobic chants at a game?

I don't recall every hearing any, maybe some suggesting a player was gay but then I wouldn't call that homophobic.

Besides, calling a player gay might just be a reference to them being a fun, easy going kind of guy.

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday, August 12, 2009, 13:52:40 »

i remember jimmy quinn getting called a homosexual when he was playing against us.(for leicester i think)
and the elton john chants whenever watford played us
ghanimah

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday, August 12, 2009, 13:56:42 »

Iain Dale the popular gay Conservative West Ham supporting blogger had a good post about the fine line between the dilemma of banter and prejudice in football, earlier this year:

Here's a sample:

What a remarkable morning’s posting, and funny with it. But here’s the thing. I’m a gay West Ham boxholder (see, we’re everywhere, but mainly near a bar) and to my similarly hard-drinking footie mates that’s about as interesting as whether I’m left or right-handed. But isn’t all of this about context? My black (straight) mate is forever keen to reinforce the stereotype about the size of what’s in his underwear, a Jewish acquaintance is a Spurs supporter and loaded (and gets ribbed for it), I’m always complaining that West Ham players are universally ugly (though things are improving a bit of late). They are only words, it’s malice or intent that matters. By all accounts Carol Thatcher meant nothing by what she said (anyone who has ever seen or heard her would be aware she’s hardly the sharpest knife in the drawer). So consider this: it’s the last ten minutes v Hull, everyone’s up for a corner and in goes Cole, Boa Morte, Ilunga and Faubert, a bit of melee and the ball goes out of play. Bloody hell, I said, no idea what happened there it was just a forest of black, shaven heads. I know said my mate, it’s like looking down on a box of matches from here. Now I think that’s funny, and NOT racist. But dissect it on Radio 4 for a couple of hours and see where it ends up. Bored already.

http://iaindale.blogspot.com/2009/02/misunderstood-funny-or-racist.html

"We perform the duties of freemen; we must have the privileges of freemen ..."
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday, August 12, 2009, 15:16:53 »

Has anyone ever heard any homophobic chants at a game?

Never been to a Brighton game then?

And in my opinion it's no different from being called Wurzels or inbreds by opposing fans.
Spencer_White

« Reply #7 on: Wednesday, August 12, 2009, 16:52:27 »

85% of the people who answered the STONEWALL survey agreed with the punishment of those Spurs fans.

People just want to take football and change it for their own agenda. Leave football alone!
jonny72

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday, August 12, 2009, 17:07:13 »

Never been to a Brighton game then?

And in my opinion it's no different from being called Wurzels or inbreds by opposing fans.

I was working in Brighton during their last season in the old game and I went to a cup match. Don't recall hearing anything from the away fans, though it was a good few years ago. I was contracting down there so I lived in a B&B during the week, the best one I stayed in by far was run by a gay couple.
jonny72

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday, August 12, 2009, 17:10:05 »

Personally, I'd say "a forest of black, shaven heads" and "it’s like looking down on a box of matches from here" are bordering on racist. Would anyone say something similar if the players were white? Maybe, "its like looking down on a box of cotton wool buds"? I don't think so. Except maybe in Africa.
reeves4england

We'll never die!

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday, August 12, 2009, 17:15:40 »

Personally, I'd say "a forest of black, shaven heads" and "it’s like looking down on a box of matches from here" are bordering on racist. Would anyone say something similar if the players were white? Maybe, "its like looking down on a box of cotton wool buds"? I don't think so. Except maybe in Africa.
I think if it was a group of white players with similar hair, e.g. blonde, or ginger, or dark crew cut, then the same sort of comment would probably be deemed perfectly acceptable
chalkies_shorts

« Reply #11 on: Wednesday, August 12, 2009, 18:09:35 »

85% of the people who answered the STONEWALL survey agreed with the punishment of those Spurs fans.

People just want to take football and change it for their own agenda. Leave football alone!
Who cares what a bunch of faggots think?
leefer

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday, August 12, 2009, 18:17:43 »

Who cares what a bunch of faggots think?

Come on Chalkie...use your Brains.

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday, August 12, 2009, 18:41:05 »

yeah all of them
herthab
TEF Travel

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday, August 12, 2009, 20:47:21 »

Fucking hell, it all sound a bit 'precious' if you ask me. Banter and insults are all wrapped up in football. If you don't like it, go watch the ballet you fucking gayer.

It's All Good..............
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up
Print
Jump to: