Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: looking ahead...  (Read 6851 times)
jonny72

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: Monday, August 10, 2009, 19:21:29 »

Why do some people think new formations like 4-3-2-1 or 4-1-4-1 or whatever is the solution at the moment? The only formations that have been used over the past year are 4-4-2 and 3-5-2 (or 3-4-3). No point fucking about with some crazy formation the team aren't used to, we need to stick with what they know.

The lack of a 2nd striker is obviously an issue but I'd say fuck it - let Macklin have a go alongside Paynter. At least that way the team is in a formation they're used to and I reckon there is a chance Macklin could cut it - he scored a good few goals in the reserve / youth team didn't he?

Same goes for people suggesting McNamee is a liability defensive wise in a 4-4-2. That ain't news and it didn't seem to cause too many problems last season. Plus he seems to work really well with Amankwaah behind him.
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: Tuesday, August 11, 2009, 08:49:33 »

Could it be worth trying Lescinel at centre back? He's surely quicker than Morrison/Greer so would add a bit of pace.

Shoot me down though, I have never seen him play and just making random suggestions!

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
Don Rogers Shop

« Reply #47 on: Tuesday, August 11, 2009, 08:56:30 »

Why do some people think new formations like 4-3-2-1 or 4-1-4-1 or whatever is the solution at the moment? The only formations that have been used over the past year are 4-4-2 and 3-5-2 (or 3-4-3). No point fucking about with some crazy formation the team aren't used to, we need to stick with what they know.

The lack of a 2nd striker is obviously an issue but I'd say fuck it - let Macklin have a go alongside Paynter. At least that way the team is in a formation they're used to and I reckon there is a chance Macklin could cut it - he scored a good few goals in the reserve / youth team didn't he?

Same goes for people suggesting McNamee is a liability defensive wise in a 4-4-2. That ain't news and it didn't seem to cause too many problems last season. Plus he seems to work really well with Amankwaah behind him.
Out of interest have you forgot about last season? You seem to have forgot we nearly went down last year
stfctownenda

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: Tuesday, August 11, 2009, 09:12:52 »

Could it be worth trying Lescinel at centre back? He's surely quicker than Morrison/Greer so would add a bit of pace.

Shoot me down though, I have never seen him play and just making random suggestions!

Pace is one thing but he has the worst positional sense of the back 4 so I would not move him there, after Saturdays display I would be tempted to bring Kennedy in for Lescinel.
Simon Pieman
Original Wanker

« Reply #49 on: Tuesday, August 11, 2009, 09:17:39 »

Lescinel did well against Peterborough last season. Hopefully that bad performance is not to be repeated, much like the other players.
Don Rogers Shop

« Reply #50 on: Tuesday, August 11, 2009, 09:21:58 »

To be fair to lescinal on saturday he had his own man to mark also had jackson to deal with after greer and morrison let him go and no protection from o'brien once he got injured.
stfctownenda

Ignore
« Reply #51 on: Tuesday, August 11, 2009, 09:47:49 »

To be fair to lescinal on saturday he had his own man to mark also had jackson to deal with after greer and morrison let him go and no protection from o'brien once he got injured.

Yes but the way that guy coasted past him on the first goal was embarassing and he kept letting the ball bounce when they hit long which is defensive basics.  Vast majority of problems were down his side and arguably he was at fault for 3 of the goals.
Anteater

Ignore
« Reply #52 on: Tuesday, August 11, 2009, 10:31:24 »

Yes but the way that guy coasted past him on the first goal was embarassing and he kept letting the ball bounce when they hit long which is defensive basics.  Vast majority of problems were down his side and arguably he was at fault for 3 of the goals.

Bit harsh to pin 3 on him !
dell boy

« Reply #53 on: Tuesday, August 11, 2009, 10:34:36 »

Does anyone remember the best combination of centre backs this country has ever had - Jack Charlton and Bobby Moore, neither had pace.
Charlton put himself about and Moore read the game so well he didn't need pace

Morrison and Greer are nowhere close to being in the same class, but as professional footballers and with some similarities should in time do a good job for us.

If we start changing the line up at the back after every disaster or defeat then another disaster and defeat will follow. They need time to form a partnership.

reeves4england

We'll never die!

Ignore
« Reply #54 on: Tuesday, August 11, 2009, 10:37:03 »

Does anyone remember the best combination of centre backs this country has ever had - Jack Charlton and Bobby Moore, neither had pace.

Morrison and Greer are nowhere close to being in the same class, but as professional footballers and with some similarities should in time do a good job for us.

If we start changing the line up at the back after every disaster or defeat then another disaster and defeat will follow. They need time to form a partnership.
I think you're right - last season we never saw Greer getting turned inside out, and Morrison was no mug either. Saturday was a bad day for an overwhelming majority of the team, those two included. Hopefully they can sort it out for tonight.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #55 on: Tuesday, August 11, 2009, 10:49:10 »

Charlton and Moore got away with it because Nobby Stiles kicked anything in front of them...you're old enough to remember Don Rogers leaving Bobby Moore hopelessly exposed for pace when Town put 6 on West Ham in the space of 4 days back in 67.

Ignore
« Reply #56 on: Tuesday, August 11, 2009, 11:19:48 »

no it isn't.
dell boy

« Reply #57 on: Tuesday, August 11, 2009, 11:22:23 »

Charlton and Moore got away with it because Nobby Stiles kicked anything in front of them...you're old enough to remember Don Rogers leaving Bobby Moore hopelessly exposed for pace when Town put 6 on West Ham in the space of 4 days back in 67.

Everyone has/had a bad day even Bobby Moore!!!

Lawrenson & Hanson - enough medals between them to fill a suitcase - and of course our own Burrows & Harland - none of them greyhounds.

In Douglas we have our cruncher in the middle.

The point is, we are a very average side in Division One,  I was trying to make a case for giving our centre backs time to form a partnership, not the view from most that the problems last weekend came about because of lack of pace with Morrison and Greer.

You are old enough to know if you keep changing formations and individuals after a defeat, another defeat will normally follow, and then another, and another.
stfctownenda

Ignore
« Reply #58 on: Tuesday, August 11, 2009, 12:34:10 »

He was definitely at fault on the first, the headed goal from the set piece looked like it was his man or that he could of done better and I am pretty sure there was another which he did poorly in. 

Lescinel was very impressive pre-season then Saturday he went back to last seasons form and positionally was poor, didn't win enough headers and wasted possession.  Although don't want to single him out too much as there was at least 9 other players who were dreadful.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #59 on: Tuesday, August 11, 2009, 12:45:53 »

Lescinel was very impressive pre-season

Not against Plymouth he wasn't. But again nobody was as the defence looked shakey (with Ifil) and the attack non existent.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up
Print
Jump to: