Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Nerves  (Read 5130 times)
flammableBen

« Reply #30 on: Thursday, July 16, 2009, 13:35:17 »

hmmm maybe - but if it was YOU saying it not a random I would love it

Would you say that your left arm is nicer than your right?
Sippo
Living in the 80s

I ain't gettin on no plane fool

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: Thursday, July 16, 2009, 13:40:48 »

Bit of a tip, schools like flexibility. Saying you're willing to work til the job is done. They like people who are prepared to take on challenges.

Once you're in it really is a life of riley. Free trips galore. I was asked if I wanted to go on two week skiiing trip fully paid last year to italy.

If my calculations are correct, when this baby hits 88 miles per hour, you're gonna see some serious shit...
Jamiesfuturewife
Cats is nature

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: Thursday, July 16, 2009, 14:02:38 »

Would you say that your left arm is nicer than your right?

Probably my right arms a bit nicer than my left actually
flammableBen

« Reply #33 on: Thursday, July 16, 2009, 14:17:29 »

I think my right is probably a bit nicer too. Arm buddies.
Phil_S

Who changed my Avatar ?!

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: Thursday, July 16, 2009, 14:32:12 »

I have had very few interviews but have been the interviwer a few times. All I would say is that you don't get an ionterview if you are clearly not able to do the job. Why would they waste their time interviewing you unless they thought you maY BE THE RIGHT PERSON FOR THE JOB. You highlight your lack of experience, but really you need to highlight the reasons that you would be good at the job, & prepare for the lack of experience thing. eg. Ask the interviewer how they gained the experience for THEIR first job, point out any of the positive aspects of it such as you have " a clean canvas"
Above all though, the worst that can happen is that you don't get the job. It's not life or death & in the grand scheme of things is not going to affect the rest of your life

From the Dark Side
Dazzza

« Reply #35 on: Thursday, July 16, 2009, 14:40:49 »

A wrap of speed will normally do the trick.

Either that or get some practice interviews done.  Ideally from someone you don’t know to well to fire a few questions at you and run through your CV.

nochee

« Reply #36 on: Thursday, July 16, 2009, 14:48:20 »

A wrap of speed will normally do the trick.

Like Spud from trainspotting you mean!  "your leisure, is my pleasure"
Barry Scott

« Reply #37 on: Thursday, July 16, 2009, 16:38:31 »

2 interviews i have had to sit in, in recent years have both asked me the question "and what are your weak points" Can someone help me with a good answer to this? Obviously i could sit there for hours listing off how crap i am at most things but its not really talking myself into a job is it.

I always think being candid shows good character strength, so i've always been frank with my negatives, as well as thrown in a couple of positive negatives. Such as:

Being very poor at delegation , "because i'm unable to leave anything at a loose end, such is my desire to complete something properly."

Speaking up too much "because I like to share ideas on things I think could be improved."

I also always tell potential employers some negative negatives simply because you come across as honest. (I also always say i'm too honest and have difficulty dressing things up, whch will tie in and vidicate you when you come out with some nproper negatives.) For instance I always say my time keepings crap, because i'm never on time. I then elaborate by explaining that I don't have to "attempt" to make up the time, simply because i'll always be there later than everyone, tying up lose ends because i have to finish everything i start.
Luci

Fatbury's Stalker

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: Thursday, July 16, 2009, 19:12:41 »

Totally agree Barry, you have to be able to admit you have areas which you can work on and develop rather than making out you are perfect as from my experience, they will see right through you otherwise.

Wanting to improve yourself/work on your weaknesses normally comes across as a positive as it shows honesty and a desire to improve.
BANGKOK RED

« Reply #39 on: Thursday, July 16, 2009, 19:27:26 »

I always think being candid shows good character strength, so i've always been frank with my negatives, as well as thrown in a couple of positive negatives. Such as:

Being very poor at delegation , "because i'm unable to leave anything at a loose end, such is my desire to complete something properly."

Speaking up too much "because I like to share ideas on things I think could be improved."

Getting frustrated and/or bored if not kept busy is one of my admisssion's in interviews. Has a very good hit rate for me and is the absolute truth.

Jobs in this part of the world are mostly gained through nepotism though and so I haven't been asked such a question since......... (I can't actually remember when).

P.S. I did notice my 3 "S's" in admission's, but I liked it and so decided to keep it that way.
Simon Pieman
Original Wanker

« Reply #40 on: Thursday, July 16, 2009, 22:09:08 »

I think being prepared is the best tip, have a rough idea of what you want from the employer as well as what they want from you. You can then base the interview around these points.

The interviewer may throw a couple of tricky questions into the mix to catch you on the hop and see how you react. If you don't know then don't bullshit, say you're not sure but applying other knowledge you think [this].

Try not to think about it too much when you're in there, you'll appear more genuine and engaging. If you're interacting with the interviewer then they'll see you as being able to get on with people and fit into a team/interact with clients.

I've not had many interviews but of the ones I've had I've been offered the job very soon after or on the spot, save one occassion where the interview didn't go well. The manager who interviewed me just wanted to talk about nights out and getting pissed which wasn't very professional.
chalkies_shorts

« Reply #41 on: Thursday, July 16, 2009, 22:48:15 »

I've interviewed a fair few people over the years. Here's the things I look for. Good eye contact. I wouldn't ask people to an interview if I wasn't prepared to employ them but you can sort out the bullshitters early on. I want somebody to have done thier homework - if they phone me in advance of the interview for information its a plus point.  I want somedody to tell me they want the job - its obvious but not may people do it. Dress the part - it shows you care - fuck later. Don't chew gum. If you can't answer a question, don't waffle ask  if you can come back to that question. Don't bullshit - give straight answers - be youself. Make sure you have a couple of questions to ask.  At the end of the interview tell then you want the job and ask them if there are any questions you have left unanswered or if they feel you have been ambiguous on any point that you could try and clear up.
Best of luck matey. I've taken on people who have been nervous if they can show other qualities. Your lack of experience shouldn't count - if it did then wht interview you. 
ibelieveinmrreeves
Should've gone to Specsavers

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: Sunday, July 19, 2009, 19:20:49 »

Right, I got the itinerary the other day, and as it turns out, the head is the ex-husband of one of my former teachers. So I'm hoping a bit of common ground will do me well.

I did a little research earlier on the school, will do some more later/tomorrow but right now I'm going to go through and re-read this thread. Mucho gracias to those who contributed!

Even men with steel hearts love to see a dog on the pitch.
chrome dome

« Reply #43 on: Sunday, July 19, 2009, 19:29:22 »

I spend my life interviewing people - its simple - tell the truth, don't bullshit - they will spot it it if you do
Kinky Tom
Snow Master Sandwich King.

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: Sunday, July 19, 2009, 20:38:38 »

I find it useful to just remember the interviewer is just another person, we all meet new people all the time and are comfortable with it so there's really no need for this to be any different.

Like you mentioned, if you can find common ground, then that helps, it makes you equals and reduces the pressure.

Good luck mate and remember to make the most of it either way, if it's positive then awesome, if not then it's invaluable experience.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up
Print
Jump to: