Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Nerves  (Read 5133 times)
ibelieveinmrreeves
Should've gone to Specsavers

Ignore
« on: Thursday, July 16, 2009, 09:52:03 »

Do you get them? How do you deal with them? Drugs? Deep breathing? Meditation?

I ask because this morning I was invited to my second interview since finishing uni, and as I mentioned in the recession thread, I've been making applications but not getting very far. My previous interview was a bit of a disaster as nerves got the better of me, and although I felt I recovered after a bit, it's that initial meeting that I think sways a lot of people.

Trouble is, I know I'm going in as a weak candidate due to my lack of experience. And as interview practice is hard to come by, I can afford less and less to screw up the opportunities I do get. Which just stresses me out, frankly.

Anyway. I won't take any drugs for fear of ending up in some sitcom-esque situation where I have a bad reaction and try to dry hump one of the male panelists, or something equally hilarious. But any other tips are welcome.

Even men with steel hearts love to see a dog on the pitch.
Sippo
Living in the 80s

I ain't gettin on no plane fool

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: Thursday, July 16, 2009, 09:55:18 »

In interviews a good interviewer will realise that an interviewee will be nervous. What I tend to do, is find the location first, say a couple of days before, arrive early and go for a walk before hand to clear the head.

If my calculations are correct, when this baby hits 88 miles per hour, you're gonna see some serious shit...
LucienSanchez

Is this hospital called St. Croc of Shit?!

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: Thursday, July 16, 2009, 10:02:46 »

a double whiskey 10 minutes before, followed by a chewing gum. No word of a lie.

We made a promise we swore we'd always remember... no retreat, baby, no surrender
Samdy Gray
Dirty sneaky traitor weasel

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: Thursday, July 16, 2009, 10:06:16 »

I used to be the same and had some terrible interviews as a result. I know it won't help, but I found that going for an interview for a job I needed out of neccesity (e.g. purely for the money) I'd get very nervous. On the other hand, I've had interviews for jobs that I didn't really need but would've loved doing (and been a great career step) which I found much more comfortable.

As Sippo says, a lot can depend on the interviewer as well.

I find a way to calm the nerves is to be as prepared as possible, so that you're confident you've got everything cover. Know the location & how long it will take you to get there etc. Read up a little bit about the company and think of some questions you'd like to ask them. Also prepare for the questions they might ask you.
Barry Scott

« Reply #4 on: Thursday, July 16, 2009, 10:12:19 »

Visualise yourself getting the job and convince yourself they need you more than you need them. Also make it absolutely clear when you first arrive that you won't be answering any of their bullshit questions and you've got a better interview after this one. Then point out that if they could get a bloody move on and stop the inane small talk, it'd reflect favourably on them when you come to decide who it is you will allow to employ you...
Don Rogers Shop

« Reply #5 on: Thursday, July 16, 2009, 10:24:16 »

Fuck it, bottle it and don't turn up
suttonred

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: Thursday, July 16, 2009, 10:26:25 »

If no ones looking, knock one out in reception.
Don Rogers Shop

« Reply #7 on: Thursday, July 16, 2009, 10:26:59 »

If they are looking knock two out,it shows commitment
suttonred

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: Thursday, July 16, 2009, 10:28:28 »

Although not if the job involves any form of risk management.
nochee

« Reply #9 on: Thursday, July 16, 2009, 10:55:05 »

Iv not really had to sit in many interviews as my line of work seems to go down the work experience route and they skim thru your cv, see where you have worked and then give you a week to see if you are any good.

2 interviews i have had to sit in, in recent years have both asked me the question "and what are your weak points" Can someone help me with a good answer to this? Obviously i could sit there for hours listing off how crap i am at most things but its not really talking myself into a job is it.

I failed both times at these interviews.   Sad

flammableBen

« Reply #10 on: Thursday, July 16, 2009, 10:57:26 »

a double whiskey 10 minutes before, followed by a chewing gum. No word of a lie.

Maybe two.

All this new age mental feng shui stuff might sound more sensible, but alcohol has a proven track record for medicating stuff like this over centuries. It's the safe option.
Samdy Gray
Dirty sneaky traitor weasel

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: Thursday, July 16, 2009, 11:03:40 »

2 interviews i have had to sit in, in recent years have both asked me the question "and what are your weak points" Can someone help me with a good answer to this? Obviously i could sit there for hours listing off how crap i am at most things but its not really talking myself into a job is it.

I wouldn't answer that one directly. I'd just say I don't have any weak points and my strong points are... and leave it at that. Or you could possibly say your weak points are being too strong at something, like being overly ambituous, can't leave a piece of work unfinished etc.
flammableBen

« Reply #12 on: Thursday, July 16, 2009, 11:20:26 »

Head and Groin
nochee

« Reply #13 on: Thursday, July 16, 2009, 11:21:10 »

I wouldn't answer that one directly. I'd just say I don't have any weak points and my strong points are... and leave it at that. Or you could possibly say your weak points are being too strong at something, like being overly ambituous, can't leave a piece of work unfinished etc.

Thats good, but both interviews have asked for my strong points first and then attacked my weaker side. When failing to answer the question they have both said "so you are perfect then" I felt the jobs slipping away from then on.

1 job was for an underwater videographer in the Maldives, the other was for a subway graffiti cleaner in Sweden.

Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: Thursday, July 16, 2009, 11:22:46 »

Similar roles then?
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up
Print
Jump to: