Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 ... 24   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: who are you voting in the euro elections?  (Read 39650 times)
Phil_S

Who changed my Avatar ?!

Ignore
« Reply #210 on: Monday, June 8, 2009, 10:50:06 »

Interesting that UKIP are planning to stand in every seat in the next general election. Seems a bit stupid to me, the majority of the votes they get will come from people that would otherwise vote Tory - reducing the number of seats the main Euro sceptic party will get (Tories) and increasing the number of seats the main pro Euro party will get (Labour). It could result in Labour staying in power and hence no referendum even on Lisbon.

Though I guess Cameron could cut a deal to get them to drop out.
Yes I heard that too & by & large agree with you. Having said that from UKIP's point of view they will only get what they want is they can get parliamnet to vote for UK independence. They could win every seat in the euro elections & it would make no difference what so ever.

They also reckoned that they were getting more votes from labour this time.

I agree with what you are saying , I would not be voting UKIP at a general election, as they stand no chance. I think a lot of voters will take the same line & that this is a major reason why the conservative vote wasn't higher in the Euro's

The problem with the conservatives & labour is that both parties have sections that are very pro europe as well as sections that are anti europe.

From the Dark Side
Phil_S

Who changed my Avatar ?!

Ignore
« Reply #211 on: Monday, June 8, 2009, 10:53:04 »

and if you Google cost of voter stupidity you get 3,620,000 hits. What's your point?

My point is that most estimates are considerably higher than the UKIP claim of 40 million a day (Which is £14 billion  a year). FB was trying to say that UKIP were using inflated figures, my point is that by most estimates that UKIP's figures are LOW)

I did not want to use one source, so suggest picking a few & taking the average as a "best guess"

From the Dark Side
Don Rogers Shop

« Reply #212 on: Monday, June 8, 2009, 10:54:56 »

Disapointing about the midgets yeovil isnt it.
spacey

« Reply #213 on: Monday, June 8, 2009, 10:58:15 »

Disapointing about the midgets yeovil isnt it.

When I searched it asked me whether I was trying to find 9 headed midgets. I decided that I was. Unfortunately I couldn't find any of them either. Why did it ask me if they weren't any? I find this very misleading.
Don Rogers Shop

« Reply #214 on: Monday, June 8, 2009, 11:08:48 »

I would complain.
jonny72

Ignore
« Reply #215 on: Monday, June 8, 2009, 11:35:41 »

I just can't see withdrawal from the EU as happening, ever. There is the possibility to re-negotiate the relationship and to prevent further power being transferred, such as blocking the Lisbon treaty. If UKIP do stand in the next general election it will backfire and as a result I reckon we will see some kind of deal being done between the Tories and UKIP. Though in the long term a federal EU is going to happen, but even the most pro EU countries don't want to go there at the moment.

I found the interview with the "YouTube" Tory MEP very interesting (can't remember his name, but his latest Dr Seuss rant was excellent). He made a good point about there needing to be a fundamental change in the democratic structure and processes within the UK, from a local council level, through regional and national level and ending with EU level. Things are a mess at the moment and need to be sorted out.

I try to keep up with politics but I haven't got a clue who my local councillors are, let alone exactly what it is that they do. They don't have a high enough profile, should be full time positions and should have a lot more power and responsibilities than they do at present.

I know my MP and what she does but there are major problems at national level government, primarily the ridiculous position they have managed to get in with devolved power. We need an English parliament to go with the Welsh, Scottish and Northern Ireland assemblies and then a UK parliament on top of that. For me this is the biggest issue and the one that needs addressing first.

I don't know who my MEP's are and again, haven't got a clue what it is that they do. My biggest issue is that whilst I agree with proportional representation to a degree they have gone too far, as you can only vote for a party and not an individual. Some form of mixture is needed, directly elected individuals supported by national top ups.

Its funny that whilst we are so proud of democracy in the EU, its getting very close to totally imploding on itself. Having it happen in the middle of the worst recession in living history is not good, we have a PM who has lost the plot and control, backed by MP's who are only worried about saving their jobs, with an opposition that is split widely between different parties and groups. Worrying times ahead.
spacey

« Reply #216 on: Monday, June 8, 2009, 11:48:58 »

I would complain.

I couldn't find a Google complaints department, If I could I would.
herthab
TEF Travel

Ignore
« Reply #217 on: Monday, June 8, 2009, 12:02:06 »

I couldn't find a Google complaints department, If I could I would.

Ask Jeeves

It's All Good..............
Simon Pieman
Original Wanker

« Reply #218 on: Monday, June 8, 2009, 12:11:07 »

If google 9 handed midget you could get a image. Dont mean its real ;-)

Have you heard about the latest EU directive to ban them? They'll have to chop off some fingers to comply which will cost the health service approximately £6.25 a day. It's an outrage!
Spy

Ignore
« Reply #219 on: Monday, June 8, 2009, 12:21:14 »

Surely its best for decisions to be made on as local a level as possible? Whats the point of transferring power overseas? Oh lets let some people from other countries make decisions that affect us here. That'll be great won't it? Wheres the logic?
Phil_S

Who changed my Avatar ?!

Ignore
« Reply #220 on: Monday, June 8, 2009, 12:22:30 »

I just can't see withdrawal from the EU as happening, ever. There is the possibility to re-negotiate the relationship and to prevent further power being transferred, such as blocking the Lisbon treaty. If UKIP do stand in the next general election it will backfire and as a result I reckon we will see some kind of deal being done between the Tories and UKIP. Though in the long term a federal EU is going to happen, but even the most pro EU countries don't want to go there at the moment.

I found the interview with the "YouTube" Tory MEP very interesting (can't remember his name, but his latest Dr Seuss rant was excellent). He made a good point about there needing to be a fundamental change in the democratic structure and processes within the UK, from a local council level, through regional and national level and ending with EU level. Things are a mess at the moment and need to be sorted out.

I try to keep up with politics but I haven't got a clue who my local councillors are, let alone exactly what it is that they do. They don't have a high enough profile, should be full time positions and should have a lot more power and responsibilities than they do at present.

I know my MP and what she does but there are major problems at national level government, primarily the ridiculous position they have managed to get in with devolved power. We need an English parliament to go with the Welsh, Scottish and Northern Ireland assemblies and then a UK parliament on top of that. For me this is the biggest issue and the one that needs addressing first.

I don't know who my MEP's are and again, haven't got a clue what it is that they do. My biggest issue is that whilst I agree with proportional representation to a degree they have gone too far, as you can only vote for a party and not an individual. Some form of mixture is needed, directly elected individuals supported by national top ups.

Its funny that whilst we are so proud of democracy in the EU, its getting very close to totally imploding on itself. Having it happen in the middle of the worst recession in living history is not good, we have a PM who has lost the plot and control, backed by MP's who are only worried about saving their jobs, with an opposition that is split widely between different parties and groups. Worrying times ahead.
Some very good points there, particularly about the PR. In the main even with big changes in the share of vote the same MEP's were relected. PR the way it was done makes it very difficult to know who represents you. Even more concerning if & when a expenses scandal occurs unlike at Westminster the electorate can't oust an individual only a party.

From the Dark Side
Simon Pieman
Original Wanker

« Reply #221 on: Monday, June 8, 2009, 12:25:46 »

It's so that if you go from one country to the next you should be able to expect the same level of standards and rights. Why is that such a bad thing? Also, the UK does not take up all of these laws anyway.

I am by no means pro-EU, I do recognise that there are tangible monetary savings to be made but these are often exaggerated. Do you think the EU is going to trade goods which don't meet EU regulations if we leave? The costs will still be incurred. I also get pissed off with the Daily Mail attitude some people have, oh no they're going to take away my right to remove my clothing, deficate in an alleyway, then walk home in my underwear. Fuck them all!
spacey

« Reply #222 on: Monday, June 8, 2009, 12:26:28 »

Ask Jeeves

I found a feedback thing

I was conducting some important research into 9 handed midgets. When I searched this I was presented with the question 'Did you mean 9 headed midgets?' Considering the lack of 9 handed midgets available, I thought this would be an interesting diversion. However when I accepted your kind offer, There were still no images available to me. I find this very misleading. I feel that some multi-headed midgets should be available to view as soon as possible.

Many thanks
David M Russell
jonny72

Ignore
« Reply #223 on: Monday, June 8, 2009, 12:34:17 »

Surely its best for decisions to be made on as local a level as possible? Whats the point of transferring power overseas? Oh lets let some people from other countries make decisions that affect us here. That'll be great won't it? Wheres the logic?

I agree but you can't transfer (or have) all decision making at a local or even national level. I don't think I've heard anyone against a single EU market / trade zone, this has to be legislated and regulated at an EU level or it just won't work. Plenty of other areas this applies to such as immigration (to the EU zone). There is also a place for levels above the EU, such as NATO and the UN.

Whilst I'm pro a federal EU, they have gone too far too quickly especially with the Lisbon treaty - which has been shot down all across the EU (though it looks like it will go through soon). The pro EU politicians really need to take a step back and let things calm down a bit and to allow the recently joined member states to be fully integrated - which will take a good few years.
Spy

Ignore
« Reply #224 on: Monday, June 8, 2009, 12:37:33 »

It's so that if you go from one country to the next you should be able to expect the same level of standards and rights. Why is that such a bad thing?  

But people who live in different places want to do things differently. Why do we need to have the same law all over Europe? Can't people cope with the fact people live differently in different places? Why does everything have to be all uniform?
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 ... 24   Go Up
Print
Jump to: