Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 ... 15   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: The County Ground - Old Photos  (Read 241148 times)
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #120 on: Saturday, September 21, 2013, 17:22:50 »

Question - if you zoom in on this photo you can see a massive house, left hand corner to the right of croft hill. Does anyone know what this is ? I don't think it is still there. Anyone know anything ?

That was The Croft, home of the Morse family. There used to be a sizeable department store in Regent Street called Morse's, I always suspected it was theirs, though never confirmed it.

The Croft was demolished in the 50's and Hesketh Crescent built...
Bewster

We fucking love you Gumbo!

Ignore
« Reply #121 on: Saturday, September 21, 2013, 17:27:04 »

I was showing my dad the pics and he didnt know - which is hugely surprising as he know a hell of a lot.

He remembers Morses shop as he was a decendant of the Keoghs who had the Keogh Bros shop in Bridge St.
leefer

Ignore
« Reply #122 on: Sunday, September 22, 2013, 11:47:27 »

I lived just round the corner from the hide/skin place - used to stink on hot days.

Was that Coopers?...remember kids at school holding there noses and shouting...COOPERS!
Mother Brown

Ignore
« Reply #123 on: Sunday, September 22, 2013, 18:49:08 »

Was that Coopers?...remember kids at school holding there noses and shouting...COOPERS!
No mate. Coopers farm services were on Marshgate ,along from Thos Borthwicks slaughterhouse. I used to be a tyre fitter for Nts, who"s yard was next door in the late 70s. Great fun when the offal shovel had a puncture  No
« Last Edit: Sunday, September 22, 2013, 18:52:39 by Mother Brown » Logged
Bewster

Ignore
« Reply #124 on: Sunday, September 22, 2013, 19:00:53 »

don't think so - this was half way up Drove hill - not sure what is was called. It was opposite Colletts
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #125 on: Sunday, September 22, 2013, 19:12:00 »

don't think so - this was half way up Drove hill - not sure what is was called. It was opposite Colletts

That place, I think was an abbatoir, Old Town was quite connected to the countryside in many ways up until at least the 60's, with the cattle market, and Vale of White Horse Hunt meeting in the Square.

I recall going there as a junior school kid with my teacher on the way back from a chess match at Lawn...he had to collect some cow's eyes we were going to dissect.  In later years it was daubed with grafitti by angry veggies.
Bewster

Ignore
« Reply #126 on: Sunday, September 22, 2013, 19:13:50 »

and they turned it into a house early mid 90s. I bet it stinks
OrangeTransits

Ignore
« Reply #127 on: Thursday, July 24, 2014, 23:06:14 »

Ah yes, The Drove Road Smelly House. Seem to remember that was where we used to "Pick up the "Orange Transits"" form an outfit called Z-Hire. For travelling to away games back in the Late 70's early 80's. I once had a Job Placement at RMCS in Shrivenham and was totally skint so had no fare for bus back to Swindon. 17-18 years old and knowing nothing of hitch-hiking decided I better get walking with me thumb out and someone might get me back to Swindon. About 2 miles into me walk a Lorry pulled up in a lay-by in front of me and asked me where I needed to get to. I say Old Town and the 2 Blokes reply with something along the lines of go on son "Hop in". Brilliant i thought till I got in the Cab. The Stink was stomach Curdling. Spent the next 30 minutes dry heaving on the way back to Swindon. The truck turned out to be on the way back to that Drove Slaughter House Fully laden with the most unthinkable horrors all piled on top of each other. The most memorable of the Items was a horses head. Over the years I have somehow managed to convince myself for some Reason that it was Shergars head. I ain't sure why as I knew nothing about Shergar at the time. I was born 1965 and 17-18 about the time of the lift which coincidentally was 1983 when Shergar Disappeared. I knew nothing of horse racing at the time either but there was definitely some chat between the drivers of the racing that day and something they had been told about a winner the next day. Given the proximity as well of Lambourn to the area I was picked up over the years I have put 2&2 together and come up with 5 I'm sure. But you just never know I guess........

You'll never take the Townend !!!!!!
suttonred

Ignore
« Reply #128 on: Thursday, July 24, 2014, 23:10:57 »

Bet you 50p leefer knows the truth Wink
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #129 on: Friday, July 25, 2014, 00:00:25 »

Bet you 50p leefer knows the truth Wink

I miss Leefer. I know he had a trip out to the US...hope he's OK.

Shergar's Head...would make a good user name.
OrangeTransits

Ignore
« Reply #130 on: Friday, July 25, 2014, 00:19:59 »

I have a vague recollection growing up in old town of a terrible smell occasionally when the wind was in the wrong direction and was always told it was the glue factory on Shrivenham Road. Close to the old Thorn EMI / TV rentals office where my mother worked. Not sure if it was called Coopers or not. I guess if we only smelt it occasionally in old Town because the wind in the wrong direction. The poor people of Stratton must have got the worst of it on a daily basis.

You'll never take the Townend !!!!!!
Levi lapper

« Reply #131 on: Saturday, September 13, 2014, 16:25:32 »

That was The Croft, home of the Morse family. There used to be a sizeable department store in Regent Street called Morse's, I always suspected it was theirs, though never confirmed it.

The Croft was demolished in the 50's and Hesketh Crescent built...
[/quote

Levi lapper morse was the man
@mwooly63

Ignore
« Reply #132 on: Sunday, December 16, 2018, 19:59:16 »

Resurrection of the dead

Not photos but a video
1950 military tattoo at the CG

Click to play
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #133 on: Sunday, December 16, 2018, 21:48:23 »

Some old videos. Apologies if already been put up

pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #134 on: Sunday, December 16, 2018, 22:39:06 »

Some old videos. Apologies if already been put up

Same old results too: "Swindon looking for their first home win in 3 months....". Seriously though, not seen the Fleming one before, thanks that was a great watch
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 ... 15   Go Up
Print
Jump to: