Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Season Post Mortem  (Read 6885 times)
Simon Pieman
Original Wanker

« Reply #30 on: Sunday, May 3, 2009, 18:17:32 »

Positives - Finally some progress on the pitch, improved away performances and we seem to be harder to beat now.

Negatives - Malpas' management got even worse, Histon away was the lowest point.
Rich Pullen

« Reply #31 on: Sunday, May 3, 2009, 18:20:52 »

You know you've had an utterly mediocre season when losing to Histon is only mentioned within a series of lows. Histon is the one that should really stick out - we got away with that one because mighty Leeds lost there too.

At this moment my optimism was better last year. Could easily change by the time August arrives.

It really does depend on the comings and goings and we'll have an idea on how radical the changes will be when we discover how many of the 17 out-of-contract players - which will probably be within the next week or two. Plus how we potentially replace the others linked with moves away (Cox, McGovern and Aljofree)
« Last Edit: Sunday, May 3, 2009, 18:23:00 by Rich Pullen » Logged
Iffy's Onion Bhaji
petulant

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: Sunday, May 3, 2009, 18:56:09 »

Let's see what the summer brings first. We got a bit excited last pre-season when we actually looked quite good and had Fitton and Co in charge for their first full season and look what happened. With Wilson though and also possibly some money to spend from the Cox sale now we don't have to pay Bill Power off it could be a very interesting team next time out.
suttonred

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: Sunday, May 3, 2009, 19:34:53 »

Think everyone was optimistic last close season, because we finished strongly, and we knew if the right players came up AF would shell out, unfortunately they didn't and we ended up with not much really. This should be different as we have lots that will be leaving and either way we should have a few quid to spend, and a manager who knows the players and the leagues, and has a good rep, really cant see us bothering the bottom next season. (famous last words!)
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: Sunday, May 3, 2009, 19:48:57 »

Think everyone was optimistic last close season, because we finished strongly, and we knew if the right players came up AF would shell out, unfortunately they didn't and we ended up with not much really. This should be different as we have lots that will be leaving and either way we should have a few quid to spend, and a manager who knows the players and the leagues, and has a good rep, really cant see us bothering the bottom next season. (famous last words!)

Playing Devil's Advocate here, but last season we finished quite strongly,  had a decent looking pre season, most felt that the squad looked semi decent with a couple of stars in Macca and Cox, and we had no loan players and only a couple to bed in.

We started well beating Tranny, who very nearly got to the PO's.

The coming season we'll be losing Cox, which is more or less half our goals...even with Greer, we've tended to ship silly goals still, something done all through the season.

I just feel it will take a while to build up a winning mentality at the club...despite being able to ship out a few we've still a goodly number contracted next season who aren't good enough for a promotion push.
swindonbob

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: Sunday, May 3, 2009, 20:01:01 »

Im glad there won't be all the playoff hype there was last season (admittedly i got caught up in it as well).

aptain Cabinet, trapped in a cabinet, can he get out? will he get out? course he can.

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: Sunday, May 3, 2009, 20:59:12 »

for me this season has been a complete let down and a year wasted.the appointment of malpas was a piss poor one for starters.add to that the large number of people who took up the season ticket option,who were soon regretting their purchase.they were badly let down.
i honestly think we are worse off now than at this time last year.we will lose our prize asset in cox, who without this season we would have been relegated.
the poor form of previous better players has also been a major minus.most notably easton and the dire ifil.aljofree is a poor skipper,and our keepers have struggled.

wilson i think is a half decent manager but will need considerable funds to get us anywhere near the playoffs.we will also be down on season ticket holders, so form will be key to get people to turn up on the day.
Simon Pieman
Original Wanker

« Reply #37 on: Sunday, May 3, 2009, 21:01:49 »

I'd be happy with a season of consolidation which is my expectation. Eventual promotion can be achieved but I don't think it's realistic to expect a promotion push after such a crap season

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: Sunday, May 3, 2009, 21:08:48 »

neither do i, which is why i feel this season is a wasted one.we should be looking for promotion but it doesn't look like will will.
ronnie21

The Mighty Hankerton

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: Sunday, May 3, 2009, 21:10:38 »

I'd be happy with a season of consolidation which is my expectation. Eventual promotion can be achieved but I don't think it's realistic to expect a promotion push after such a crap season
Good shout Si, I actually bought a season ticket for the first time in eight seasons for 08-09.  This was down to Bushey - and that prat never shelled out for the second half of his!  I had previously refused to pay out money to the robbing greek bastard but was full of optimism which quite frankly was never fulfilled.  I really see this as a season wasted by myself, many others and AF and co.  Oh, and that fucking pa system in the DRS is still as bad now as it was at the start of the season!
chalkies_shorts

« Reply #40 on: Sunday, May 3, 2009, 21:15:17 »

My expectations for next season are the same as ofr this one. Mid table mediocrity, blood a coupleof youngsters, decent cup run. We're a year behind schedule.
yeo

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: Sunday, May 3, 2009, 21:31:12 »

My expectations for next season are the same as ofr this one. Mid table mediocrity, blood a coupleof youngsters, decent cup run. We're a year behind schedule.

Really?

How boring,if thats all there is to look forward to I wont be back next season either.

/
W56196272
jonny72

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: Sunday, May 3, 2009, 21:51:26 »

The big question is whether Wilson is capable of turning the team round properly next season. He didn't have the immediate new manager effect which culminated in us leaving it pretty late to escape relegation and about his only saving grace was bringing in a few decent players on loan that made a major difference on the pitch.

This season was a wash out due to a shit manager not being sacked and replaced quickly enough.
axs
naaarrrrrppppp

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: Sunday, May 3, 2009, 22:24:56 »

I don't have a clue how next season is going to go but I think and hope our squad is going to look considerably different.

This is Wilson's opportunity to show he is the man for the job, if he can't produce the goods after a preseason with his own squad then we aren't going anywhere soon.

I don't expect big money to be spent but I expect our wage bill to be taken up with players that can play at this level and higher, rather than wasted on the likes of Casal.
suttonred

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: Sunday, May 3, 2009, 23:31:42 »

It wasn't a brilliant season , but the main thing was it was football and not behind the scenes that took centre stage, i  got the bug back this year and had my highest season total of games since 1992. Hopefully now we are stable a few others will get back into going, which will help the on the day sales, god knows i know enough of them.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up
Print
Jump to: