Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Can Gartside destroy our football heritage?  (Read 3061 times)
gosport rob

« on: Tuesday, April 28, 2009, 13:36:40 »

I know that the rumour of "Premier League 2" is paper talk at present but I have not seen any massive outrage at the supposed proposals. I thought that the desire to destroy our football heritage for money, money, money would have been the subject of much more anger.

The whole point of a league system is that clubls like AFC Wimbledon can aspire to reclaim their right to a league place, after it was stolen by the plastic scum, by winning lower league titles and being promoted. If entry to the proposed two tier Premier league is by invitation only and based on "big club" criteria what happens to the debt ridden smaller clubs who cannot meet these requirements and will therefore go out of business?

I am so disgusted by this "Big Club Bolton" (Ha Ha) situation that it makes me want to take up watching another sport, however once STFC always STFC so I have a big problem!!!
Sippo
Living in the 80s

I ain't gettin on no plane fool

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday, April 28, 2009, 13:41:22 »

http://thetownend.com/index.php/topic,33958.0.html

If my calculations are correct, when this baby hits 88 miles per hour, you're gonna see some serious shit...
gosport rob

« Reply #2 on: Tuesday, April 28, 2009, 13:49:23 »

Thanks Sippo,

Reaction still seems a bit muted though.
juddie

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday, April 28, 2009, 13:51:27 »

because it's not going to happen.
fatbury

« Reply #4 on: Tuesday, April 28, 2009, 13:57:58 »

I agree with the idea of a PL2 .. with Celtic and Rangers being brought into it .. but only as part of the current pyramid structure ... perhaps certain ground restrictions and budget restrictions could be enforced ...
Bennett
No Comment

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday, April 28, 2009, 14:15:33 »

I agree with the idea of a PL2 .. with Celtic and Rangers being brought into it .. but only as part of the current pyramid structure ... perhaps certain ground restrictions and budget restrictions could be enforced ...

wrong thread fatters

This is the water.
And this is the well.
Drink full and descend.
The horse is the white of the eyes and dark within.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday, April 28, 2009, 14:31:36 »

If Celtic and Rangers want in they can start at the closest English equivelant of the Bristol Downs league and work up, just like every other fuck has had to.
Dazzza

« Reply #7 on: Tuesday, April 28, 2009, 15:27:39 »

Bolton may not have their benefactor much longer so all of the PL2 chirping was an exercise in nest feathering and preparing for the inevitable for Bolton.  One-up and one-down is out of the 2nd tier of football is ridiculous even by pie in the sky standards.

Not going to happen though as others have mentioned.

Summerof69

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday, April 28, 2009, 15:33:45 »

If Celtic and Rangers want in they can start at the closest English equivelant of the Bristol Downs league and work up, just like every other fuck has had to.

Fully agree to that.

BAZINGA !!

Join the Red Army Fund and donate at www.redarmyfund.co.uk

Join the Football Supporters Federation for FREE at www.fsf.org.uk/join.php
michael
The Dude Abides

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday, April 28, 2009, 16:14:58 »

If I see Phil Gartside driving his car then I will ram him off the road.

Is that outrage enough?
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Things can only get better

« Reply #10 on: Tuesday, April 28, 2009, 16:14:59 »

Fucking agree totally. Make them do what Wimbledon, Aldershot...and maybe Southampton yet have/had to do.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Spencer_White

« Reply #11 on: Tuesday, April 28, 2009, 17:58:58 »

One of the things that makes the Premier League different from other European Leagues is the number of clubs who have made it to the top flight.

A Premier League 2 would mean that the top sides would play the same teams over and over again. The top half of the PL is already pretty stale, so I dont know why they would want to make the bottom half stale as well?

To be honest, the Championship and their re-branding has already been an excersize in distancing themselves from the likes of us. Provided there are still 3 promotion and relegation places into the Football League then I dont think it makes that much difference. But I dont think the top half Premier League teams will go with it anyway.
Rich Pullen

« Reply #12 on: Tuesday, April 28, 2009, 18:18:29 »

Why is the world so desperate to have the Glasgow clubs in English football?

Gartside doesn't care about anything below the Premiership - but what he fails to accept is that Bolton are a club that could get easily get relegated sooner rather than later.

I'm sure people feared that the original Premiership would signal the demise of lower league football, some would argue that it has... The Deuxième League is most unwelcome and perhaps more importantly, it's genuinely not needed!
Spencer_White

« Reply #13 on: Tuesday, April 28, 2009, 18:29:16 »

Why is the world so desperate to have the Glasgow clubs in English football?

This is the most absurd part of the plan. After the UEFA cup final I dont think the Old Firm are wanted anyway?

Ive always liked the idea of making the League Cup a British cup. But apart from that, I dont see how any of it makes sense.

To be fair Gartside is perfectly aware they that are a likely next Leeds/Charlton/Norwich/Southampton. Thats where all this is comming from. But look at what a great league weve got next year. Its great to see these teams outside their comfort zones.
chalkies_shorts

« Reply #14 on: Tuesday, April 28, 2009, 19:24:29 »

Fucking agree totally. Make them do what Wimbledon, Aldershot...and maybe Southampton yet have/had to do.
Agreed. Alternatively it would be good to see them getting their arses thrashed by the likes of Stoke week in, week out and get relegated.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Print
Jump to: