Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Going out in Reading  (Read 1721 times)
swindonbob

Ignore
« on: Friday, April 24, 2009, 06:05:50 »

Has anyone been before? Where are the best places to go....and the best place to end the night?

Just looking for a bunch of decent pubs or clubs in the town centre to go out tommorow night which arn't your usual Yates, Walkabout etc.

aptain Cabinet, trapped in a cabinet, can he get out? will he get out? course he can.
Sippo
Living in the 80s

I ain't gettin on no plane fool

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: Friday, April 24, 2009, 07:03:35 »

Be very disappointed then. Its just like Swindon Centre.

If my calculations are correct, when this baby hits 88 miles per hour, you're gonna see some serious shit...
mexico red

Demasiado no es demasiado

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: Friday, April 24, 2009, 07:43:01 »

about 20 years ago the majestic used to be good, fuck knows if it still exists.
suttonred

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: Friday, April 24, 2009, 08:02:06 »

Depends what you want, I always like going to the Turks Head, but thats a bit off the beaten track. Give me a clue and i'll see if i can advise.  Ps ha ha the majestic!!
Maidenhead Red

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: Friday, April 24, 2009, 08:16:49 »

Mango is pretty good if you're in to house/dance style music. Avoid reflex at all costs, that place is feckin woeful.
Apart from that it's pretty much like any other town/city centre.

Follow me on Twitter @Ian_Green83
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: Friday, April 24, 2009, 08:21:32 »

Be very disappointed then. Its just like Swindon Centre.

Have to disagree with that.  The centre of Reading is (regretably) streets ahead of Swindon.  Plenty of decent pubs.  You could do worse than take a look here...

http://www.readingpubs.co.uk/pubs/full.asp
suttonred

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: Friday, April 24, 2009, 08:26:04 »

I agree with Ardiles, Reading is a decent night out, just depends what you want, as it caters for all tastes, although my knowledge is mainly dingy backstreet pubs and clubs!
Ben Wah Balls

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: Friday, April 24, 2009, 08:34:35 »

I thought the purple turtle was pretty good.
suttonred

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: Friday, April 24, 2009, 08:39:49 »

Yes i've always liked the Turtle, did you ever go to the old version before it moved into the centre? That was the grottiest pub ever, but it was superb.
juddie

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: Friday, April 24, 2009, 09:04:24 »

Reading, like all places has good and bad.

Depends what you're into, but a couple of recommendations:

Opposite the train station is a bar called the okeford social club. They usually have guests DJs, people like zero 7 and stuff, and I've always found the music to be pretty good. And they sell Fruli, that starwberry lager that gets you hammered.

You could go to the oracle, the new shopping centre with bars bit. Not a great deal going on, but a good starting place cos you can soak up the sun. Bar 38, that kind of thing.

From there, there's a cool bar called zero degrees. Brews it's own lager, nice inside - gastropub type shenangians – and always busy. Up the road is Sahara, bit smaller, but really nice inside.

For lateness, you can go to purple turtle – very grungy, but open til late –, the fez club – which has hed kandi nights – or Mango. Someone suggested Mango earlier, and it's the best club in reading by far, if you like your dance music.

Alternatively you could go to the suagr lounge, pay some fits birds £20 for a private dance and look at wangers all night.
swindonbob

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: Friday, April 24, 2009, 09:51:10 »

Cheers for your help...some good suggestions there. We were planning a visit to the Microbrewery whatever!

To be honest it will probably be a start of "old-man" pubs and then on to some of the "clunge" areas before ending up in a decent club. But the suggestions on this thread have given me some help, so cheers everyone.

aptain Cabinet, trapped in a cabinet, can he get out? will he get out? course he can.
juddie

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: Friday, April 24, 2009, 10:18:09 »

If you can find it, check out the AfroBar. Best bar in Reading, but small and tough to find, so tough few have even heard of it! Find Nandos and you'll find the Afrobar. Awesome music, and it's like someone's living room.
swindonbob

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: Friday, April 24, 2009, 15:47:41 »

I know the nandos in Reading thats next to the river, and near the cinema...is that the one?

Simon Pieman
Original Wanker

« Reply #13 on: Friday, April 24, 2009, 18:22:03 »

I think it's very similar to Swindon, but I haven't gone clubbing there so to speak, just the bars in the town centre.
Spencer_White

« Reply #14 on: Sunday, April 26, 2009, 10:51:18 »

We used to go in a club called RG1's.

The carpet was so sticky your feet almost pulled it up.

It was an old cinema. They demolished it about 7 years ago.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Print
Jump to: