Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 6   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Reasons Not To Leave The County Ground Site  (Read 10157 times)
STFC_Gazza

« on: Wednesday, March 11, 2009, 08:22:22 »

After going to Colchester last night here are a few reasons why we should stay at the current county ground site...

- Out in the middle of nowhere.
- No sign posts to find the ground, we had to follow a shuttle bus
- You follow the shuttle bus, drive all the way to the stadium and then get told by a steward you need to turn around drive all the way around to the other side to park
- Car Park was like a lake
- No pub anywhere near by
- Took ages to get out of the car park
- They dont sell tickets on the gate so you need to queue up at the ticket office with the home fans.

This ground shows us why we should never get a ground out in the middle of nowhere. The ground was nice but the organisation was shocking.
Luci

Fatbury's Stalker

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday, March 11, 2009, 08:41:06 »

Our stadium isn't that bad for a league two side to be honest. Wink
STFC_Gazza

« Reply #2 on: Wednesday, March 11, 2009, 08:44:40 »

Our stadium isn't that bad for a league two side to be honest. Wink

But we will be in League One next season Wink
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday, March 11, 2009, 08:47:21 »

I fully agree with you.  But this being Swindon, the football ground will eventually end up on the very outskirts of town and only accessible by car....along with the university, the cinemas and most of the shops.  Leaving the town centre as a rotten core.

I'm not feeling very cheery this morning.
Sippo
Living in the 80s

I ain't gettin on no plane fool

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday, March 11, 2009, 08:49:40 »

Its a new stadium Gaz so will take a bit of time to 'settle in'. Readings stadium was the same. That was a nightmare when it first opened- the same as swansea's. If we want a brand new stadia it will have to be out of town.

Did they serve alcohol inside the ground?

If my calculations are correct, when this baby hits 88 miles per hour, you're gonna see some serious shit...
STFC_Gazza

« Reply #5 on: Wednesday, March 11, 2009, 08:52:04 »

Its a new stadium Gaz so will take a bit of time to 'settle in'. Readings stadium was the same. That was a nightmare when it first opened- the same as swansea's. If we want a brand new stadia it will have to be out of town.

It may be a new stadium, granted, however that doesn't jusify the lack of signs, the car park is not paved and is like a lake, I suppose a pub will be built near by eventually. There are 2 gates into the ground both could have been opened to allow the flow of traffic out.

They did sell beer. Think Carlsberg, Green King IPA and another one...£3.10 for the pleasure
THE FLASH

Quick as a Flash!

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday, March 11, 2009, 08:55:56 »

Why do these grounds have these fucking ticket in the slot turnstiles?

Fans have to buy a ticket at a ticket office then two stewards have to check im putting it in right!

Just stick the old boy in the booth to take the money!

Clems Army!
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday, March 11, 2009, 09:01:16 »

Reading's ground is still soulless shit.
I think we only want one stadium, not several stadia
Why does it have to be out of town? The Trust demonstrated years ago that a redeveloped CG is perfectly viable
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday, March 11, 2009, 09:02:12 »

I'm not sure I do want a brand new stadium, to be honest.  The County Ground is in a perfect location, and we would be insane ever to give it up.  It's near the centre of town, near the train station and within walking distance of many pubs.  It's not a priority right now but, when the time comes, spruce the existing ground up.  We would need a new Town End (probably with a second tier), do something with the Stratton Bank (houses permitting) and fill in the corners.  That would comfortably bring the ground up to scratch and give a capacity of 20,000+ (which, let's face it, we won't be needing any time soon).

The club belongs in the town, not in a field.
Luci

Fatbury's Stalker

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday, March 11, 2009, 09:02:43 »

Why do these grounds have these fucking ticket in the slot turnstiles?

Fans have to buy a ticket at a ticket office then two stewards have to check im putting it in right!

Just stick the old boy in the booth to take the money!

I agree with you on that.  Pretty pathetic really - its hardly rocket science to put the barcode under the little laser thing but then I guess if they don't police it you'll get people trying to sneak two in at a time with one ticket.

Seems like a waste of money when you pay for the expensive technology and then two stocky stewards in high vis jackets watching it anyway.
Sippo
Living in the 80s

I ain't gettin on no plane fool

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday, March 11, 2009, 09:06:03 »

Reading's ground is still soulless shit.
I think we only want one stadium, not several stadia
Why does it have to be out of town? The Trust demonstrated years ago that a redeveloped CG is perfectly viable

I'm not saying we need a new stadium (in that I mean a brand new gaff), but if we were going to go down that route I think out of town is the only option.

If my calculations are correct, when this baby hits 88 miles per hour, you're gonna see some serious shit...
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday, March 11, 2009, 09:07:04 »

But the scanners do allow quick and accurate counting (for accounting purposes) and added  flexibility in that presumably you could do what Samdy (i think!) suggested and run 'buy 10 games unallocated seating' schemes and the like.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday, March 11, 2009, 09:34:58 »

I'm not saying we need a new stadium (in that I mean a brand new gaff), but if we were going to go down that route I think out of town is the only option.
Oh, OK, I see. For a new build, yes, you're probably right. But I think we could achieve all we would get from a new build and more from redeveloping the CG properly
Jamiesfuturewife
Cats is nature

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday, March 11, 2009, 10:04:22 »

our car park is like a lake too!! ask my Uggs!
THE FLASH

Quick as a Flash!

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday, March 11, 2009, 10:07:03 »

our car park is like a lake too!! ask my Uggs!

This was something else JFW........You would of needed Ugg Waders!

Clems Army!
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 6   Go Up
Print
Jump to: