Pages: 1 ... 26 27 28 [29] 30 31 32 33   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: snow  (Read 44729 times)
Simon Pieman
Original Wanker

« Reply #420 on: Saturday, February 7, 2009, 12:03:54 »

Guess that's what happens in the interbred parts of the world.
Miss Angry

Ignore
« Reply #421 on: Saturday, February 7, 2009, 12:07:30 »

I know! I think i was lucky to get out when i did and have all my fingers n toes!
Miss Angry

Ignore
« Reply #422 on: Saturday, February 7, 2009, 12:08:17 »

having said that im not sure if growing up in toothill was "lucky" either! Cheesy
Simon Pieman
Original Wanker

« Reply #423 on: Saturday, February 7, 2009, 12:09:18 »

Smiley
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #424 on: Saturday, February 7, 2009, 12:29:55 »

Where was the station reg? that might be a silly question that i could answer myself by guessing it was on Station road?

This pic gives a better view of the surrounds...there's a big grassy space there now, opposite the pub The Elm Tree.

[url width=400 height=255]http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y154/Reg__Smeeton/chis2.jpg[/url]

Think Station Road was so called as it led along to the station...
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #425 on: Saturday, February 7, 2009, 12:31:19 »

being as my parents split up when i was a baby these village people seem to know more about then than i do!
[url width=350 height=296]http://www.daytondailynews.com/shared-gen/blogs/dayton/education/media/villagepeople.jpg[/url]
Jamiesfuturewife
Cats is nature

Ignore
« Reply #426 on: Saturday, February 7, 2009, 15:53:00 »

If anyone needs daily contact lenses prescription -0.75 I have quite a few pairs (estimate 20-30, maybe more) left from when my prescription changed.

rahh Im -3 - managed to get to Nam today - they have no daily desposibles in stock so have to have stupid ones you have to put in a pot - If they dont actually just fall out my eyes anyway!! stupid specsavers
Simon Pieman
Original Wanker

« Reply #427 on: Saturday, February 7, 2009, 15:58:51 »

-3 huh? wow you're pretty blind.

I actually doubled my regular glasses prescription in one year though. I even considered giving up masturbation, but I doubt it would help.
Jamiesfuturewife
Cats is nature

Ignore
« Reply #428 on: Saturday, February 7, 2009, 16:00:46 »

Yes thanks I am quite blind - I also have steep eyes and have to have stupid expensive lenses as Johnson and Johnson are the only ones who make lenses in different fittings for different shape eyes
Simon Pieman
Original Wanker

« Reply #429 on: Saturday, February 7, 2009, 16:03:12 »

What are steep eyes?
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #430 on: Saturday, February 7, 2009, 16:15:35 »

having said that im not sure if growing up in toothill was "lucky" either! Cheesy

I lived in Freshbrook for a time as a kid, and the legend I heard back then was that Toothill was a reference to the fact that train drivers used to toot the whistle as they rounded the hill there on their way in to Swindon station from the Bristol direction.

That bastard Richard Beeching has a lot to answer for.  Many of the lines he axed were commercially viable, and the Swindon area was particularly hard hit by his cut backs.  To have only one station in a town of Swindon's size is quite unusual (especially when you consider that Reading - not much bigger - has about 6 with plans for more).

Where we live now in Farnborough escaped relatively unscathed.  There are three separate lines within a mile of here, none of which interchange with each other.  The fact that there is still a fully functioning line from Ascot to Aldershot indicates that Old Town to Chiseldon and beyond might well have survived if mandarins like Beeching in the 1960s had not been so in the thrall of the motor car.
THE FLASH

Quick as a Flash!

Ignore
« Reply #431 on: Saturday, February 7, 2009, 16:21:25 »

I lived in Freshbrook for a time as a kid, and the legend I heard back then was that Toothill was a reference to the fact that train drivers used to toot the whistle as they rounded the hill there on their way in to Swindon station from the Bristol direction.

That bastard Richard Beeching has a lot to answer for.  Many of the lines he axed were commercially viable, and the Swindon area was particularly hard hit by his cut backs.  To have only one station in a town of Swindon's size is quite unusual (especially when you consider that Reading - not much bigger - has about 6 with plans for more).

Where we live now in Farnborough escaped relatively unscathed.  There are three separate lines within a mile of here, none of which interchange with each other.  The fact that there is still a fully functioning line from Ascot to Aldershot indicates that Old Town to Chiseldon and beyond might well have survived if mandarins like Beeching in the 1960s had not been so in the thrall of the motor car.

How very true...

Beeching fucked up the future transport system well and truly.

Shuttle trains running back and forth through small village halts would of cut down alot on cars clogging up the roads.

Clems Army!
mexico red

Demasiado no es demasiado

Ignore
« Reply #432 on: Saturday, February 7, 2009, 16:35:52 »

Totally cut off the vale of white horse did beeching didcot-steventon-grove-challow-uffington. what a waste.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #433 on: Saturday, February 7, 2009, 16:42:44 »

Toothill is so called, because the tract of land it was built on was called Toot Hill.

Now to aficionados of the Ley Line theory of Alfred Watkins this has some significance, because he postulated that such places would have had significant mounds, which marked the ley line.

Ignore
« Reply #434 on: Saturday, February 7, 2009, 16:55:38 »

not saying you are wrong reg as i dont know for a fact,but as i grew up in toothill,ardiles explanation was the one i was told many years ago.it's deffo the reason the toot and whistle was given its name.kids from the local school came up with it for that reason.
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 28 [29] 30 31 32 33   Go Up
Print
Jump to: