Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: WBA v Man Utd 1978  (Read 2295 times)
alanmayes

Ignore
« on: Thursday, January 29, 2009, 08:00:12 »

One of the TEF posters went to watch WBA v Man Utd last tuesday,this video puts into context

just how good WBA were back in the late 70's.They had 3 black players nicknamed the 3 Degrees,

Brendan Batson,Lawrie Cunningham and Cyrille Regis.You have to also understand that at that time

black players took terrible abuse at grounds up and down the country.Their performance that day

shoved it back down the throats of any abuser.It was also a fantastic match,with wonderful goals.

Bryan Robson was playing for WBA and a certain Ron Atkinson was their manager.

Enjoy!

"It's not delusions of grandeur sir,it's intolerance of mediocrity and minimal performances."
Bedford Red

Smithers Jones

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: Thursday, January 29, 2009, 17:48:34 »

I watched that game the other week as it was on the Big Match Revisited which is on ITV 4 every Thursday, they are doing the 78-79 season this year. I also remembered it from when i was a kid, it was a really good match, Gary Bailey made an outstanding save as well.
alanmayes

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: Thursday, January 29, 2009, 18:25:54 »

I watched that game the other week as it was on the Big Match Revisited which is on ITV 4 every Thursday, they are doing the 78-79 season this year. I also remembered it from when i was a kid, it was a really good match, Gary Bailey made an outstanding save as well.

Thanks for the reminder about the Big Match Revisited,i know they repeat it several times each
week.

I've had a look back at the date of the WBA v Man Utd game and realised that on that day,i went
to see The Town play a top of the table game at Watford.First visit for me,we dominated the game,
missed chance after chance and Luther made us pay with 2 second half goals.It was ferkin freezing
and the next day,woke up to 6 inches of snow on the ground.I remember Jan 79 very well as i had
to be up early each day to do my paper round,it was a bitter january.

"It's not delusions of grandeur sir,it's intolerance of mediocrity and minimal performances."
Posh Red
Posh by name, Posh by nature

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: Thursday, January 29, 2009, 19:13:22 »

I remember a school trip to go and watch WBA in the UEFA Cup versus Valencia.

It was around that time (just after the 78 World Cup), because Mario Kempes was playing for Valencia.

All I can remember was that West Brom won (1-0 I think), and scoring a penalty
adje

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: Thursday, January 29, 2009, 20:27:02 »

Big Ron allegedly made a "joke"at the time-name 5 players who played for Albion ending in "O".The answer is a bit too racist for my keyboard!

quot;Molten memories splashing down
 upon the rooves of Swindon Town"
leefer

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: Thursday, January 29, 2009, 21:20:03 »

I went to watch Swindon play against a brilliant West Brom team play in John Trollopes testiomonial...the bad news for John is that not many others did...even in that friendly they were class.
Bedford Red

Smithers Jones

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: Saturday, January 31, 2009, 13:45:18 »

Thanks for the reminder about the Big Match Revisited,i know they repeat it several times each
week.

I've had a look back at the date of the WBA v Man Utd game and realised that on that day,i went
to see The Town play a top of the table game at Watford.First visit for me,we dominated the game,
missed chance after chance and Luther made us pay with 2 second half goals.It was ferkin freezing
and the next day,woke up to 6 inches of snow on the ground.I remember Jan 79 very well as i had
to be up early each day to do my paper round,it was a bitter january.

Although i was 11 i can't remember that winter. But there's been 5 Big Matches on this month from Jan 79, and each one has had snow on the pitches and most of the matches off so your memory is very good.
Spencer_White

« Reply #7 on: Sunday, February 1, 2009, 11:34:59 »

Booing a player just because they are black gives racism a bad name.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: