Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: tonight's game: thoughts?  (Read 6954 times)
juddie

Ignore
« on: Tuesday, January 27, 2009, 23:39:24 »

eally, really encouaged by tonight's performance. Yeah, we were made to sweat but they would never have scored a second without Ifil's fuck u for the first, and other than that he had a good game, so no need to go on about it.

Brez: Still a bit ropey IMO...

Amankwaa: better, a lot better, Strong, confident, good in the air. The whole back four looked like a unit, until their first goal.

Greer: considering he joined yesterday, he was immense. Won headers, smashed a few in the tackle, calm distrituion, talks a lot. ucking ledge. Missed a silly header and made the odd error, but for game one, consideering he must be rusty, he looks great/

Ifil: goal aisde, looked ok. One texter said he was shit, I disagree. He'd never played alongside Greer before and had to deal with a massive lump of a striker, did well til the goal.

Vincent: superb. I've slaughtered him before but tonight he bought a renewed calm to the back line. Simple and effective, good talker. Good to have you back mate, nice standing ovation for him as well.

JPM: Excellent IMO. Worked hard, busy.

Nalis: weak link for me. First half looked good but as soon as they put any pressure on he went to pieces.

Allan: good game. Good distribution, got stuck in...didn't suggest he could dominate a game tho, but early days.

Kanu: ridiculously good first half. Hungry, energetic, confident, good skills, strong as fook. Went quiet when Vincent went off.

Paynter: worked his nuts off. Got lucky with his goal, but you don;t shoot you don;t score. Worked hard and got the reward.

Cox: That goal was amazing. I can't think of a better one. Apart from that he was quiet, but who cares when he scores a goal like that?!

Subs:
Timlin: looked poor when he came on, but not helped by them getting one back. Bit harsh judging him on that performance.
Blair: didn't have much time...
McNamee: never tracked back to mark his man. This annoyed me. A lot.

DW: Tactically spot on. Good loan signings on this performance, if Greer plays like that again I'd snap him up. Kanu offers more than macca beause of his strength. Personally would have replaced Nalis towards the end, but thumbs up from me.

Good effort from the town end tonight, in places. Bit quiet all round but made an effort at certain points.
axs
naaarrrrrppppp

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday, January 27, 2009, 23:40:40 »

I wrote my thoughts in the other thread, you attention seeker.
Rich Pullen

« Reply #2 on: Tuesday, January 27, 2009, 23:41:45 »

A vital win but we need to back it up with a positive result at Oldham though.

We beat Orient away and followed it up with a dire performance against Brighton. We need to build on this win.
juddie

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday, January 27, 2009, 23:44:57 »

that other thread was fo those who weren't there AXS!

I doubt we'll beat Oldham, but it gives me hope for the games after that. We need another central midfielder though.

Sat with Fitzroy Simpson tonight! Cheesy

Didn't see JFW's black muffs. Sad
axs
naaarrrrrppppp

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday, January 27, 2009, 23:46:39 »

Why was it for those who weren't there? It's called matchday action / REACTION!

Plenty of people who went have posted in it.
leefer

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday, January 27, 2009, 23:47:14 »

Havnt looked at the match day thread..for me was a really good performance.

Brez...7
Amankwah for me man of match 9
Ifil 7
Greer...top notch 8
Vincent...8
Kanu...8
Nalis...7
JP McGovern...8
Allen...good second half...8
Paynter...7
Cox...8

I went to this game expecting the worse,i really enjoyed the game,only negatives being Ifils lapse and DW taking Vincent off too early,like Timlin but left back he aint!...like the way Wilson through Allen in...he should be proud of his performance ..battled well against bigger oppo and some quality touches on the ball.
We  played alot further forward tonight(except the last 10) and we will score for fun playing like that,alas we will concede on the break..was really pleased wth Greer and Kanu,.....Greer made some great forward runs as well....oh and nearly forgot,Coxes goal was brilliant.
reeves4england

We'll never die!

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday, January 27, 2009, 23:48:47 »

Leefer, there's plenty of threads for this sort of thing already!

Good to hear it was an enjoyable game though. I would imagine Vincent going off was purely fitness related, the guy can't be anywhere near match fit
flammableBen

« Reply #7 on: Tuesday, January 27, 2009, 23:49:48 »

I merged up because I'm clever.
juddie

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday, January 27, 2009, 23:54:38 »

in fairness, timlin has been quality at left back in recent weeks, has he not?

Can anyone think of a better goal than Cox's? I'm sure there has been one, just can;t think of it. Not fallon's, or tony grant's, or hoddle's v sunderland? Anyone think of one?
Don Rogers Shop

« Reply #9 on: Tuesday, January 27, 2009, 23:58:38 »

Thought he was poor last few games imo.
Rich Pullen

« Reply #10 on: Wednesday, January 28, 2009, 00:09:56 »

Timlin should have never been put into the situation in the first place. He started well. It's time they allowed Timlin to concentrate on playing in his (I imagine) favoured role in midfield.
Don Rogers Shop

« Reply #11 on: Wednesday, January 28, 2009, 00:14:21 »

Agree with that rich but understand why he was. Kennedy was good but just not fair on our young lads to throw them into a low confidence defence.
jeef_boner

« Reply #12 on: Wednesday, January 28, 2009, 00:15:33 »

Walsall fan in peace.

You were lucky we were shait. Cheesy

Thought we might sneak a point at the end, but that would have been undeserved after your containment efforts throughout the game.  Getting Bradley off and Davies on changed it for us, as did Wilson's unusual timing for removing Vincent, who had a decent match up till then.  Afterwards, you nearly managed to choke!

Best of luck for the season, I'm sure we'll be playing each other next season in this division.
suttonred

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday, January 28, 2009, 00:21:18 »

Only thing i disagree with on the top post is i thought cox worked his nuts off, and no whining as in recent times. One thing that struck us was the team were actually in a proper formation, which worked brilliantly until Jerel's rickett. Was also good that we had mobility in midfield, for a change, so i think Peacock and pook will be lucky to see the bench even if DW brings another midfeilder in. And also credit where due i'm not JV's biggest fan but he made a noticeable difference tonight. Not ideal letting those 2 late ones in, but that's the first time for ages i've actually left feeling entertained! Dont think we were brilliant, but certainly better than recently.
Barry Scott

« Reply #14 on: Wednesday, January 28, 2009, 00:24:27 »

I'm sure we'll be playing each other next season in this division.

I liked you until you said that. I still expect promotion.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5   Go Up
Print
Jump to: