Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Long throws  (Read 2611 times)
Colin Todd

Ignore
« on: Monday, December 22, 2008, 10:15:18 »

Delayed rant here, its much calmer that it would have been on saturday.

I'm not having a go at morrison here, because he's young and just doing what he is told.

But can we please stop hurling the ball at Peacock when he's being marked by 3 players, 2 of which are taller than him and are in the position to get a running jump on him. Just use a bit of common sense and throw it somewhere else, or at least pack the near post with players in order to create a bit of carnage like Stoke do.

Did we actually work in this in training?  because it didnt fucking look like it.  Unless "working on it" means Byrne saying "Shaun, lob it at Peaks near post. The rest of you hang aroung the far post and the edge of the area doing nothing. Keep repeating this even if it isnt working at all"
juddie

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: Monday, December 22, 2008, 10:21:29 »

You can add corners to that. How many times on saturday did we cross it with everyone, and I mean everyone, stood on the edge of the area. Get in there FFS!
Colin Todd

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: Monday, December 22, 2008, 10:26:41 »

on the subject of corners, are macca and JP being told to hit high looping balls to the far post all the time, because thats what they seem to do.  either that or hit the 1st man
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: Monday, December 22, 2008, 11:11:13 »

In the end myself and the 2 guy sat next to me were just taking guesses on which Yeovil player would get onto our long throws.

One guy at one point said Peacock and everyone laughed.

We are terrible at throw ins and corners both defending and attacking.
tans
You spin me right round baby right round

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: Monday, December 22, 2008, 11:12:28 »

on the subject of corners, are macca and JP being told to hit high looping balls to the far post all the time, because thats what they seem to do.  either that or hit the 1st man

nah there deliverys just crap! Wink
Colin Todd

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: Monday, December 22, 2008, 11:39:08 »

In the end myself and the 2 guy sat next to me were just taking guesses on which Yeovil player would get onto our long throws.

It was just moronic. We must have done it 10 times, with one of our players winning exactly nothing. Yeovil might be almost as shit as us, but they know how to defend long throws it would seem
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: Monday, December 22, 2008, 11:51:31 »

We didnt begin at the start of the game but it was roughly

Lee Peacock 1
Terry Skiverton 7
Their number 27 who name ecapes me 5
Colin Todd

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: Monday, December 22, 2008, 11:56:40 »

Peacock won one?

Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: Monday, December 22, 2008, 12:04:54 »

You can add corners to that. How many times on saturday did we cross it with everyone, and I mean everyone, stood on the edge of the area. Get in there FFS!

The tight-formation corner has been used most of the season. Looks like it's something they work on in training. Suppose everyone is meant to run at the same time and cause confusion - it works, our corner taker is well confused were to hit it.

At least we realise that having McNamee in our box when defending corners is pointless, so we are pushing him up to half way to at least occupy some defender(s)
LucienSanchez

Is this hospital called St. Croc of Shit?!

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: Monday, December 22, 2008, 12:50:39 »

It's a vicious circle though... we can't attack or defend from set pieces so in training no one is really getting any benefit...

We made a promise we swore we'd always remember... no retreat, baby, no surrender
Bennett
No Comment

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: Monday, December 22, 2008, 18:11:32 »

is he going to be our new manager?

This is the water.
And this is the well.
Drink full and descend.
The horse is the white of the eyes and dark within.
flammableBen

« Reply #11 on: Monday, December 22, 2008, 18:22:35 »

I don't claim to be an expert on the art of the long throw, but into the box wouldn't it be better if they were harder and flatter? Morrison's on Saturday seemed a bit high and loopy most the time to be easy attacking goodness.

michael
The Dude Abides

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: Monday, December 22, 2008, 18:58:56 »

I've always thought it to be a real shame that Morrison can't be on the end of his long throws
juddie

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: Monday, December 22, 2008, 19:01:25 »

it's not the throws that are the problem, it's putting one person on the front post to win them. Why not have peacock, jerel and hasney and let cox and co feed off the winnings? It's the oners that made me laugh, one went in and we had no-one in the box! they were all stood on the edge.

Saturday was soooooooooo painful.
jonny72

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: Monday, December 22, 2008, 19:11:43 »

I don't claim to be an expert on the art of the long throw, but into the box wouldn't it be better if they were harder and flatter? Morrison's on Saturday seemed a bit high and loopy most the time to be easy attacking goodness.

I'm pretty certain that is one of the reasons we don't get more goals from them - they are far too high and need to be flatter. The other reason being they should be thrown at a pack of our tallest players, rather than just random.

As for so many other things at the moment, this is just down to extremely poor tactics from the manager and you can't blame the players.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Print
Jump to: