Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 ... 10   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Music We Come Out To  (Read 19596 times)
reeves4england

We'll never die!

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: Tuesday, November 18, 2008, 19:54:50 »

Can somebody explain the whole Moonraker thing to me please? I feel like I'm missing something glaringly obvious....

(oh and I know there's a pub called that, but that's about it!)
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: Tuesday, November 18, 2008, 21:00:19 »

Some thick bastards used to try and rake the moon out of the water when it obviously wasnt the moon but its reflection or something like that.

Either that or the film Moonraker was written by someone from Swindon. We could run out to Shirley Bassey singing Moonraker!!!
grayx

« Reply #32 on: Tuesday, November 18, 2008, 21:07:49 »

Its an old tale where two smugglers had hidden a barrel in some pond and went to retrieve it at night.  Some customs officers spotted them and asked what they were doing. In their west country accents they claimed they were trying to rake the piece of cheese in the pond, obviously the reflection of the moon.

The customs officers thought they were idiots and left them to it and they managed to get their barrel back and had the last laugh.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: Tuesday, November 18, 2008, 21:09:26 »

Defo......can you remember him at wembley...quality.

That moonraker was Ray Howell pere of David.....when I started going we had a moonraker replete with a string of pork sausages round his neck to emphasis his Wiltshireness.

But that was when we had a unique club song  "To Be a Farmer's Boy" .....cattle were still walked along the roads to the Old Town market, and the VWH hunt met in The Square opposite The Bell before riding to hounds.
Arch Stanton

Wallowing in negativity

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: Wednesday, November 19, 2008, 22:59:28 »

We need to start an official petition to get rid of the 'robins' as our nickname, as its been said before on this thread, too many other naff clubs are called the robins, it really doesnt sound menacing enough........ I remember Palace fans taunting our 'robins' chant with their 'eagles' one in the playoffs 20 odd years ago.....

The Moonrakers sounds a bit more menacing even though it is embracing/celebrating an episode of total yokel stupidity from our history.

Failing that, we called always nickname ourselves 'The Drax Industries', wasnt that from the film?Huh?
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: Wednesday, November 19, 2008, 23:13:41 »

It certainly was...

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/f/f8/Sir_Hugo_Drax_by_Michael_Lonsdale.jpg
leefer

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: Wednesday, November 19, 2008, 23:17:58 »

MOONRAKERS.....in the civil war locals hid barrells of beer,whiskey etc in a large pond.....strongly believed to be in Devizes.
One night while retrieving them from the water with large rakes the kings men caught them red handed,it was a full moon and it was reflecting like a large cheeze on the water....when challenged and asked what they were doing with the rakes the answer was
I be raking the moon sir.....the kings men rode off laughing at the thick wiltshiremen!
Arch Stanton

Wallowing in negativity

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: Thursday, November 20, 2008, 08:11:09 »

Christ he looks like my Uncle Bill..... He did time when I was a kid - for unspecified reasons, its still not mentioned to this day.

(unspecified reasons for why he was in jail, not for when I was a kid - I had very clear specified reasons for being a kid, my age being one.)
A Gent Orange

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: Thursday, November 20, 2008, 09:00:34 »

I remember Palace fans taunting our 'robins' chant with their 'eagles' one in the playoffs 20 odd years ago.....

How can Palace dare to taunt us with their cry of 'Eagles' when they are really 'Glaziers'? This just like Reading's denial of being 'Biscuit Men'. It's an airbrushed revisionist history to match anything Stalin ever did. Well give or take the odd gulag.
spacey

« Reply #39 on: Thursday, November 20, 2008, 09:39:56 »

MOONRAKERS.....in the civil war locals hid barrells of beer,whiskey etc in a large pond.....strongly believed to be in Devizes.
One night while retrieving them from the water with large rakes the kings men caught them red handed,it was a full moon and it was reflecting like a large cheeze on the water....when challenged and asked what they were doing with the rakes the answer was
I be raking the moon sir.....the kings men rode off laughing at the thick wiltshiremen!

To be fair it's only a small step from hanging monkeys. I reckon we should keep it quiet.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: Thursday, November 20, 2008, 10:15:10 »

The Moonrakers sounds a bit more menacing even though it is embracing/celebrating an episode of total yokel stupidity from our history.
It's not though is it? As leefer's retelling makes clear it was using a pretence of yokel stupidity to put one over the King's men. They're the idiots in the story, not the crafty smugglers
spacey

« Reply #41 on: Thursday, November 20, 2008, 10:19:50 »

Those pesky smugglers! They certainly pulled the wool over my eyes. Having said that they were criminals and as such our sympathies should be with the King's men at what was clearly a difficult time.
Arch Stanton

Wallowing in negativity

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: Thursday, November 20, 2008, 10:21:27 »

It's not though is it? As leefer's retelling makes clear it was using a pretence of yokel stupidity to put one over the King's men. They're the idiots in the story, not the crafty smugglers

ahhhh yes.... perhaps we could be renamed 'the crafty smugglers'

whos with me? Cheesy
leefer

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: Thursday, November 20, 2008, 10:25:15 »

Good name for a pub.
janaage
People's Front of Alba

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: Thursday, November 20, 2008, 10:27:16 »

ahhhh yes.... perhaps we could be renamed 'the crafty smugglers'

whos with me? Cheesy