Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 [15] 16 17   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Judgement Day  (Read 27974 times)
herthab
TEF Travel

Ignore
« Reply #210 on: Wednesday, November 5, 2008, 17:51:16 »

Politics is no laughing matter. So, using that as criteria, I'd go for Lenny Henry.......

It's All Good..............
Don Rogers Shop

« Reply #211 on: Wednesday, November 5, 2008, 17:54:08 »

Always find it ironic that henry did those red nose days when his missus could feed ethiopia in 1 sitting
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #212 on: Wednesday, November 5, 2008, 17:56:10 »

Like it or not though rich, it is pretty major fucking news, and will have quite a big impact on how we, and the rest of the world live

Agree that it is news that should be reported...but the overkill to which ISOB refers, is just because media entourage  want to fill up time, and it's good for expenses and postings.

Unfortunately, the difference this president can make is minimal, as whoever is in charge must be motivated by the dictum, of doing first and foremost what is in the national interest.  As far as the US is concerned, it means to protect their global hegemony, by any possible legal or quasi legal means.

So don't expect any fundamental policy shift on the large issues....global warming, Islamic fundamentalism/rogue states and third world poverty.

herthab
TEF Travel

Ignore
« Reply #213 on: Wednesday, November 5, 2008, 17:56:59 »

Fattist!

It's like Obama being a member of the KKK......

It's All Good..............
Don Rogers Shop

« Reply #214 on: Wednesday, November 5, 2008, 18:00:26 »

No your the fattest. Fwiw i think and hope he will do a good job. He has to really
Ironside
Wir müssen die Liberalen ausrotten

Ignore
« Reply #215 on: Wednesday, November 5, 2008, 18:32:44 »

You called dmr a cunt i know what that is slang for:-)

Haha!

His mother was white, so therefore he's "mixed raced" Sheepshagger but then we all know you never let the facts get in the way of the hype...

Genius, Gentleman Explorer, French Cabaret Chantoose  and Small Bets Placed and someone who knows who they are changed my signature but its only know that I can be arsed to change it....and I mean all the spelling mistakes.

Was it me? It can't have been an interesting enough event for me to remember - fB.
mexico red

Demasiado no es demasiado

Ignore
« Reply #216 on: Wednesday, November 5, 2008, 18:39:47 »

I have to say I agree with ironside on the blair comparisons, When Blair came to power there was quite a feeling of euphoria in the UK, after so so long of the tories alongside all the cool britannia bollocks it was touted as  a new start for the UK.

He actually did alright to start with then the cunt let everyone down by sucking up bush's arse and invading Iraq in an illegal war
oxford_fan

Ignore
« Reply #217 on: Wednesday, November 5, 2008, 19:13:55 »

its great that he got in but fuck me the americans celebrating on the news are annoying. i hope it stops tomorrow.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #218 on: Wednesday, November 5, 2008, 19:23:13 »

Haha!

His mother was white, so therefore he's "mixed raced" Sheepshagger but then we all know you never let the facts get in the way of the hype...
In a strictly ethno-biological (I might have made that word up) sense you're right, but that's not the context in which everyone, including Obama, is describing him as the first black president. It's the social/political context of the centuries of oppression followed by decades of prejudice which black people in the US experienced. The racists who caused that oppression never distinguished between black and mixed race, so nor do those who see Obama's triumph as a vanquishing of that period. 50 years ago Obama would still have experienced legally enforced racism in large sections of the US that voted for him last night, mixed race or not. Growing up, and throughout his life, he experienced the same hostility as a black man with two black parents would have done. That's why he categorises himself as black and why in the social and political context (which is what elections are about) it is appropriate to describe him as the first black president, whatever it says on his birth certificate.
Ironside

Ignore
« Reply #219 on: Wednesday, November 5, 2008, 20:56:19 »

In a strictly ethno-biological (I might have made that word up) sense you're right, but that's not the context in which everyone, including Obama, is describing him as the first black president. It's the social/political context of the centuries of oppression followed by decades of prejudice which black people in the US experienced. The racists who caused that oppression never distinguished between black and mixed race, so nor do those who see Obama's triumph as a vanquishing of that period. 50 years ago Obama would still have experienced legally enforced racism in large sections of the US that voted for him last night, mixed race or not. Growing up, and throughout his life, he experienced the same hostility as a black man with two black parents would have done. That's why he categorises himself as black and why in the social and political context (which is what elections are about) it is appropriate to describe him as the first black president, whatever it says on his birth certificate.

FAir point well made, not that I was banging on about his race anyway (See other peoples posts)

I'm more concerned with his policies, or lack thereof.  The comparisons with Blair are rather interesting in my opinion. Blair came along promising the earth but has actually delivered nothing of any substance.

Genius, Gentleman Explorer, French Cabaret Chantoose  and Small Bets Placed and someone who knows who they are changed my signature but its only know that I can be arsed to change it....and I mean all the spelling mistakes.

Was it me? It can't have been an interesting enough event for me to remember - fB.
flammableBen

« Reply #220 on: Wednesday, November 5, 2008, 21:25:15 »

FAir point well made, not that I was banging on about his race anyway (See other peoples posts)

I'm more concerned with his policies, or lack thereof.  The comparisons with Blair are rather interesting in my opinion. Blair came along promising the earth but has actually delivered nothing of any substance.

In what way do you mean "delivered nothing of any substance"?  I'm not his biggest fan, but you can't say that the the labour government did nothing of substance under Blair.

Gave the Bank of England Independence.
Bought in a national minimum wage.
The 1998 Human Rights Act.
Ditched Hereditary peers from the House of Lords.
Set up the Welsh Assembly and Scottish Parlement
Gave London an elected mayor
Consent to gay sex lowered to 16, gays allowed in the armed forces, and civil partnerships allowed
Passed the Freedom of Information Act
Tuition fees for higher education

Those are definitely things of substance whether you agree with them or not, and it's not even touching on things like health spending reform, education, foreign policy, and the Northern Irish Peace process.

Don Rogers Shop

« Reply #221 on: Wednesday, November 5, 2008, 21:30:17 »

He touched me
flammableBen

« Reply #222 on: Wednesday, November 5, 2008, 21:37:53 »

Everyone's touched you.
Don Rogers Shop

« Reply #223 on: Wednesday, November 5, 2008, 21:40:49 »

But he touched me nicely
Ironside

Ignore
« Reply #224 on: Thursday, November 6, 2008, 08:24:15 »

In what way do you mean "delivered nothing of any substance"?  I'm not his biggest fan, but you can't say that the the labour government did nothing of substance under Blair.

Gave the Bank of England Independence. Good Move
Bought in a national minimum wage. Good Move for some - NOT everyone
The 1998 Human Rights Act. Disaster
Ditched Hereditary peers from the House of Lords. But didn't complete the reform leaving the house in limbo to a certain extent
Set up the Welsh Assembly and Scottish Parlement See the West Lothian question
Gave London an elected mayor fair enough
Consent to gay sex lowered to 16 Don't care gays allowed in the armed forces They always were as long they kept the,selves in the closet and civil partnerships allowed glad to see you didn't call them marriages
Passed the Freedom of Information Act which they are now trying reign in and introduce get out clauses to, especially where MP's expenses are concerned.
Tuition fees for higher education This is a good thing?

Those are definitely things of substance whether you agree with them or not, and it's not even touching on things like health spending much of it wasted  education which is failing foreign policy 2 illigal wars and the Northern Irish Peace process surrender to terrorists

I should have clarified: Has done nothing GOOD of any substance.  That list proves it.

Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 [15] 16 17   Go Up
Print
Jump to: