Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Georgia vs. South Ossetia & the Russians  (Read 6994 times)
Rich Pullen

« on: Friday, August 8, 2008, 17:02:09 »

Another year another conflict. This time the Russians are helping the breakaway Georgian region of South Ossetia.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/0/0f/Flag_of_Georgia.svg/125px-Flag_of_Georgia.svg.png Vs http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/1/12/Flag_of_South_Ossetia.svg/125px-Flag_of_South_Ossetia.svg.png http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/f/f3/Flag_of_Russia.svg/125px-Flag_of_Russia.svg.png

Not looking good for Georgia.
« Last Edit: Friday, August 8, 2008, 17:04:19 by Rich Pullen » Logged
wheretherealredsare
Change me

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: Friday, August 8, 2008, 17:49:41 »

Beware of misinformation. The Georgians, particularly the warmongerer Saakashvili, are the cause of a potential disaster here. They attacked South Ossetia last night, shelling the hospital and killing peace-keepers and civilians in the capital Tskhinvali and flattening villages nearby. There was a multi-national peace keeping force in place for 15 years, made up of Georgian, Russian and South Ossetian troops. The Georgian element turned on their former colleagues and supported by tanks from the main Georgian armed forces have embarked on what amounts to ethnic cleansing. Any claims by Saakashvili on CNN or other news agencies that Russia has been bombing cities and villages in Georgia are lies.

I hope this situation does not escalate, but if the UN and other international agencies continue to demonstrate their collective impotency it will fall to Russia to take action to protect its citizens and others in South Ossetia.
Rich Pullen

« Reply #2 on: Friday, August 8, 2008, 17:50:57 »

When I wrote "not looking good for" it wasn't the taking of sides - I meant that the Russians were in and therefore that will probably be that for Georgia.

There will never be peace and tranquility within the old satelite states.
« Last Edit: Friday, August 8, 2008, 17:52:30 by Rich Pullen » Logged
wheretherealredsare
Change me

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: Friday, August 8, 2008, 18:11:43 »

Only if Georgia continues its aggression. There are a lot of good people in Georgia and S'vili does not have the support of all the people by a long chalk. Russia does not want to flatten the former Soviet Republic but, contrary to popular opinion perhaps, is more interested in peace and stability in the region. I'm not an ex-Oxford Yuck graduate turned to the red perspective, but since I've been up close and personal to them I've learnt that much of our western view of Russia and its intentions are misguided.

Sorry, Comrade Rich, if I seemed to jump down your throat there ... must have become a bit Russian myself! Maybe next time I visit UK we could have a meal in a nice sushi restaurant together?   
Rich Pullen

« Reply #4 on: Friday, August 8, 2008, 18:18:46 »

Only if Georgia continues its aggression. There are a lot of good people in Georgia and S'vili does not have the support of all the people by a long chalk. Russia does not want to flatten the former Soviet Republic but, contrary to popular opinion perhaps, is more interested in peace and stability in the region. I'm not an ex-Oxford Yuck graduate turned to the red perspective, but since I've been up close and personal to them I've learnt that much of our western view of Russia and its intentions are misguided.

Sorry, Comrade Rich, if I seemed to jump down your throat there ... must have become a bit Russian myself! Maybe next time I visit UK we could have a meal in a nice sushi restaurant together?   

Deal!

My missus is a UK Communist Party pin wearing hippy! I have to stave off the revolution in my own home before I side with any former communist nations.

The history of the former Soviet Union is very interesting.
wheretherealredsare
Change me

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: Friday, August 8, 2008, 18:34:25 »

Best bring your geiger counter though. Or don't try the polonium maki-mono roll.
Rich Pullen

« Reply #6 on: Friday, August 8, 2008, 18:35:20 »

Or don't try the polonium maki-mono roll.

What am I? Stupid Cheesy
wheretherealredsare
Change me

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: Friday, August 8, 2008, 18:41:05 »

Eat Puke  Blow Up
Rich Pullen

« Reply #8 on: Friday, August 8, 2008, 18:42:07 »

Eat Puke  Blow Up

Nicely done. I'm sure that's pretty much what happened!
wheretherealredsare
Change me

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: Friday, August 8, 2008, 18:47:44 »

He committed sushicide ... it says here.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: Friday, August 8, 2008, 18:51:48 »

The Caucasus region is very difficult to get the head round....Dimbleby J recently did a series on the new Russia and went there....he gave some insight into the age old conflicts, based on religion and ethnicity.  Which are often brought about by the mountainous geography of the region.  I would claim next to no knowledge of the area.
wheretherealredsare
Change me

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: Friday, August 8, 2008, 18:54:37 »

Makes you a good candidate for next Russian president Reg ... pity about the citizenship though.
Rich Pullen

« Reply #12 on: Friday, August 8, 2008, 19:01:10 »

I'll go with the FOX Network/bSkyb school of thought.

[url width=466 height=300]http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/44903000/jpg/_44903294_-168.jpg[/url]

Look at South Ossetian rebel leader Eduard Kokoity, he's evil.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: Friday, August 8, 2008, 19:06:42 »

Makes you a good candidate for next Russian president Reg ... pity about the citizenship though.

Do you think I should putin for it?
Rich Pullen

« Reply #14 on: Friday, August 8, 2008, 19:09:34 »

I better you're happy with that little chestnut Reg.

French
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up
Print
Jump to: