Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 6   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Groundshare with Bath Rugby - on a full time basis?  (Read 7659 times)
janaage
People's Front of Alba

Ignore
« on: Wednesday, June 11, 2008, 07:56:16 »

It's being looked at according to the back page of today's Adver.

I think I'd welcome that.
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday, June 11, 2008, 08:02:19 »

Rugby? I wouldn't mind, especially with the pitch investment, it should be able to cope and I'd probably go to a few games now and again.
Barry Scott

« Reply #2 on: Wednesday, June 11, 2008, 08:12:27 »

Could also be a great way to get more support. They could also get the marketing team doing a deal on a joint season ticket thing. I just hope the pitch can take the abuse that the pie eaters will give it.
herthab
TEF Travel

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday, June 11, 2008, 08:15:06 »

If it brings more money in, great.

I've personally got no interest in rugby, but if they can ensure the pitch doesn't end up like a quagmire, it can only be good.

It's All Good..............
McLovin

« Reply #4 on: Wednesday, June 11, 2008, 08:20:50 »

I'm excited by this, i'd quite like to watch some live Rugby
janaage
People's Front of Alba

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday, June 11, 2008, 08:21:26 »

Linkage -

http://www.thisisswindontownfc.co.uk/display.var.2332716.0.town_could_consider_future_groundshare_with_bath_rugby_club.php

SWINDON Town believe a permanent groundshare with Bath Rugby Club could one day be a route worth exploring - while admitting talks are ongoing about becoming their temporary landlords in 2009.

West Country rugby giants Bath revealed for the first time yesterday they are seriously considering a future away from the Recreation Ground, with Town admitting a potential union would be worth investigation.

The County Ground outfit insist no long-term plan about relocation or redevelopment has even been discussed to date, as their initial rescue work continues, but do believe there could be scope in a future partnership.

Chief Executive Nick Watkins, pictured right, admitted there were several other options to consider when the County Ground issue comes to the fore though, including a possible marriage with speedway side Swindon Robins.

While the long-term future of the County Ground remains very much up in the air, Watkins did reveal becoming Bath's temporary landlords in 2009 was still a realistic option.

Bath revealed quitting their historical ground was now a more serious option than ever as talks over a proposed 15,000 seat stadium stalled with chief executive Bob Calleja admitting they could consider sharing with another club.

advertisementTown's Watkins said: "I have to be honest talks with Bath Rugby Club have been restricted to groundsharing for the 2009-2010 season and those do continue to be developed.

"No discussions have happened beyond that in terms of a longer term ground share. But when we get into discussing relocation or redevelopment of the County Ground, all angles will be discussed.

"That could mean looking at a ground share with a rugby club or even the speedway team. We would be doing the town a dis-service if we did not consider these things.

"Nothing can be ruled out because as I have said nothing has really been discussed."

A groundshare with Bath for the season after next has become a more realistic possibility though, with Watkins revealing work is ongoing to making sure they would be ready for the potential scenario.

He said: "Rugby clubs are uniquely different to a football club in that they sell 18 to 20 corporate hospitality boxes every game and normally bring 10-14,000 people.

"It could be an opportunity for financial gain for us.

"We are making the relevant enquiries to make sure we would be ready if it became a viable option."

A potential permanent share with a major Premier rugby club was mooted by the council and Town back in 2005 as part of plans for a £50m revamp of the County Ground.
herthab
TEF Travel

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday, June 11, 2008, 08:22:33 »

Just read the article and noticed that Watkins is even talking about possibly sharing with the speedway.

Rugby's ok, but speedway? The track would have to be between the pitch and the stands. All grounds I've been to with running tracks and such around the pitch are piss poor in terms of atmosphere, it always feels you're cutoff from the action.

Or is it just me?

It's All Good..............
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday, June 11, 2008, 08:30:04 »

It's all "no option is closed yet" at the moment. I can't see speedway working either, besides which haven't they just got the go ahead for redevelopment of the Abbey Stadium?

So...

- Bath rugby in Swindon on a perm basis. Yes, provided the pitch can hack it and the redevelopment is in Swindon, not Chippenham Smiley
McLovin

« Reply #8 on: Wednesday, June 11, 2008, 08:50:30 »

Quote from: "herthab"
Just read the article and noticed that Watkins is even talking about possibly sharing with the speedway.

Rugby's ok, but speedway? The track would have to be between the pitch and the stands. All grounds I've been to with running tracks and such around the pitch are piss poor in terms of atmosphere, it always feels you're cutoff from the action.

Or is it just me?

It may just mean that they develop a complex, where there is a Speedway track and a football stadium? I doubt it though. Speedway round a football pitch would be rubbish.
Sippo
Living in the 80s

I ain't gettin on no plane fool

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday, June 11, 2008, 09:40:09 »

I've been to a few stadiums with a running track around, particulary abroad,
and even though further away from the pitch the atmosphere and view has been just as good.

If my calculations are correct, when this baby hits 88 miles per hour, you're gonna see some serious shit...
reeves4england

We'll never die!

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday, June 11, 2008, 10:11:25 »

Quote from: "Sippo"
and even though further away from the pitch the atmosphere and view has been just as good.

Ever been to Brighton?  :?   Cheesy

I think a groundshare with Bath is a potentially good idea, although it would depend very much on the location of any future development. Also, it would be a bit weird if Bath permanently moved that far away from the city they are named after, and I wouldn't exactly expect them to change their name after 140-odd years
Bogus Dave
Ate my own dick

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday, June 11, 2008, 10:12:45 »

Wasn't a groundshare with bath put about in the 90's too? I vaguely remember my dad getting excited about seeing some rugby at the CG.

Things get better but they never get good
A Gent Orange

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday, June 11, 2008, 10:22:31 »

It would also mean that that I can get into many of Bath's tiny pubs on a Saturday without being forced to squeeze past the enourmous guts and luxuriant beards of their supporters.
Sippo
Living in the 80s

I ain't gettin on no plane fool

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday, June 11, 2008, 10:30:05 »

Quote from: "reeves4england"
Quote from: "Sippo"

Ever been to Brighton?  :?   Cheesy

I think a groundshare with Bath is a potentially good idea, although it would depend very much on the location of any future development. Also, it would be a bit weird if Bath permanently moved that far away from the city they are named after, and I wouldn't exactly expect them to change their name after 140-odd years

If my calculations are correct, when this baby hits 88 miles per hour, you're gonna see some serious shit...
Simon Pieman
Original Wanker

« Reply #14 on: Wednesday, June 11, 2008, 10:47:47 »

If people were that bothered about watching rugby they could actually travel to Bath, it's not very far or expensive to do so.

It just seems a bit plastic and not too dissimilar to an Franchise-esque franchise (should it be a permanent move). I'm sure the proper fans of the rugby club would love Swindon for stealing it from them. For that reason I am opposed and am surprised at some people for saying they are not fussed, whereas if it had been the opposite move (the football moved out of town to say...Bath) there would be uproar.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 6   Go Up
Print
Jump to: