Pages: 1 ... 422 423 424 [425] 426 427 428 ... 448   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Films films filmsy films.  (Read 1240624 times)
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #6360 on: Wednesday, October 9, 2019, 19:24:10 »

I liked Joker too. Very well acted,  more characterisation than action but not in a boring way.
Sippo
Living in the 80s

I ain't gettin on no plane fool

Ignore
« Reply #6361 on: Friday, October 11, 2019, 07:56:44 »

El Camino: A Breaking Bad Movie out today on netflix.

If my calculations are correct, when this baby hits 88 miles per hour, you're gonna see some serious shit...
BambooToTheFuture

I'll Tell Ya Now - McGurk Is The New Graham

Ignore
« Reply #6362 on: Friday, October 11, 2019, 15:01:09 »

I liked Joker too. Very well acted,  more characterisation than action but not in a boring way.

Well it is a characterised drama so there's no surprise but Joaquin Phoenix continues with the gritty dark elements, left by the wonderfully acted Joker, Heath Ledger. Scott Silver co-writes a compelling story in this standalone picture, which probably focuses on more real-to-life and relating issues for the viewer.

The two though should not really be compared. When David Goyer wrote about the Joker in the comics and more so later in The Dark Knight, you could tell there was always a freedom within that erratic, exhausting, schizophrenic version. The character could have done anything and it would've likely worked. Much credit there lies with Ledger. That version of the Joker was already at his most developed and sinister insanity. Ready made if you must.

In Silver's version, Joker is an adaptation of his origins from The Killing Joke and as stated explores more relatable areas. Maybe it feels more real to us but Phoenix delivers a believable performance - we could all be the Joker.

With quick reference to the Jared Leto personification, this again was a much different Joker. More akin to the comic book style. Not as believable or shocking, like Phoenix or Ledger but one could argue, Leto stays true to the image of the comic book character portrayal. However, he is being a bit of a bitch about the latest portrayal so he can go further down the list of "Jokers 101"

In Joker we have a dedicated characterisation, as opposed to a supporting character within a feature (The Dark Knight, Suicide Squad). How accurate do any of these and others line up to Red Hood? Well we probably can't really be one to judge. A great line from the perfidious jester just about sums it up; "Sometimes I remember one way, sometimes another...if I'm going to have a past, I prefer multiple choice!"

I give Joker the benefit of it's critics. In a standalone sense, I give it about a 7.2/10 Red Good.

'Incessant Nonsense'

'I'm gonna tell you the secret.
There's a threat, you end it and you don't feel ashamed about enjoying it.
You smell the gunpowder and you see the blood, you know what that means?
It means you're alive. You've won.
You take the heads so that you don't ever forget.'
Chubbs

Ignore
« Reply #6363 on: Tuesday, October 22, 2019, 13:51:41 »

Watched IT last night. Wasn't bad, but was left disappointed. Just didnt give the scare factor the original did. That might be because i was 11/12 when i watched the first one.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #6364 on: Tuesday, October 22, 2019, 14:34:39 »

Watched IT last night. Wasn't bad, but was left disappointed.

Agree with that. Was a bit "Goonies" like rather than scary.

Not that the Goonies isn't brilliant of course.

Ignore
« Reply #6365 on: Tuesday, November 12, 2019, 19:48:31 »

Been unwell and off work so have binge watched films yesterday/today. 'Joker' definitely the pick of the 4 which I thought was excellent. 'Yesterday' was a nice enough watch but very average. As was both 'Skin' and 'Dolemite is my name'. Looking forward to seeing 'The Irishman'
Red Frog
Not a Dave

Pondlife

Ignore
« Reply #6366 on: Tuesday, November 12, 2019, 19:52:41 »

I think you'd like the latest Ken Loach, Sorry We Missed You. I loved it - brutal and tender, essential election-time viewing.

Tout ce que je sais de plus sūr ą propos de la moralité et des obligations des hommes, c'est au football que je le dois. - Albert Camus

Ignore
« Reply #6367 on: Tuesday, November 12, 2019, 19:59:37 »

I think you'd like the latest Ken Loach, Sorry We Missed You. I loved it - brutal and tender, essential election-time viewing.

I'll definitely give that a go 👍
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #6368 on: Thursday, November 21, 2019, 09:53:24 »

Had a bit of a film fest over the last couple of evenings;

Yesterday - was OK but a bit meh, had Lily JAmes in it, is there nothing she isn't in at the moment.

Peterloo - I had looked forward to watching it but it was a little bit stereotypes and caricatured, rich people bad with no empathy, all the workers salt of the earth types who would give their last piece of bread for their fellow man. Must confess if didn't grab me, although knowing the history in advance probably didn't help as there were no shocks in it (apart possibly from Rory Kinnears Wiltshire accent!)

Arctic - Was surprisingly good for a film with no dialogue, Mads Mikkelsen was fantastic as always whilst the lass in it spent an hour and a half laid on a stretcher not saying anything, which I suspect will not be her most onerous role.

With the little one and Christmas coming up we have A Shaun the Sheep Movie: Farmageddon to look forward to!
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #6369 on: Monday, December 16, 2019, 13:47:05 »

Will no doubt be a disappointment, but will still have to go and watch it!

Barry Scott

« Reply #6370 on: Tuesday, December 17, 2019, 09:48:54 »

Almost finished 6 Underground on Netflix. I was aware it was a Michael Bay film so knew it'd be comically over the top, but it's so unfathomably ridiculous and cartoonish. I am enjoying it though as it does what it says on the tin.

Will no doubt be a disappointment, but will still have to go and watch it!

Can't wait to watch that. Too Cool
Chubbs

Ignore
« Reply #6371 on: Tuesday, December 17, 2019, 09:57:47 »

Almost finished 6 Underground on Netflix. I was aware it was a Michael Bay film so knew it'd be comically over the top, but it's so unfathomably ridiculous and cartoonish. I am enjoying it though as it does what it says on the tin.

Can't wait to watch that. Too Cool
Started to watch 6 Underground but couldn't get into it.
Barry Scott

« Reply #6372 on: Tuesday, December 17, 2019, 10:06:49 »

Started to watch 6 Underground but couldn't get into it.

That's understandable. It's ridiculous and a bit of a mess. The fact I've watched it in 3 sittings (so far) has probably helped numb Bay's attempts at conducting audio-visual warfare.
Chubbs

Ignore
« Reply #6373 on: Tuesday, December 17, 2019, 10:46:10 »

That's understandable. It's ridiculous and a bit of a mess. The fact I've watched it in 3 sittings (so far) has probably helped numb Bay's attempts at conducting audio-visual warfare.
Its like ever since Deadpool, the only character RR can play, is Deadpool.
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #6374 on: Friday, January 10, 2020, 21:04:03 »

1917 was very good.

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
Pages: 1 ... 422 423 424 [425] 426 427 428 ... 448   Go Up
Print
Jump to: