Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Gretna - Could Close Tomorrow  (Read 5972 times)
stfctownenda

Ignore
« Reply #60 on: Tuesday, June 3, 2008, 14:44:59 »

Quote from: "janaage"
History has nothing to do with it.  Today some football fans of Gretna have lost their club and that is a shame.  So what if a rich bloke took over and got them promotion after promotion.  

What were the Gretna fans supposed to do?  It's a shame that there was no back up plan and yes I admit mistakes were made (in allowing them in the SPL) but it's still not a day for "I told you so's" or "I don't care" as we are all aware here one man's tin pot club, is another man's theatre of dreams.

Gretna fans could of tried to save there club, when ours was in danger there were people (trust & others) out fighting to keep it alive.  Bottom line is not enough of them care because they have not been following them long enough.  Gretna coped without a team for years and will go back to just doing that, the few that do care will think of re-forming and starting in the scottish or english lower non leagues.
janaage
People's Front of Alba

Ignore
« Reply #61 on: Tuesday, June 3, 2008, 14:51:21 »

Come on fella, this attitude stinks.  Just because a club isn't in the league doesn't mean they don't have a club.  Gretna were formed in the 1940's, not 5 years ago.  

If a premier league supporter was talking about us or any league 1 or 2 club like this we'd be up in arms.

Who cares is they had a few hundred fans, the point is those few hundred fans have just lost something dear to them.
dell boy

« Reply #62 on: Tuesday, June 3, 2008, 14:58:50 »

Come on fella, this attitude stinks.  Just because a club isn't in the league doesn't mean they don't have a club.  Gretna were formed in the 1940's, not 5 years ago.  

If a premier league supporter was talking about us or any league 1 or 2 club like this we'd be up in arms.

Who cares is they had a few hundred fans, the point is those few hundred fans have just lost something dear to them.

Reading plastic fans who have only supported the club for two years were in tears after relegation (how can we ever forget) - and Janaage I think you are 100% right and correct.
flammableBen

« Reply #63 on: Tuesday, June 3, 2008, 15:04:09 »

Quote from: "stfctownenda"

Gretna fans could of tried to save there club, when ours was in danger there were people (trust & others) out fighting to keep it alive.  Bottom line is not enough of them care because they have not been following them long enough.  Gretna coped without a team for years and will go back to just doing that, the few that do care will think of re-forming and starting in the scottish or english lower non leagues.

Drawing lines where football clubs have enough proper fans to matter is the wrong way to look at football. I can't be arsed to type out the over-wordy diatribe which was about to froth all over this post. So I'll just call you a cunt.

Cunt.
stfctownenda

Ignore
« Reply #64 on: Tuesday, June 3, 2008, 15:15:57 »

Quote from: "flammableBen"
Quote from: "stfctownenda"

Drawing lines where football clubs have enough proper fans to matter is the wrong way to look at football. I can't be arsed to type out the over-wordy diatribe which was about to froth all over this post. So I'll just call you a cunt.

Cunt.

Get a job
land_of_bo

« Reply #65 on: Tuesday, June 3, 2008, 15:16:15 »

(not at Gretna)
Spencer_White

« Reply #66 on: Tuesday, June 3, 2008, 17:17:40 »

Quote from: "SwindonTartanArmy"
Quote from: "Spencer_White"
As has been said before, they should never have been allowed in the SPL, because they could not stage games close to their own town. They should have shared with Carlisle.

The same is true at international level. Ive got no problem with Lichenstein, Faroe Islands, Luxembourg. But San Marino and Andorra cannot play a game in their own country, which means they shouldnt be there at all.

I dont feel sorry for Gretna fans though to be honest. If you were going to compare them to an English club, it would have to be Rushden and Diamonds. Entirely one mans play thing, once he gets bored or the money runs out they plummet out of the league. It served those fans right. The ones in Northamptonshire who should have been supporting their county team, but instead got on a rich mans bandwaggon. Franchise totally different, not comparable.
San Marino do play in their own country.

We played them in Bologna.

Just a pawn for the Italians to get another vote at FIFA/UEFA.

As for Gretna, what theyve done is totally unnatural. Yes its sad for the village of Gretna, but theyve done more than any other village teams in the UK. Like I said, they couldnt host their own games within about 70 miles of their own ground.
SwindonTartanArmy
Go Team GB!

London Scottish - More History than Franchise!

Ignore
« Reply #67 on: Wednesday, June 4, 2008, 09:25:47 »

As has been said before, they should never have been allowed in the SPL, because they could not stage games close to their own town. They should have shared with Carlisle.

The same is true at international level. Ive got no problem with Lichenstein, Faroe Islands, Luxembourg. But San Marino and Andorra cannot play a game in their own country, which means they shouldnt be there at all.

I dont feel sorry for Gretna fans though to be honest. If you were going to compare them to an English club, it would have to be Rushden and Diamonds. Entirely one mans play thing, once he gets bored or the money runs out they plummet out of the league. It served those fans right. The ones in Northamptonshire who should have been supporting their county team, but instead got on a rich mans bandwaggon. Franchise totally different, not comparable.

As for Gretna, what theyve done is totally unnatural. Yes its sad for the village of Gretna, but theyve done more than any other village teams in the UK. Like I said, they couldnt host their own games within about 70 miles of their own ground.
when was that? We played them in Serraville in 2000

Vi er best i verden! Vi er best i verden! Vi har slått England 2-1 i fotball!! Det er aldeles utrolig! Vi har slått England! England, kjempers fødeland. Lord Nelson, Lord Beaverbrook, Sir Winston Churchill, Sir Anthony Eden, Clement Attlee, Henry Cooper, Lady Diana--vi har slått dem alle sammen. Vi har slått dem alle sammen. Maggie Thatcher can you hear me?
Your boys took a hell of a beating!"
SwindonTartanArmy
Go Team GB!

Ignore
« Reply #68 on: Wednesday, June 4, 2008, 09:38:23 »

when was that? We played them in Serraville in 2000
Just to answer my own question... 1993. They also played Holland in Bologna that year. Every other game has been in Serraville.

Vi er best i verden! Vi er best i verden! Vi har slått England 2-1 i fotball!! Det er aldeles utrolig! Vi har slått England! England, kjempers fødeland. Lord Nelson, Lord Beaverbrook, Sir Winston Churchill, Sir Anthony Eden, Clement Attlee, Henry Cooper, Lady Diana--vi har slått dem alle sammen. Vi har slått dem alle sammen. Maggie Thatcher can you hear me?
Spencer_White

« Reply #69 on: Wednesday, June 4, 2008, 11:58:57 »

Just the big teams then.
larwood
The girl least likely to.

Ignore
« Reply #70 on: Wednesday, June 4, 2008, 12:09:38 »

Just the big teams then.

I was a small, fat child in a welfare house
There was only one thing I ever dreamed about
And fate has just
Handed it to me - whoopee
SwindonTartanArmy
Go Team GB!

Ignore
« Reply #71 on: Wednesday, June 4, 2008, 12:36:19 »

Just the big teams then.
In Serraville? yeah, you arent wrong. THey only play the diddy teams away from there.

Spencer_White

« Reply #72 on: Wednesday, June 4, 2008, 18:44:11 »

Just the big teams then.
In Serraville? yeah, you arent wrong. THey only play the diddy teams away from there.

I meant big as in well supported, not big as in fat sweaty blokes eating battered mars bars and washing it down with super strength lager.
janaage
People's Front of Alba

Ignore
« Reply #73 on: Wednesday, June 4, 2008, 18:52:09 »

Probably more to do with they welcome the well behaved fans in San Marino, whereas trouble making nationalistic wanker supporters are left to the Italians to batten charge.
Spencer_White

« Reply #74 on: Wednesday, June 4, 2008, 18:56:12 »

Probably more to do with they welcome the well behaved fans in San Marino, whereas trouble making nationalistic wanker supporters are left to the Italians to batten charge.

How dare you talk about the Dutch like that.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6   Go Up
Print
Jump to: