Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: No plan & no ideas  (Read 1054 times)
returnofthereds

« on: Monday, March 3, 2008, 23:00:49 »

I really dont see any plan of action when our players step out on the pitch each week, except the obvious concept of trying to score more goals than the other team.
Now i dont want to compare the players we have now from the players we had when we were a very strong old division 2 team because that's unfair,we are of a lesser standard but football is still the same. But then we had a plan for matches,the same plan week in week out.
Digby would have the ball and then give it to a defender,they would look for a certain midfielder to drop off and collect it,he would then look for a winger who was unmarked or a striker with a bit of room.Now i know we dont have a Hazard or a Walters but football isn't rocket science.
Now if MM wants to play Allen then thats fine,I thought he looked ok in a game that was pretty tough going for a young lad against some established players.But we cant play Easton and Peacock if he is to be our ball/link man.Easton needs to be in the middle and not on the left or right. The same goes for Peacs.
MM needs to grow some balls and a make a choice now so the players know their jobs. I think we all find things easy at work as we probably do the same thing day in day out.
These poor sods have no idea what their role in the team is.
I really dont see any proof of what they have been doing in training all week on a Saturday afternoon at all.We all sit there for an hour and a half watching and I certainly cant figure it out as to what they are trying to do.
Against Walsall last week it took me 15 mins to see their game plan. Get the ball and look for Holmes, if he was in space give it to his feet. If was marked, knock it over his shoulder in to the space for him to chase. It doesn't always have to complicated.
If you know what you are doing before you go out, it makes it easier to make sure you are where you should be and more importantly,where somebody else is going to be.
We just seem to run out,wave to the fans,wait for the whistle then see what happens.We dont seem to dictate how a game pans out,just react to situations.  
I just hope that tomorrow night Huddersfield are worse than us as at the moment they are the only sort of teams we will beat ( so long as we actually manage to score).
Sorry to bore you all but it is really starting to bug me that I turn up each week get annoyed and frustrated then go home again and wait for it happen again next time.  Sad
STFCBIKER

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: Monday, March 3, 2008, 23:16:03 »

Think this has already been covered and we've decided that Malpas needs more time(something like that anyway)
Isn't being frustrated part of being a town fan?
returnofthereds

« Reply #2 on: Monday, March 3, 2008, 23:25:18 »

Yeh I know we have covered it, just a shame that a certain someone who can do it, hasn't actually covered it.
redbullzeye

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday, March 4, 2008, 00:03:14 »

Share your frustrations RotR.  I couldn't see what the point was playing Easton wide right and Roberts on the left - even Chrissie Allen in the middle even though he did fine until he ran out of steam -  but I'm not a football manager.  It looked like Malpas had decided to pack the middle of the pitch as Leeds had no natural threat on the wings - they certainly caused us more problem straight down the middle at Elland Road.  You could argue as they were limited to one decent chance at goal, the strategy almost worked but what it did do was sacrifice us having the initiative when we're the home team.  I have always believed that if you're the home team you go out and play your game and let the opposition worry about you and get them on the back foot.  Maybe this is just "supporter wishing" and real football people know better and are more pragmatic.  One thing is for sure - people slagging the team and manager off is not going to help.
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday, March 4, 2008, 12:13:57 »

The only time in the past 10 years I've seen any evidence of a proper "plan" as you put it was the brief spell under Wise.  It's the only time I;ve been able to spot a clear and definite set of tactics being used.  He had the team push the side of the pitch the ball was, which made us narrow but bloody hard to break down.  It was on old Wimbledon tactic and it frustrates other teams no end.  Both "wide" men tucked in and bossed games without overrunning anyone.  It worked really well when it worked, and it made for dull close 1-0's either way when it didn't work so well.  We were also told to play at a higher tempo, and press more I would guess, as witnessed by the use of extra balls and the fact that when a team did switch the play everyone without excpetion in our team quickly pushed the other way in unison.

Under Sturrock there was allegedly a plan, but all I can say for sure was keeping the wide men wide.  Other than that it was the same old stuff.  Spots of good football mostly surrounded by periods of knocking it long.
Ralphy

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday, March 4, 2008, 14:01:47 »

Mickey Hazard was rather good too. Wish we had him now.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: