Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: I just survived.....  (Read 5825 times)
tans
You spin me right round baby right round

Ignore
« Reply #60 on: Wednesday, February 27, 2008, 20:11:13 »

Pah. Didnt wake me up.
Slept through a fire call too when my pager went off, i must have been fucked  :?
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #61 on: Wednesday, February 27, 2008, 20:21:33 »

Quote from: "BANGKOK RED"
Also.

I once had a Fillipino GF, it was a very short lived affair and I would not reccomend a fillipino GF to anybody, but that's a different story.

But anyway, during my time with her I learned that Earthquakes are a common affair and mandatorilly they all the the exact procedure's of what to do should an Earthquake happen.

Apparently things like laying under the bed are a big no no because you could become crushed/trapped by falling debris.

Apparently the most sensible and safe thing to do is to stand in a door-frame which for whatever reason offers much protection.

I'd still be tempted to go for the "Under the bed" option myself though.

Under the bed is for nuclear attack.

It may be difficult for some of our younger readers to contemplate, but at the height of the Cold War around 1980/81 when the USA were deploying  cruise and Persching  missiles at Greenham Common ....that the Government had to issue civil defence pamphlets like Protect and Survive, which described simple  methods for trying to survive an attack.

Such as sitting in the cupboard under the stairs and piling sandbags and earth bags o the stairs.....if no cupboard take down doors and make a lean to or sit under a big table and in both cases fortify with bags.   Of course lay in supplies of food and water.  This led to periodic panic buying of bottled water etc.

Some entrepreneurial types even made a bit from building proper shelters for the well  heeled.

Think the majority  of the population stuck their fingers in their ears and went la la la la it will never happen, while some of us got on with protesting.
herthab
TEF Travel

Ignore
« Reply #62 on: Wednesday, February 27, 2008, 20:28:58 »

Quote from: "Reg Smeeton"
Also.

I once had a Fillipino GF, it was a very short lived affair and I would not reccomend a fillipino GF to anybody, but that's a different story.

But anyway, during my time with her I learned that Earthquakes are a common affair and mandatorilly they all the the exact procedure's of what to do should an Earthquake happen.

Apparently things like laying under the bed are a big no no because you could become crushed/trapped by falling debris.

Apparently the most sensible and safe thing to do is to stand in a door-frame which for whatever reason offers much protection.

I'd still be tempted to go for the "Under the bed" option myself though.

Under the bed is for nuclear attack.

It may be difficult for some of our younger readers to contemplate, but at the height of the Cold War around 1980/81 when the USA were deploying  cruise and Persching  missiles at Greenham Common ....that the Government had to issue civil defence pamphlets like Protect and Survive, which described simple  methods for trying to survive an attack.

Such as sitting in the cupboard under the stairs and piling sandbags and earth bags o the stairs.....if no cupboard take down doors and make a lean to or sit under a big table and in both cases fortify with bags.   Of course lay in supplies of food and water.  This led to periodic panic buying of bottled water etc.

Some entrepreneurial types even made a bit from building proper shelters for the well  heeled.

Think the majority  of the population stuck their fingers in their ears and went la la la la it will never happen, while some of us got on with protesting.

Well tbf they were right, weren't they?

It's All Good..............
BANGKOK RED

« Reply #63 on: Wednesday, February 27, 2008, 20:33:04 »

I remember once a "chat" that one of my step-dads had with me once, about how the world might be blown about because of one man who could push a button and drop a big bad bomb that would destroy the world.

Being about 10-ish at the time my imagination was running wild and I had images of a character who looked liked Einstein, running around with some kind of remote with a big red button on it whilst laughing insanely.
Looking back I think that he was probably a bit concerned about the Cold war and that.

Delboy and Rodney had their own fall-out shelter didn't they, and Dell-boy knicked the lead from some yard.
BANGKOK RED

« Reply #64 on: Wednesday, February 27, 2008, 20:34:50 »

Oh,

And who remembers that animation: "When the wind blows"

Sad movie that.
yeo

Ignore
« Reply #65 on: Wednesday, February 27, 2008, 20:41:43 »

Oh,

Sad movie that.

Yes I do. I remember being reallly scared of Nuclear War as a kid,I suppose everyones scared of it but I think I assumed it was inevitable.

/
W56196272
yeo

Ignore
« Reply #66 on: Wednesday, February 27, 2008, 20:45:44 »

You know Im sure they used to show adverts on telly of what to do in the event of a nuclear blast.

/
W56196272
flammableBen

« Reply #67 on: Wednesday, February 27, 2008, 20:48:16 »

In the event of any big civilisation damaging disaster then I'm taking full advantage with a full on looting session.

It's the only sensible thing to do.
herthab
TEF Travel

Ignore
« Reply #68 on: Wednesday, February 27, 2008, 20:49:39 »

Quote from: "Oevil red"
You know Im sure they used to show adverts on telly of what to do in the event of a nuclear blast.

Yeah, I remember them Cheesy

I thought it was all a bit pointless, unless you were rich and could afford a lead lined, concrete, underground bunker you were basically fucked.

Don't think hiding under the stairs, or taping your windows, would protect you much from the initial blast, or the fallout.

Happy, carefree, childhood days

It's All Good..............
dell boy

« Reply #69 on: Wednesday, February 27, 2008, 20:49:45 »

Oh,

Sad movie that.

Yes I do. I remember being reallly scared of Nuclear War as a kid,I suppose everyones scared of it but I think I assumed it was inevitable.

They were scary days Yeovil ... I remember feeling exactly the same .... we had lessons at school to tell us what to do in the case of nuclear attack, for all the good that would have done. As you say it seemed to be inevitable, you just hoped they would hit the midlands or the north and not the south.
yeo

Ignore
« Reply #70 on: Wednesday, February 27, 2008, 20:55:26 »

Im going way off topic here but there used to be all sorts of Public Information adverts.

the one where the kids went into the Sub Station after thier football.

no fishing near overhead power lines or you'll probably die

these things must have been proper killers of kids in those days to make adverts about it.These days its eating to many Burgers that kills kids.

/
W56196272
flammableBen

« Reply #71 on: Wednesday, February 27, 2008, 20:56:05 »

The instant death blast radius of a even modern nuclear weapons isn't that big is it? A couple of miles radius or so for instant? So unless you're close to an obvious target or they blanket bomb the country, you'll probably be ok for a few weeks. Until other stuff like cunts going around looting your stuff and foot shortages kick in and you get cancer.

Fuck knows, I could be wrong. But I thought the image of one bomb taking out the entire south of England or something was a bit of an exaggeration.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #72 on: Wednesday, February 27, 2008, 20:56:17 »

Oh,

Sad movie that.

Me too. That's what happens when you sneakily watch "Threads" on a portable TV in your room.

As for the adverts, I'm sure they were real. They definitely produced useful literature like this in the 60's

http://www.ki4u.com/survive/index.htm
Samdy Gray
Dirty sneaky traitor weasel

Ignore
« Reply #73 on: Wednesday, February 27, 2008, 20:57:07 »

no fishing near overhead power lines or you'll probably die

they need to bring these back

No point in bringing that one back, all new rods are carbon fibre which don't conduct electricity. Fish near overhead power lines all you like.
Bogus Dave
Ate my own dick

Ignore
« Reply #74 on: Wednesday, February 27, 2008, 21:01:25 »

Wasnt their a nuclear bunker underneath the now demolished police offices on fleming way?

Things get better but they never get good
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Up
Print
Jump to: