Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: what is the world coming to?  (Read 6768 times)
juddie

Ignore
« on: Thursday, February 7, 2008, 12:55:03 »

Wouldn't mind if it meant we could watch Town in Europe!

The English Premier League is considering playing some matches overseas, BBC Sport has learned.
At a meeting in London on Thursday, all 20 clubs agreed to explore a proposal to extend the season to 39 games.

Those 10 extra games would be played at venues around the world, with cities bidding for the right to stage them.

It is understood the additional fixtures could be determined by a draw but that the top-five teams could be seeded to avoid playing each other.

It is unlikely that any decision will be taken before the Premier League's annual summer meeting in June.

Should the proposal get the go-ahead, cities in Asia, Middle East and North America are likely to show a strong interest in hosting the extra games.

This is a chance for the Premier league to showcase their product around the world

BBC sports editor Mihir Bose

BBC Sport believes there would be five venues, with two games - on a Saturday and Sunday - taking place at each one.

BBC sports editor Mihir Bose says the Premier League's decision to explore such a move is a "logical" one.

"The growth of the Premier League has been impressive in the last 15 years thanks to the sale of television rights in this country," he said.

"But now the market in the United Kingdom is becoming saturated and it is the overseas market which is now the big target area."

A number of top-flight clubs already play matches around the world as they seek to capitalise on the huge global interest in the English game.

606: DEBATE
Surely this is a joke, am checking my calendar now to see if its April 1st already!!

atters1

Manchester United are regular visitors to Asia, Middle East and America while other clubs are beginning to follow their lead.

"This is a chance for the Premier league to showcase their product around the world," added Bose.

"Some fans may feel aggrieved, but their concerns will be outweighed by the advantages.

"Clubs will see this as a chance to make more money so they can invest in new facilities and better players."
Matchworn Shirts
For Sale

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: Thursday, February 7, 2008, 12:59:45 »

Money grabbing

I come from a land down-under
genf_stfc

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: Thursday, February 7, 2008, 13:04:10 »

nothing surprises me anymore.  In some respects the impoverished lower leagues do have an advantage in that occasionally the games are actually about seeing who is the best team, rather than just an opportunity to flog more tat.

Incidentally I just read "Premiership" by Chris Horrie about how the premiership was started and the general air of dodginess surrounding the whole thing - it was written in 2002 so doesn't go as far as ITV digital going under, but 'tis still a good read.
Dazzza

« Reply #3 on: Thursday, February 7, 2008, 13:04:21 »

You're nowt but a whore of a league with a global army of semi aroused voyeurs.  When you’re cheeks have gone loose and the perverts catch their kicks from the next new Thai ping pong show in Town all of you’re bread and butter regulars will have long since found solace in the warm comforting bosom of a reassuringly familiar, cheaper and altogether friendlier lower league respectable woman.

Come to Daddy

red macca

« Reply #4 on: Thursday, February 7, 2008, 13:05:38 »

I said this would happen the minute the yanks held the shit rugby at wembley
Dazzza

« Reply #5 on: Thursday, February 7, 2008, 13:11:11 »

It's all a bit grim really.

I'd love to see the League demand a good stake of the Premiership TV rights or threaten to cut the bastards loose.

Offer those top sides the opportunity to re-join the league, re-structure the pyramid to accommodate the distortion and then leave the rest out to rot.  When you see what we’ve been through recently and Bournemouth are experiencing now this sort of show pony cash cow stunt is a bit of a sickener.

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: Thursday, February 7, 2008, 13:21:57 »

football eventually will kill itself off.its getting more ridiculous by the day
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: Thursday, February 7, 2008, 13:25:09 »

What Dazza said. Both times
Northern Red

« Reply #8 on: Thursday, February 7, 2008, 13:31:22 »

Good idea premier league

On the anniversery of the Munich air crash, lets vote to shove more footballers onto planes.
Roll on Munich 2  :-))(
Colin Todd

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: Thursday, February 7, 2008, 13:35:24 »

I simply dont understand it.

It makes sense playing Amercian Football abroad, they are trying to expand the sports global popularity

Football is the most popular sport in the world already Shrug
red macca

« Reply #10 on: Thursday, February 7, 2008, 13:37:37 »

Quote from: "Colin Todd"
I simply dont understand it.

It makes sense playing Amercian Football abroad, they are trying to expand the sports global popularity

Football is the most popular sport in the world already Shrug
Well where do you think the first football game will be played, La Galaxy by any chance
McLovin

« Reply #11 on: Thursday, February 7, 2008, 13:38:47 »

I thought they complained about playing too much football? Surely this won't help the poor little lambs?
Luci

Fatbury's Stalker

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: Thursday, February 7, 2008, 13:42:46 »

Although I don't like the idea personally, I think the Premier League are only trying to achieve their objectives.  

Use our power and influence responsibly to improve the game in this country and abraod through partnership with the FA, UEFA and other bodies
Power to people

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: Thursday, February 7, 2008, 13:46:05 »

Didn't the Russian FA say that wanted to do this to "raise their profile" and either fifa or uefa told them they could do it, so I'm, sure the FAPL would be blocked from doing this also.

It is disgusting though they are just a cash cow and they should spread the wealth to the lower leagues - the wages that some of the larger teams pay one of their "star" players could help to clear debts of teams like Bournemouth, but of course they wouldn't even consider helping any team other than themselves.
Tails

Git facked

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: Thursday, February 7, 2008, 14:14:25 »

What a massive kick in the teeth for the supporters.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5   Go Up
Print
Jump to: