Poll
Question: Next England Manager?  (Voting closed: Thursday, November 22, 2007, 13:35:24)
MARTIN O'NEILL - 12 (15.4%)
JOSE MOURINHO - 30 (38.5%)
HARRY REDKNAPP - 11 (14.1%)
SAM ALLARDYCE - 3 (3.8%)
LUIZ FELIPE SCOLARI - 3 (3.8%)
MARCELLO LIPPI - 3 (3.8%)
FABIO CAPELLO - 13 (16.7%)
JURGEN KLINSMANN - 3 (3.8%)
Total Voters: 55

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Next England Manager?  (Read 5269 times)
Lumps

« Reply #45 on: Sunday, November 25, 2007, 19:01:10 »

Quote from: "sonic youth"
HODDLE?!

hoddle?

dearie me

Yeah imagine appointing someone who had a 100% qualification record; had a clear idea of the pattern of play he wanted, but understood the need to change that during the course of the game as required; that picked players that actually suited the positions and roles he needed in each game, and made sure the players understood what was needed from them.

England looked a good side under Hoddle. He was unfortunate that he managed the national side at the time between the end of Gazza as a useful international player, and the emergence of that Rooney lad.

It left him with a squad that he could organise into a team capable of both defending effectively and playing passing football, but unable to find a way through a well drilled defence. If you'd needed more than a point in that Italy away qualifier for the '98 WC he'd probably have been screwed.

Most of England's problems in taking that step further in the international game, getting past the QF and SF stages come down to this one factor.

You have such a paucity of players in midfield and attack that have more than one effective option when they recieve the ball.

Gazza, (and Beardsley, Waddle and Hoddle himself  before him) could receive a ball in midfield and have a choice - do I carry it forward and beat my man, or do I ping a pass to a teammate. It made him a fuck sight more difficult to defend against.    

British football hasn't produced anyone that can dribble as well as Gazza since. Rooney's not bad, and after that Joe Cole I suppose, (although successive managers at club and national level have done their best to knock dribbling out of Cole's game).

Wide players in the British game now are pretty much out and out speed merchants like SWP, who don't have anything like that sort of close control. Beckham of course is the exception, but he's a one off. Not a winger at all (having neither pace or a single trick to beat a full back), but a fabulous long passer of the ball. Most of the so-called "crosses" that Beckham delivers are curving diagonal balls from deep positions. I can't remember more than 2 or 3 occasions when I've seen Beckham make it to the dead ball line and deliver a square or cut back ball.

I'm not certain what's causing this poverty of talent in the British game, not just the English, but I'm guessing that it might have someing to do with the way in which kids play football now.

When I was a kid, (I know I now run the risk of sounding like Ron Manager), most of the football we played was unorganised. It was casual games with gangs of mates on the street or any patch of grass. Kids would happily showboat during games like this and no-one complained.

Now, even for quite young kids of 7 and 8, football is some sort of organised event. (My nephew, who's 16 now and at the Ciren Academy, was playing and training with teams 3/4 times a week from about the age of 7.)
So we've gone from kids having the freedom to be flash, to them being coached in pass and move, pass and move, (if they're lucky and not being coached to knock it long to the big lad) right from the off.

I know that the FA has tried very hard to impress on those coaching kids that the emphasis should be less on competitive success and more on the development of skills but franly it isn't fucking working.

Brazil seem to manage it through the widespread use of Fussball de Salon in their youth coaching. Maybe that would be worth a try?
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: Sunday, November 25, 2007, 19:12:01 »

you're right, the coaching at grass roots over here is done terribly. We as a nation, even at grass roots seem to care more about results.

On Holland, they play Mini Soccer 4 a side up till the age of 14. One Defender, Two Midfielders and One Striker - each week they rotate positions so everyone plays every where and no one gets pidgeoned holed into a set position till the age of 15.

It also means less emphasis on winning, formations, tactics and rules and more on the players ability.

Scotland, within the last couple of years have changed they way they coach at grass roots level to a more european style and it seems to be working.

I also agree about the wingers, it may seem like an odd and daft thing to say....but as a winger myself I used to love watching Stuart Ripley play. In his Blackburn days he was quality. He'd stay out on the touch line.....get the ball, run at the full back get back him, get to the byline and cross it in. Usually resulted with a headed goal from Shearer. Blackburn has Jason Wilcox down the otherside and its one of the factors that made them a good team.

Manchester United were the same. Giggs down one side and Kanchelkis down the other - proper wingers, albeit not english in this case.

England do lack a proper old fashion winger...
Simon Pieman
Original Wanker

« Reply #47 on: Sunday, November 25, 2007, 19:16:11 »

I see Houllier and Schuster are both being linked now. Even Andy King will be linked next. I hope.
Bogus Dave
Ate my own dick

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: Sunday, November 25, 2007, 19:23:04 »

We have a good "proper" left winger in stewart downing. Its just another case of a player not performing for england as they do for their clubs. If downing and bentley could consistently perform aswell as they can, thats the winger situation solved

Things get better but they never get good
Lumps

« Reply #49 on: Monday, November 26, 2007, 10:48:12 »

Quote from: "STFC dave"
We have a good "proper" left winger in stewart downing. Its just another case of a player not performing for england as they do for their clubs. If downing and bentley could consistently perform aswell as they can, thats the winger situation solved

No it wouldn't because only having one player to pick in each position is not good enough for a national side that hopes to actually do anything.

That's the problem you've got at the back, and look how bad things are when Cole, Terry and Ferdinand aren't available.
Ben Wah Balls

Ignore
« Reply #50 on: Monday, November 26, 2007, 11:01:08 »

Quote from: "jayohaitchenn"
Mourinho has not actually said anything about the job, this is all speculation, that's why the wording is just "BBC Sport understands", nothing official.
McLovin

« Reply #51 on: Monday, November 26, 2007, 12:09:12 »

The best football England have played in recent years was under Hoddle. I'd have him back.
Lumps

« Reply #52 on: Monday, November 26, 2007, 12:24:10 »

Quote from: "McLovin"
The best football England have played in recent years was under Hoddle. I'd have him back.

Fuck that I want him back here.

The bloody England team can sort themselves out.
McLovin

« Reply #53 on: Monday, November 26, 2007, 12:34:16 »

Good point!
bigbobjoylove

Ignore
« Reply #54 on: Monday, November 26, 2007, 14:47:09 »

Van Gaal would take England job

Former Holland coach Louis van Gaal has declared an interest in becoming the next England manager.

The Dutchman has been in charge at AZ Alkmaar since 2005 and has also had spells in charge of Barcelona and Ajax.

Van Gaal, 56, said there is a clause in his AZ contract which allows him to leave for a national team post.

He said: "There are many candidates but I'm willing to do it, otherwise I would not have a clause in my contract about a head coach's job of a national team."

The Football Association has begun the search for a successor to Steve McClaren, who was sacked on Thursday following England's failure to reach the Euro 2008 finals.

A number of high-profile candidates have already said they do not want the job - a post that Van Gaal claims he was offered once before.

"I was asked a few years ago (to take charge of England) but then I said no," he said.

"Maybe they will call me again now but I understand they (the Football Association) have other things on their minds, like digesting the fact they have not qualified for the finals of Euro 2008.

"I know the chance of becoming England coach isn't that big."
Matchworn Shirts
For Sale

Ignore
« Reply #55 on: Monday, November 26, 2007, 15:40:09 »

Jurgen Klinsmann has signalled his potential interest in becoming England manager - although it is thought that he would want control over the selection of his backroom team

That would mean he tries to poach Bierhoff, Kopke, Sammer - then I hope he doesn't get the job.

I cannot imagine they would give it to one of us though

I come from a land down-under
Ralphy

Ignore
« Reply #56 on: Monday, November 26, 2007, 16:16:23 »

A German in charge of England!
otanswell

Fuck em all...

Ignore
« Reply #57 on: Monday, November 26, 2007, 22:59:10 »

Quote from: "Ralphy"
A German in charge of England!

why not? he did alright with the krauts...i think he would do well..

fuck all this allardyce bollocks, he cant sign players on free transfers!

Ignore
« Reply #58 on: Monday, November 26, 2007, 23:20:04 »

I'm probably completely wrong but I would like an englishman to manage England.  Looking at the available candidates I'd go for Venables with Shearer and Pierce as understudies. I know they've just sacked TV but the players and the press are on his side so would be a good stop gap so some humble pie eating should be done.  We had a great Euro 96 and apart from personal dodgy dealings I never understood why Venables was shown the door anyway.
axs
naaarrrrrppppp

Ignore
« Reply #59 on: Monday, November 26, 2007, 23:25:35 »

i don't care what nationality he is as long as it's a good manager.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: