Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 [10]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: The Rugby  (Read 12343 times)
herthab
TEF Travel

Ignore
« Reply #135 on: Monday, October 15, 2007, 14:08:53 »

Just so you know Dell.

Euro 2004. Quarter Final England V Portugal. Uk viewing figure- 20.7 million.

Rugby World Cup semi final 2007. England V Australia. Viewing figure- under 7 million.

Stick that in your fucking pipe and choke on it Cheesy

It's All Good..............
jayohaitchenn
Wielder of the BANHAMMER

« Reply #136 on: Monday, October 15, 2007, 14:13:13 »

calm down Steve. Time of the month?

Everyone knows that football is the most popular and best game in the world.
janaage
People's Front of Alba

Ignore
« Reply #137 on: Monday, October 15, 2007, 14:16:09 »

Quote from: "herthab"
Just so you know Dell.

Rugby World Cup semi final 2007. England V Australia. Viewing figure- under 7 million.

Semi final??

What was the viewing figure for the French match?
dell boy

« Reply #138 on: Monday, October 15, 2007, 14:19:25 »

Just so you know Dell.

Fuck me thats a lot of people in pubs. I stated pubs Herthab, and you can only give an opinion of how many are in the pubs if you are there yourself or the landlord tells you what he took behind the bar, you should go into politics, it had nothing to do with viewing figures from ITV, BBC or Sky, go and argue with wall pal you might get the response you are looking for, I can also be an argumentative sod when people talk utter bollocks. Wink
Colin Todd

Ignore
« Reply #139 on: Monday, October 15, 2007, 14:19:43 »

Quote from: "Lumps"
So if England win the World Cup that means they're "the best team in the World". But they're not six nation champions so they're not "the best team in the Northen Hemisphere / Europe"! How does that work?

Similarly in football, Greece, by virtue of being European champs should be "the best team in Europe", but that would mean that Italy as current world Cup holders and therefore "the best team in the world" were paradoxically not "the best team in Europe"!

Can we just agree that winning the World Cup makes you "World Cup Winners" or even "World Cup Champions" rather than adding any other titles to it 'cause otherwise the contradictions get confusing?

And the whole "it doesn't matter how entertaining it is, who cares about the neutrals" arguement doesn't really hold water, unless the organisers are happy for the worldwide TV audience for their major international tournament to be largely restricted to the supporters of the two finalists.
The audience for the football WC final is overwhelming made up of neutrals, and that's what Rugby is trying to compete with. To do that it's got to be enjoyable to watch.

I'v not heard anyone that isn't an England supporter even try to argue that their style of play is entertaining. I'm not saying it isn't effective when the teams well organised, because the years under Woodward make that a demonstrable fact. I just find it dull and I don't think a tournament that became dominated by that style of game would encourage many to get more into the sport.

Be honest, if it was Wales or Ireland or Scotland that had ground their way to the final in a couple of low scoring forward battles how many of you would be enthusiastically planning which pub to watch it in at the weekend?

I've not seen anyone on here or elsewhere claim that England play entertaing rugby. That would just be bollocks.

Just accept that when people care, even a little, it makes it a lot more tense and exciting
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #140 on: Monday, October 15, 2007, 14:20:55 »

given the half decent viewing figures. I'd guess that people seem to be quite happy watching the Rugby being served up.  I find it's actually easier to get people not into sport to watch Rugby than it is to get them to watch football.  they find the sense of battle more interesting.

On the whole it's the Uk audience that fuels the world of rugby in terms of TV revenues, hence the kick off times in 2003 made to be as friendly as they could be to Uk TV audiences.  So if England reach the final, regardless of style and finesse, they'll get a good return.  Also, that self interest regardless of style was evident in Argentina, where they moved the Boca v River Plate game so people could watch the Rugby.  The Argies play even less expansively than most NH teams, yet a Nation wanted to watch them and the "neutrals" would have tuned in as well.

The game here will evolve soon anyway, as the SH teams are now encouraging their forwards to make the trip North for a couple of years and build their skills.  That'll mean England's game needs to change to gain a new advantage.  My guess is we'll see a move towards the SA style, somewhere between NZ and England.  Strong Pack, strong defence but a very athletic back line able to counter.  For the future of English Rugby we need a team like Gloucester to win the Prem this year and do well in the Heineken Cup as they best match the style needed (if lacking a bit in players in certain roles).
janaage
People's Front of Alba

Ignore
« Reply #141 on: Monday, October 15, 2007, 14:32:48 »

With Patterson and Lawson playing for Gloucester this year I hope they do well in all competitions!!
herthab
TEF Travel

Ignore
« Reply #142 on: Monday, October 15, 2007, 14:51:15 »

Quote from: "dell boy"
Just so you know Dell.

Fuck me thats a lot of people in pubs. I stated pubs Herthab, and you can only give an opinion of how many are in the pubs if you are there yourself or the landlord tells you what he took behind the bar, you should go into politics, it had nothing to do with viewing figures from ITV, BBC or Sky, go and argue with wall pal you might get the response you are looking for, I can also be an argumentative sod when people talk utter bollocks. Wink

You stated that if it was a run of the mill rugby game it would attract more viewers in a pub than if it was a run of the mill football game. I disagree.

You base your argument on the pub you go to, hardly scientific is it?

My local gets more punters for England footy games than it does for England rugby games, unless the rugby game actually means something and the football match is a non event.

Lets just agree I'm right and leave it at that Wink

And yes, it is my time of the month  Cheesy

dell boy

« Reply #143 on: Monday, October 15, 2007, 14:55:54 »

Quote from: "dell boy"
Just so you know Dell.

You stated that if it was a run of the mill rugby game it would attract more viewers in a pub than if it was a run of the mill football game. I disagree.

You base your argument on the pub you go to, hardly scientific is it?

My local gets more punters for England footy games than it does for England rugby games, unless the rugby game actually means something and the football match is a non event.

Lets just agree I'm right and leave it at that Wink

And yes, it is my time of the month  Cheesy

Happily agree you are right if you just get off my case for the rest of the day.
At times you sound just the like the wife, in the end she is always right, because I give up the fight just for peace and quiet. :|
Colin Todd

Ignore
« Reply #144 on: Monday, October 15, 2007, 14:56:38 »

gays
sonic youth

« Reply #145 on: Monday, October 15, 2007, 14:58:38 »

ruggays
herthab
TEF Travel

Ignore
« Reply #146 on: Monday, October 15, 2007, 14:59:16 »

Quote from: "Colin Todd"
gays

Get you...................

Colin Todd

Ignore
« Reply #147 on: Monday, October 15, 2007, 15:23:46 »

I was expecting a better bite than that from you two PMT fuckers Cheesy
jayohaitchenn
Wielder of the BANHAMMER

« Reply #148 on: Monday, October 15, 2007, 15:49:44 »

They've gone from angry to emotional. Don't worry, they'll swing back soon enough.
Simon Pieman
Original Wanker

« Reply #149 on: Monday, October 15, 2007, 16:25:53 »

All rugby is shit
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 [10]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: