Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 [8] 9 10   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: The Rugby  (Read 12528 times)
Matchworn Shirts
For Sale

Ignore
« Reply #105 on: Monday, October 15, 2007, 10:35:02 »

Quote from: "janaage"

Workmanlike, ordinary and in the end out of their depth.  Thank God for Diego and co seeing off the hun in the final, we could have had the worst world champions ever in 86.

Fat cheating bastard Maradona Wink

I come from a land down-under
dell boy

« Reply #106 on: Monday, October 15, 2007, 10:50:02 »

Quote from: "Dachauer"
Quote from: "janaage"

Workmanlike, ordinary and in the end out of their depth.  Thank God for Diego and co seeing off the hun in the final, we could have had the worst world champions ever in 86.

Fat cheating bastard Maradona Wink

Talented, drugged up, sick, fat cheating bastard!! Cool
Bushey Boy

Ignore
« Reply #107 on: Monday, October 15, 2007, 11:29:43 »

Quote from: "spacey"
It's fucking scum landlords that take all the houses.

I like the word Scum, its what my nickname is

Lumps

« Reply #108 on: Monday, October 15, 2007, 11:45:19 »

Quote from: "RobertT"
I happen to like watching a forward dominated game with the odd clean break or wide move.  I think it makes the game tense and keeps it very seperate to watching football.  It's also a way of playing that I have great respect for in so far as the sods put their bodies on the line over and over again.

It's only tense if you support one of the sides involved. You try watching it when you're a neutral. It's a good nap spoilt by the odd bit of over-excitment from the commentary team.

As I think Jan said if it was any other side but England playing this way you wouldn't have a good word to say about it. Actually most of you probably wouldn't have any words to say about it because  you would have forgotten about the competition as soon as you were knocked out.

And Spacey can rest easy, I take the Telegraph. I don't think I could bring myself to ever buy a copy of the Daily Mail. They've never quite managed to produce a headline to top the offensiveness of "Hurrah for the Blackshirts!", but they are clearly working hard at it.
Luci

Fatbury's Stalker

Ignore
« Reply #109 on: Monday, October 15, 2007, 11:48:54 »

Do you ever think for one minute that some of us might not be as critical of the style of play as you are?

Just cause you find it boring, doesn't mean everyone else does.  

You could look at it from our point of view that you're only saying the things youre saying because England ARE in the competition and if two other teams played in this way you wouldn't try and put such a dampner on things.
Samdy Gray
Dirty sneaky traitor weasel

Ignore
« Reply #110 on: Monday, October 15, 2007, 11:55:16 »

So if we happen to win the WC, retaining the title of world champions which nobody has ever done in the world of rugby, we're still shit? To me that says we're the best team in the world.

I don't really care if we win it without all this fancy-doo-dah back play. Like RobT, I quite like the foward play with them constantly putting their bodies on the line. And if we do win it, then it's obvious this fancy-doo-dah back play doesn't win you world championships, so Lumps can fuck off.
Luci

Fatbury's Stalker

Ignore
« Reply #111 on: Monday, October 15, 2007, 11:57:39 »

Quote from: "Samdy Gray"
So if we happen to win the WC, retaining the title of world champions which nobody has ever done in the world of rugby, we're still shit? To me that says we're the best team in the world.

Agreed.
Colin Todd

Ignore
« Reply #112 on: Monday, October 15, 2007, 11:59:18 »

Style is over rated. Give me victory at all costs any time. Cheating to victory is better than losing
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #113 on: Monday, October 15, 2007, 12:00:58 »

I watxched my first game many moons ago of Bath vs West Hartlepool, think is was not long after the change to becomming pro.

I've enjoyed watching Argentina, and their style is probably more staid than Englands in all honesty.  The Boks are currently an immense team because they can do what England do so well, but can also inject a little of what the Aussies and New Z can do at times.

Since when was sport about the neutrals anyway.  Our football was generally dour last season but I was more than happy with going up and I didn't give a shit if the rest of League 2 didn't find it entertaining.  When you have to pander to the neautrals you are on slippery ground, you end up with a team like New Zealand, full of great talent but a complete lack of understanding of what to do under pressure.  They spent about 5 mins going nowhere in the QF at the end when points were on offer.  So convinced were they that they should score a try that they completely fluffed winning a game they should have by a mile.

The final will be tough, SA should win but you just never know.
Stef Troll

Ignore
« Reply #114 on: Monday, October 15, 2007, 12:19:52 »

Quote from: "Samdy Gray"

Greece won euro 2004, but only a few people would argue that they were or are the best team in Europe.

The major limitation about the world cup (in both rugby and football) is that after the group stages, it is a straight knockout.

Whilst England have beaten both Australia and France, they have not played other teams like Argentina, New Zealand or Fiji- who all could conceivably lose or beat England on any given day.

To determine if England are the best team in the world, they should have played every team who managed to get into the quater finals at least once.  That way teams like New Zealand and Austraila who lose one game still have a chance of winning the overall trophy.
axs
naaarrrrrppppp

Ignore
« Reply #115 on: Monday, October 15, 2007, 12:22:09 »

and the competition would end in January.
Stef Troll

Ignore
« Reply #116 on: Monday, October 15, 2007, 12:25:11 »

Thats the only problem,

But its like Liverpool in the champions league.  They have been in the final a couple of times in the last 3 or 4 seasons.  However i doubt many people on here would put Liverpool among their top 3-4 teams in Europe.

Liverpool are good in cup football, as its usually only over 2 legs.  However when it comes to a longer format (eg the premier league), they are always consistently 20 points or so behind the leaders
spacey

« Reply #117 on: Monday, October 15, 2007, 12:28:13 »

If the best team is supposed to win, maybe they should just give them the cup and save everyone the bother.
Stef Troll

Ignore
« Reply #118 on: Monday, October 15, 2007, 12:32:36 »

If the best team is supposed to win, maybe they should just give them the cup and save everyone the bother.

All im trying to say is that these world cup's should be designed so that the best/better teams actually wins the cup.  The major problem with knock out style cups is that 1 team can have a bad day, and suddenly they are out of the cup.

Teams like Spurs, Newcastle, Everton have more chance of winning the FA Cup then the premier league for this reason
spacey

« Reply #119 on: Monday, October 15, 2007, 12:35:31 »

Quote from: "StefPol"

All im trying to say is that these world cup's should be designed so that the best/better teams actually wins the cup.  The major problem with knock out style cups is that 1 team can have a bad day, and suddenly they are out of the cup.

Teams like Spurs, Newcastle, Everton have more chance of winning the FA Cup then the premier league for this reason

I personally view that as a plus point.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 [8] 9 10   Go Up
Print
Jump to: