Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: XP From Vista  (Read 1364 times)
Nomoreheroes
The Moral Majority

Ignore
« on: Wednesday, October 10, 2007, 21:08:52 »

I know that there are a few techie types here so wondered if you can help?

Bought the father-in-law a cheap laptop a few months ago that came with Vista. He's having a bit of a job getting used to it and I've found it incredibly slow.

So, as a solution, I thought that I would put XP on instead (He's used to it from his pc and I assume that XP doesn't hog resorces like Vista?).

I have an XP Home Edition disk from my pc and assume that all I need to do is to insert the XP disk, get the laptop to boot from disk and then follow prompts to install. Is this correct or is there more to it than that?

Thanks,
NMH

You're my incurable malady. I miss the pleasure of your company.
Dazzza

« Reply #1 on: Wednesday, October 10, 2007, 21:12:57 »

Si is probably the best man but you'll need a license key otherwise it will plague the hell out of you and you can’t download the updates.

I got mine off ebay but they appear to be clamping down on it nowadays.  I was looking for one for a colleague and the listing was removed after a few hours

Nomoreheroes
The Moral Majority

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday, October 10, 2007, 21:15:16 »

I have a licence with the XP disk - Tis the one I use on this pc.

NMH

Dazzza

« Reply #3 on: Wednesday, October 10, 2007, 21:18:54 »

Quote from: "Nomoreheroes"
I have a licence with the XP disk - Tis the one I use on this pc.

NMH

The problem is when you register XP with Microsoft it creates an algorithm based on your computer’s hardware and will not allow that license to register again on a PC/laptop with a different spec.  

I think there are ways and means around it but it’s a bit of a headache and not foolproof at the end of the day.

STFC_Gazzza

« Reply #4 on: Wednesday, October 10, 2007, 21:25:37 »

YOu have to acquire a licence key for multiple pcs i think?
sonic youth

« Reply #5 on: Wednesday, October 10, 2007, 21:33:35 »

iirc any machine will accept a valid licence key but the issue only arises if you let M$ authenticate your genuine copy of xp...
Sippo
Living in the 80s

I ain't gettin on no plane fool

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday, October 10, 2007, 21:35:17 »

Correct mate. Just don't install the validation tool if you do a windows update.

If my calculations are correct, when this baby hits 88 miles per hour, you're gonna see some serious shit...
Simon Pieman
Original Wanker

« Reply #7 on: Wednesday, October 10, 2007, 22:38:53 »

The problem will arise when you come to activate it.

When I re-installed XP on my computer it detected so many different hardware changes I had to ring them to activate it. It's going to know that it's different hardware.
otanswell

Fuck em all...

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: Thursday, October 11, 2007, 12:15:54 »

Download one from a torrent site and get an activation crack. Mine works fine, can get updates and everything with it.

« Reply #9 on: Thursday, October 11, 2007, 12:25:04 »

If it's XP home Corp, no vaidation needs to take place, as with Pro Corp.

Is it SP2 or SP1? I only ask because i believe i have a crack which removes validation on pre SP2 installs.

You'll also run into a few problems with drivers, i recently downgraded an HP to XP and couldn't, for love nor money, get a wireless driver or soundcard driver? wtf?

You also find that once the full install is completed including any drivers, you have a device listed in Device Manager, which doesn't serve any purpose on any machines other than vista. It lists itself as PCI device, but is bizarrely nothing. Probably has something to do with their bollocks piracy prevention on Vista.

On the abve machine i installed Ubuntu instead and it worked straight out of the box! :shock: The owner, fortunately, preferred it and kept that. Nice.

I'm currently setting up an FTP server with my NAS at home, i have every version of windows ever including Bob, their serials and ISOs. If i get my arse in gear and sort this out, and of course if you're interested, i could provide you with my ftp to download one of the corporate versions?
Lumps

« Reply #10 on: Thursday, October 11, 2007, 12:38:40 »

Barry makes me feel like some sort of Neanderthal. I have no fucking idea what any of that means.
Power to people

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: Thursday, October 11, 2007, 15:41:51 »

Quote from: "Barry Scott"
If it's XP home Corp, no vaidation needs to take place, as with Pro Corp.

Is it SP2 or SP1? I only ask because i believe i have a crack which removes validation on pre SP2 installs.

You'll also run into a few problems with drivers, i recently downgraded an HP to XP and couldn't, for love nor money, get a wireless driver or soundcard driver? wtf?

You also find that once the full install is completed including any drivers, you have a device listed in Device Manager, which doesn't serve any purpose on any machines other than vista. It lists itself as PCI device, but is bizarrely nothing. Probably has something to do with their bollocks piracy prevention on Vista.

On the abve machine i installed Ubuntu instead and it worked straight out of the box! :shock: The owner, fortunately, preferred it and kept that. Nice.

I'm currently setting up an FTP server with my NAS at home, i have every version of windows ever including Bob, their serials and ISOs. If i get my arse in gear and sort this out, and of course if you're interested, i could provide you with my ftp to download one of the corporate versions?

Or you could just get a MVL from your previous employer and install it  Cheesy
jayohaitchenn
Wielder of the BANHAMMER

« Reply #12 on: Thursday, October 11, 2007, 15:42:40 »

thats what i do!
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Things can only get better

« Reply #13 on: Thursday, October 11, 2007, 16:24:45 »

XP Home contrary to popular belief can be installed in up to 3 different spec PC's without problem, so use the XP disk and code that you are using on the current PC, no problemos.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Nomoreheroes
The Moral Majority

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: Thursday, October 11, 2007, 21:58:16 »

Thanks for your help guys. A friend suggested dual booting and gave me this link:

http://apcmag.com/5485/dualbooting_vista_and_xp

Not sure what to do now?

for the time being I have installed a nex verion of ZA that works for Vista so the F-in-law is happy to try it again now for a bit.

NMH

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: