Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: A better thread !!  (Read 1896 times)
returnofthereds

« on: Thursday, September 6, 2007, 07:35:18 »

<<Back to index
Foxes deny Sturrock interest
Exclusive By Andy Cryer
Comment
LEICESTER City chairman Milan Mandaric has vehemently denied making an approach for Town boss Paul Sturrock and believes any potential swoop for the Scot would be "too messy" to be worth considering.

Sturrock emerged as one of the frontrunners for the Foxes managerial position in some quarters of the press yesterday but Mandaric has moved quickly to dismiss the rumours as just "pure speculation".

While a self-confessed admirer of his impressive managerial record, the former Portsmouth chairman insists Sturrock's name had not even crossed his mind and admits he does not expect to hold talks with Swindon.

advertisement"There is a lot of speculation around at the moment," he said.

"And this is just what this is. Pure speculation.

"I have not made an approach to Swindon for Paul Sturrock and I do not expect to.

"I am away for a few days now and then next week I will start looking at a few candidates.

"Paul Sturrock is not even a manager I had really thought about. I don't know why people are saying we have made an approach.

"When jobs like this are available you do get agents and people like that trying to promote their people. You really have to ignore all the speculation."

As Sturrock continues to work his magic in Wiltshire, rumours of third party interest in him is inevitable, especially with four promotions in the past six years behind him.

But with three years remaining on his County Ground deal, and having just brought in two players on long-term deals, Mandaric believes there would be too much baggage to even consider chasing Sturrock.

He said: "I respect Paul Sturrock.

"He is a good man and a very good manager, his past record more than shows that.

"But he is working at the moment and is obviously under contract. It would be far too messy for anyone to try and take him away.

"
wheretherealredsare
Change me

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: Thursday, September 6, 2007, 07:37:32 »

And the rest ...

http://www.swindonadvertiser.co.uk/sport/swindontown/headlines/display.var.1667756.0.foxes_deny_sturrock_interest.php
Luci

Fatbury's Stalker

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: Thursday, September 6, 2007, 07:40:10 »

In case ppl can't see the link heres the rest...........

Meanwhile Town moved quickly yesterday to deny any approach had been made for their manager.

A statement said: "Swindon Town Football Club would like to confirm that it has received no approach from any club with regard to manager Paul Sturrock.

"The club would also like to confirm that any approach would not be welcome and the club remain committed to League One success under Paul Sturrock's guidance."

Whether the speculation is true or not, the fact that a higher league club are rumoured to have shown an interest will surely increase Sturrock's bargaining power ahead of today's scheduled meeting with chairman designate Jim Little.

The two were supposed to meet yesterday, but Little was away on business.

They are expected to discuss a range of issues including new signing Mauro Almeida and prospective goalkeeping coach John Granville, with a press conference to follow on Friday.

And as news broke linking Sturrock with Leicester, Town players rallied round to give the County Ground boss their support.

Deadline day signing Jon-Paul McGovern, who played under Sturrock at Sheffield Wednesday, insists he would not have signed for Town if he thought for one second the manager was about to leave.

McGovern said: "Paul Sturrock has been a massive influence on my career and one of the main reasons I came to Swindon Town.

"I've not heard anything about the rumours so I would like to think he is staying. For him to leave would be a massive blow to me and a massive blow to Swindon.

"If I genuinely thought that would happen I would not have come here.

"Paul is such a good manager he is always going to be linked with any jobs that come up."

Town captain Hasney Aljofree, who played under Sturrock at Plymouth Argyle echoed McGovern's sentiments.

He said: "Obviously it's all just speculation at the moment, but if Swindon are doing well it's not surprising he has been linked with a big job.

"From the start of the season I spoke to the manager and he outlined his plans for the club.

"I would hope that he sticks to those plans and the players would come in and try to achieve that for him. I think he is a loyal manager who has got ambitions for Swindon Town. He has battled his own corner to get the players that he wants in and he is looking to take us to the next level."
returnofthereds

« Reply #3 on: Thursday, September 6, 2007, 07:45:15 »

I didn't post the rest of the article as it was just the Leicester side of things I thought important. Not the rallying around from our lot. That was expected really,especially from JP and the captain.
Dale_STFC

« Reply #4 on: Thursday, September 6, 2007, 07:45:21 »

I like this line!

"But with three years remaining on his County Ground deal, and having just brought in two players on long-term deals, Mandaric believes there would be too much baggage to even consider chasing Sturrock."

Soapy Tit Wank  Soapy Tit Wank
wheretherealredsare
Change me

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: Thursday, September 6, 2007, 07:46:48 »

Seems todays press conference will now be tomorrow as the PS/JL meeting didn't happen due to JL being away on business! It will happen today ... it says there.

(Rufus seems to be earning his corn as the gob et ween)

One good thing that may come out of the Leicester rumour is that it may crystallize things for the board and strengthen PS's hand in his clarification talk with JL.

Also, isn't it 20 days since JL told the trust the CVA would be settled within that time? Assuming the takeover is completed that is.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: Thursday, September 6, 2007, 08:13:11 »

Quote from: "wheretherealredsare"
One good thing that may come out of the Leicester rumour is that it may crystallize things for the board and strengthen PS's hand in his clarification talk with JL.

Which may well have been why the rumour was started

Also, isn't it 20 days since JL told the trust the CVA would be settled within that time? Assuming the takeover is completed that is.

20 calendar days, yes. As Batch (I think) pointed out elsewhere, 20 working days would take us to about the 17th
McLovin

« Reply #7 on: Thursday, September 6, 2007, 08:46:31 »

Nice of Jim to be 'away on business'...
wheretherealredsare
Change me

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: Thursday, September 6, 2007, 08:51:38 »

Aha but as the 30th  August was a public holiday in Kazan it will be the 18th? Unless there were any other holidays in Greece, Portugal and the USA of course!
Iffy's Onion Bhaji
petulant

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: Thursday, September 6, 2007, 11:36:44 »

Hopefully that Leicester view is true then...
Samdy Gray
Dirty sneaky traitor weasel

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: Thursday, September 6, 2007, 11:38:14 »

IIRC, Mandaric said the exact same thing before Redknapp went back to Pompey from Southampton.

So I'll be taking it with a huge pinch of salt.
thedarkprince

Hubba-hubba

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: Thursday, September 6, 2007, 19:15:32 »

Quote from: "Samdy Gray"
IIRC, Mandaric said the exact same thing before Redknapp went back to Pompey from Southampton.

That's exactly what I was thinking...

I'm hopeful though that it is just paper-talk.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: