Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Sturrocks update  (Read 2990 times)
Lumps

« Reply #15 on: Tuesday, May 15, 2007, 16:37:40 »

Quote from: "Reg Smeeton"
Quote from: "stfctownenda"
Quote from: "Rich"
doesn't he still live in Sheffield though? i also saw about Barry Corr. he may miss pre-season. hmmm i hope this injury isn't a serious one! like the fat levels thing though!

He lives up in Westlecott Place in Old Town with some of his coaching staff and Blair I believe.

Westlecott Road dear boy.....although I'm sure Luggy would feel right at home in the old Ship,  or the Falcon, or Wild Deer....Westcott Place was neve rthe same after they knocked down the Gardeners.

On the subject of the Wild Deer, can anyone ever remember ever having seen anyone go in there, or come out?

I lived in Swindon for over 20 years, and in Central ward for about half of that, and I don't think I ever saw a single person in the place through the window.

It was one of those mysteries of the area like the shop on Manchester road with 30 year old boxes of OMO in the window that never opened its door.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday, May 15, 2007, 16:43:57 »

Quote from: "Lumps"
Quote from: "stfctownenda"
Quote from: "Rich"
doesn't he still live in Sheffield though? i also saw about Barry Corr. he may miss pre-season. hmmm i hope this injury isn't a serious one! like the fat levels thing though!

He lives up in Westlecott Place in Old Town with some of his coaching staff and Blair I believe.

Westlecott Road dear boy.....although I'm sure Luggy would feel right at home in the old Ship,  or the Falcon, or Wild Deer....Westcott Place was neve rthe same after they knocked down the Gardeners.

On the subject of the Wild Deer, can anyone ever remember ever having seen anyone go in there, or come out?

I lived in Swindon for over 20 years, and in Central ward for about half of that, and I don't think I ever saw a single person in the place through the window.

It was one of those mysteries of the area like the shop on Manchester road with 30 year old boxes of OMO in the window that never opened its door.

E Eley think that place was called....sad to report its now gone ,,,even had the classic cursive script writing on the sign above the window.

Also sad to report,  reading the most recent edition of the local CAMRA newsletter, the Wild Deer is going over to flats....which may well be a consequence of no-one going in it.

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday, May 15, 2007, 16:48:11 »

an old work colleage of mine used to be a regular in the wild deer.i've been in there a couple of times,not for at least 8 years though.
OOH! SHAUN TAYLOR
- FACT!

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday, May 15, 2007, 16:51:57 »

I lived next door to the Wild Deer for two years back in the day and I went in there.....errrrrrr......let's think about this.........once.

That's how good it was :?
ronnie21

The Mighty Hankerton

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday, May 15, 2007, 17:19:45 »

The Wild Deer was really an old man's boozer, been closed for over two years now, believe Arkells turned down an offer for it to be turned into a large Indian restaurant, they are hoping to develop the site into housing.  Reg, where was the Gardeners?  Cannot place that one!
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday, May 15, 2007, 17:24:26 »

Quote from: "OOH!  SHAUN TAYLOR"
I lived next door to the Wild Deer for two years back in the day and I went in there.....errrrrrr......let's think about this.........once.

That's how good it was :?

Falcon is a decent enough boozer I've been in there a few times playing darts against them.

Some years back, the Falcon got to the final of a natioinal pubs Sunday league tourney thingy.....they had Don Rogers playing for them....poor old Don basically took corners and free kicks as he wasn't too mobile because of his hip replacements.

He shouldn't have done it, as it just led to needing another replacement....but he just loved the game.
yeo

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday, May 15, 2007, 17:32:35 »

I went in one of those pubs down that road the other week and it was basically just someones front room with a bar in the corner.

Unless I was so drunk I walked into someones front room :shock:

/
W56196272
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday, May 15, 2007, 17:39:54 »

Quote from: "ronnie21"
The Wild Deer was really an old man's boozer, been closed for over two years now, believe Arkells turned down an offer for it to be turned into a large Indian restaurant, they are hoping to develop the site into housing.  Reg, where was the Gardeners?  Cannot place that one!

Its was  where Peter Furkins Court is now housed.....Peter Furkins being some no mark Councillor. Why do they have to self aggrandize by getting sheltered accommodation named after themselves?.....Gardeners Arms Court sounds so much better.
TalkTalk

« Reply #23 on: Tuesday, May 15, 2007, 22:49:43 »

Quote from: "Lumps"

E Eley think that place was called....sad to report its now gone, even had the classic cursive script writing on the sign above the window.

Yep, it was E Eley. It used to fascinate me.

There was a story in the Adver a couple of years ago that the old dear who lived there who survived her shopkeeper husband by about thirty odd years was found dead. She'd been like that for quite a long time apparently.
redbullzeye

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday, May 15, 2007, 22:58:48 »

I had a flat near the Wild Deer and drank there on rare occasions.  On a different tack - Where Eagles Dare - isnt the bar they all get together called Zum Wildern Hirsh - the wild deer- or am I just pissed  Beers
ronnie21

The Mighty Hankerton

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday, May 16, 2007, 17:49:32 »

Quote from: "ronnie21"

Its was  where Peter Furkins Court is now housed.....Peter Furkins being some no mark Councillor. Why do they have to self aggrandize by getting sheltered accommodation named after themselves?.....Gardeners Arms Court sounds so much better.
Thanks Reg!   Incidentally for many years the Wild Deer was run by Merv and Carol Puffett.  Merv has died, but I saw Carol last year in a sheltered housing home over Stratton way.  The pub was never the same after Merv (fuck off) Puffett died!
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: