Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: the good old days  (Read 7331 times)
kaufman

« on: Sunday, February 20, 2005, 21:41:37 »

I've amended this post and added videos where i could and also took out a lot of the waffle.

My dad bless him used to tape all the swindon goals each week be it htv,sky or the beeb.There's a tape for each season starting from around 1987 to 1999!
I sat down and started to go through them last week and i have 1 more season to go.
I could go on and state all the obvious memories play off e.t.c but thought i would just put down some off the things that i noticed and have come to the conclusion of through watching these tapes and see if the memories come flooding back.

1.Dave bamber, this guy got more penalties than all our players over the past 20 years put together
The guy had amazing ball control and still can't grasp why he did not make it higher in his career for longer.

2. Jimmy quinn! lazy git but a hell of a shot. theres a game against bristol city in 87 where he scores a hatrick which is one the best hatricks i think there has been since I've been supporting us.

3.Bobby barnes...... no comment apart from what the hell happened to him? (edit: I see he's working behind the scenes for the PFA and has appeared in a few documentaries regarding Racism and Foreign players.

4.Phil kings hair was a sight to behold

5.lou macari! punching steve foley in the away dugout then admitting it in a interview and then goes on to say he would have done more.

6.the 11 pass move against middlesborough which Bamber finishes off, great goal, it was digbys comeback game after he had a pin put in his hand to hold it together, roger malone describes it as a mechanic hand!

7.Steve White's 2 goals against Bristol city as we whip em 4-0 at aston gate.
After the game when malone is trying to interview steve white, white keeps laughing because all the swindon fans locked in are shouting "we all agree roger malone is a wanker" It's picked up so well by the microphones you almost think the sound man made a special effort to pick it up!

8.Tim flowers in goal for us!

9.Shay given in goal for us!

10.Duncan shearer
This guy always seemed missed his first chance but the guy was awesome, without doubt swindon's goalscorer over the past 20 years, lets hope sammy parkin can make me eat my words.

Does anyone remember the shearer goal against blackburn when the fog came down in the second half? we won 4.3 but shearers goal came after a defender tried to clear it right by the sideline shrivenham road end about half way up the pitch! it hits shearers knee and lobs the keeper from about 35 bloody yards. it's so foggy in the second half you can't even see foley score the winner.

11.Jon gittens went for four hundred grand back to southampton.

12.Alan Mcloughlin 1990 what a player, the guy was my hero.

13.Nicky hammond, i lost count how many goals went over that guys head.

14.Mark hughes 1993 getting punched in the face by a swindon fan as he runs into shrivenham road stand.

15.lee barnard, acting a prat after we win the playoffs against gillingham!

16.Ross maclaren! Forgotten how overweight this guy was but he did have some great games for us, some of his passing along with hazard was the main reason for our success.

17.swindon 6 stoke 0  when we scored our 5th the stoke fans start cheering with us.

18.how on earth did Peter Thorne only go for 350 grand? again how this guy never made the premiership is beyond me! a great finisher and the goal against man u in the cup was fantastic.

19.Fitzroy simpsons goal against sheff wed when he takes on a couple and lobs the keeper from 25 yards, scored a few more goals than i remember.

20 Chris hay! was absolutely awesome at the start of the season, a great hatrick but my favourite goal was against norwich when he picked up the ball on the halfway line off allison then took on 2 players and then just lobbed it over the keeper, 1-0!

21.Frédéric DARRAS, (very sad to hear he passed away not long back)

22.Lee collins ( a wannabe Darren Bullock!)

23.Darren bullock! ( a wannabe Terry Hurlock! )

24.Wayne Allison! bruno, him, Thorne and Finney scored a hell of a lot of goals between them and it makes you wonder what would have happened if we would have just sorted out our defence, hmm sounds familar. (this was written in 2005)

25.Fjortoft... brought a lump to my throat watching this guy play, you forget how bad he was at the start and then just how good he was, so many great goals that i could go on forever! the goal against millwall and then to hear jimmy greaves screaming stroll on in the commentry box! (edit, lovely play from beauchamp for the first goal)

26.Our pitch was awful in the 94,95 season i think it was! it looked like wembley 69.

27.MY FAVOURITE  roger malone commentary when romeo zondervan scores the winner against us for ipswich at the county ground! this is what he says! "now watch out for the lad coming up on the left he's called romeo zondervan,here he comes WHERE FOR,WHERE FOR ART THOU ROMEO HERE I ART! AND THERES AN ARTFUL LITTLE TOUCH TO MAKE IT 3-2

Sorry if this has bored some of you but thought some of you might find this interesting!

« Last Edit: Thursday, March 15, 2012, 00:52:32 by kaufman » Logged
blinkpip
His Infernal Majesty

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: Sunday, February 20, 2005, 22:06:39 »

Quote from: "kaufman"

26.our pitch was fucking awfull in the 95,96 season i think it was! it looked like wembley 69!

1995/96 Season we had a good pitch look like carpet. Seen my first game that season. agianst Blackpool 1-1.

But watching old vids are great. I got a few myself and Swindon golden goals.

ee the trick is only pick on those that can't do you no harm
Like the drummer from Def Leppard's only got one arm

I annoyed Yeovilred 28/01/06
kaufman

« Reply #2 on: Sunday, February 20, 2005, 22:16:09 »

must have been the year before! i can't remember so many games! swindon golden goals yep gonna do that one last to see if all the best are in there!
if remember don't they have a bristol city goal in there. allison scores it i think?
« Last Edit: Thursday, March 15, 2012, 00:29:43 by kaufman » Logged
reeves4england

We'll never die!

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: Sunday, February 20, 2005, 22:16:20 »

Could have been my first game, maybe my second.
kaufman

« Reply #4 on: Sunday, February 20, 2005, 22:18:43 »

christ i feel old now!
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: Sunday, February 20, 2005, 23:51:13 »

Good stuff there, I'd only really question your Thorne thing....I'm in the middle of doing a bit of research on players who've scored 30+ league goals that I've seen. There are 27, Thorne isn't one of them.

His attitude, once he'd rejected a new contract stunk to high heaven as a disgrace to the red shirt..

Bobby Barnes works for the PFA.

I'm sure it should be possible, to put this stuff onto some kind of archive that can be accesible to fans so look after it
Dazzza

« Reply #6 on: Monday, February 21, 2005, 01:57:28 »

http://www.swindon-town-fc.co.uk/

Has a great archive and loads of stats, it would be great to see a few more news clips and fans opinions.

As for Darras he was last seen playing for A.S. RED STAR 93 no idea if he's still there or not, must be close to retirement if he is.

http://www.redstar93.fr/homepage.asp?flash=y

yeo

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: Monday, February 21, 2005, 05:59:05 »

1.dave bamber! this guy got more penalties than all our players over the past 20 years put together!  the guy had amazing ball control and still can't grasp why he did not make it higher in his career!

I think he was my first favourite player, pure gypo Cool

11.jon gittens! went for four hundred grand back to southampton! jesus!

What I remember most about Gittens is his high pitched squeaky voice .

7.steve whites 2 goals against bristol city as we whip em 4-0 at aston gate! the interview after when malone is trying to interview steve white but white keeps laughing because all the swindon fans locked in are shouting we all agree roger malone is a wanker !which is picked up so well by the microphones you almost think the sound man made a special effort to pick it up!

I remember when we got relegated for the financial stuff Malone was at the County Ground car park reporting for HTV and 3 or 4 blokes went for him.He stammered "Im just doing my job lads" and one of these lads gave him some shit about City and punched him in the face Soapy Tit Wank

/
W56196272
kaufman

« Reply #8 on: Monday, February 21, 2005, 14:33:40 »

Quote from: Reg Smeeton
Good stuff there, I'd only really question your Thorne thing....I'm in the middle of doing a bit of research on players who've scored 30+ league goals that I've seen. There are 27, Thorne isn't one of them.

His attitude, once he'd rejected a new contract stunk to high heaven as a disgrace to the red shirt..

fair point! did not know about this attitude! as i said it's just going from what i can remember of him and the tapes!

My point was more to do with the fact that he could have become a top player but maybe for these reasons you mentioned is why he never!
then again playing for cardiff is not what you would call failure.
« Last Edit: Thursday, March 15, 2012, 00:33:27 by kaufman » Logged
dogs

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: Monday, February 21, 2005, 20:06:01 »

ahh you're lucky to have all that footage, I have certain season reviews and videos but not enough. If only you could get copies!
retro p

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday, February 22, 2005, 02:15:15 »

tell you're old chap that i'll give him £ 50  for the job lot of tapes

quick sale - no need for ebay

if not would love copies
kaufman

« Reply #11 on: Tuesday, February 22, 2005, 15:24:05 »

£50???  i don't think you can put a price on them! the tapes are quite old now so we hardly ever play them, i might stick them onto dvd some day though!
« Last Edit: Thursday, March 15, 2012, 00:33:55 by kaufman » Logged
yeo

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday, February 22, 2005, 18:18:04 »

Do it bang them on DVD and sell them to us ,youll make a bomb.

/
W56196272
Spencer_White

« Reply #13 on: Tuesday, February 22, 2005, 18:25:05 »

£££££££££££

Wink
Sussex

« Reply #14 on: Tuesday, February 22, 2005, 20:37:39 »

Abso friggin' lutely!

There must be at least 40+ users on here that'd pay for                                                               a copy of all that on DVD.

Kerrching for you chap!  Wink
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
Print
Jump to: