Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Too much on williams plate?  (Read 1976 times)
Piemonte

« on: Monday, October 30, 2006, 10:44:20 »

Much like myself last night Eat

I dont really see how one bloke is supposed to pick the team, organise the defence and decide on subitutions tactical changes etc.

Its not a critisim of him as such, hes been class this season and a role model captain. He did the best he could on saturday but it is it a co-incidence that the one cock up he has made this season (that I can remember anyway) came on saturday?

For me the substitutions came too late on saturday, which again my be a by-product of Adie being on the pitch and having other things to think about.

I really dont think he should be our new manager which is again nothing personal against him. I just dont see how he can play and run the team at the same time.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: Monday, October 30, 2006, 10:45:47 »

Think he'll drop to the bench on Saturday.
fatbury

« Reply #2 on: Monday, October 30, 2006, 10:48:19 »

agree with Piemonte on this .. thought that was his worst game in a Swindon shirt .. shame as hes been very solid until now .. I Imagine Ifil to come in and replace him with Nicho going to the left side in Williams place .. but he should never have been given the job .. it may end up costing us a player if Williams doesnt get the job
OOH! SHAUN TAYLOR
- FACT!

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: Monday, October 30, 2006, 10:49:14 »

I agree. Listening to his post-match interview on Saturday, it is clear to me that it's going to be too much for Adie to play and manage.

Either he won't be 100% focused and will be much less effective as a player or he will decide he has to stop playing to focus fully on the management side and we lose him completely. We're not in a position to allow either scenario to occur.

So yes, we definitely need a manager and Adie can be player/coach or something like that.
Rich Pullen

« Reply #4 on: Monday, October 30, 2006, 10:50:19 »

The board cannot dwell... If they do we'll lose sight of the front runners.

But as discussed the board probably want this anyway, so what's the point of discussion.

This is one of the most important football decisions they will make... I doubt the conclusion will suprise us.
juddie

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: Monday, October 30, 2006, 11:00:10 »

I think adi will drop to the bench, with nichjo partnering jerel in the middle. Nicho was superb saturday.
Danjackson10

« Reply #6 on: Monday, October 30, 2006, 11:21:31 »

nicho was very good saturday!
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: Monday, October 30, 2006, 11:23:17 »

Poor old Williams spent the best part of the last 20 mins in almost constant communication with the Bench.  not ideal when he's supposed to be the leader on the pitch.
Frigby Daser

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: Monday, October 30, 2006, 13:19:44 »

Agreed. He even mentioned he's had to train separately because there's so much to do as a player-manager. It just seems to have all fallen on his plate at once. Remember McMahon had Andy Rowland and then Mike Walsh. Hoddle had Gorman - these player-managers had an old-head to take much of the work of their shoulders, and they went into the job as a manager first and foremost, and played as an addition to that.

Adie is a player, and a vital one at that. he's our skipper and we must not sacrifice what he's brought to the club in that role. He just seems overrawed by it all.

Going on what Martyn Starnes has said in the Adver though, it seems clear that the Wills'/Diamandis have made their minds and will for the next few weeks slowly let us know he'll be permanant - 2 wins out of 6 will do it for them.
Spencer_White

« Reply #9 on: Monday, October 30, 2006, 13:46:41 »

I cant see how Williams dropping himself would improve us. He has been superb in defence for us this season.

Its a joke. You cant cut staff at every level and expect to get away with it. Its the most important job at the club, and the board need to put in some effort and thought into who to get in.

Either appoint from within or bring back Andy King seem to be their only considerations. Useless.
fatbury

« Reply #10 on: Monday, October 30, 2006, 13:54:36 »

Quote from: "The Moonraker"

Adie is a player, and a vital one at that. he's our skipper and we must not sacrifice what he's brought to the club in that role. He just seems overrawed by it all.

Going on what Martyn Starnes has said in the Adver though, it seems clear that the Wills'/Diamandis have made their minds and will for the next few weeks slowly let us know he'll be permanant - 2 wins out of 6 will do it for them.

Pretty obvious isnt it .. however will he get those 2 wins?
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: Monday, October 30, 2006, 18:05:51 »

I was willing to give him a chance...but saturday was clearly too much...he wasnt his usual self on the pitch

Dropping to the bench wont help matters because Nicho and Ifil doesnt inspire me as a defensive unit. Both good players but I believe our defence needs an old head.

If the board are going to give Adie the job then we need an expirenced decent number 2....and no Hunter doesnt fit the bill.

This is a big decision, it should be about football....not money but we all know it will be the cheapest option because thats how we do things.
janaage
People's Front of Alba

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: Monday, October 30, 2006, 19:28:41 »

Quote from: "RobertT"
Poor old Williams spent the best part of the last 20 mins in almost constant communication with the Bench.  not ideal when he's supposed to be the leader on the pitch.

To be fair Barry "The Haircut" Hunter didn't really help on this front.
DMR

« Reply #13 on: Monday, October 30, 2006, 21:44:36 »

Whilst I agree with all this, it is very much stating the obvious.

I'll back Williams and it could be an inspired choice but we're too dependant on him as a player to risk losing that side of his contribution.
Northern Red

« Reply #14 on: Tuesday, October 31, 2006, 15:28:28 »

Any player-manager needs a good assistant who can run the game on matchday - has Adie got one?
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Print
Jump to: